California Town May Snub Out Smoking at Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saddletramp
    exactly. Besides how would or could such a low be enforced? Home visits? By the smoke police?
    Every district should have a NPO (Neighborhood police officer) who only works with these types of cases. Usually no tickes are given and the dispute is usually attempted to be resolved by the NPO through discussion between him/her and the neighbors.

If an HOA/town/county enacts a law like this, it falls under the public nuisance catagory.
    sigpic
    The only thing that can stop the ninja.
    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
      Every district should have a NPO (Neighborhood police officer) who only works with these types of cases. Usually no tickes are given and the dispute is usually attempted to be resolved by the NPO through discussion between him/her and the neighbors.

If an HOA/town/county enacts a law like this, it falls under the public nuisance catagory.

But by making a part of the city's code, doesn't automatically make it crime beyond that. Like most in the nuisance category, it would be a misdemeanor, and a matter of public record, as oppsoed to a dispute between two private parties within a HOA or with the HOA itself.

That is a lot of wasted police effort.

And I have never heard of an NPO anywhere I have lived.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove

\

We have one and hes an ass - hes self elected of course - but I have a house with two kids ages 14 and 18 thusly I have teenagers of all ages going to and fro and most hours - this guy constantly call the police on us although the police continue to tell him we do nothing wrong - yes we can be a bit loud and rucous (sp?) but when the time gets right I make sure everything is calm and quiet - i mean these people have called the police when I was the only one home - so i know they are being asses - they actually called my daughters boyfriends work cause he parked the pump truck on the street suring lunch - so its bad enough we have to deal with people being unreasonable - we shouldnt have the govt being that way (more than they do already)

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
          \

We have one and hes an ass - hes self elected of course - but I have a house with two kids ages 14 and 18 thusly I have teenagers of all ages going to and fro and most hours - this guy constantly call the police on us although the police continue to tell him we do nothing wrong - yes we can be a bit loud and rucous (sp?) but when the time gets right I make sure everything is calm and quiet - i mean these people have called the police when I was the only one home - so i know they are being asses - they actually called my daughters boyfriends work cause he parked the pump truck on the street suring lunch - so its bad enough we have to deal with people being unreasonable - we shouldnt have the govt being that way (more than they do already)

Why would parking a truck be reportable to the police? Or to a job? What is he suppsoed to do, not park it and leave it drive or something?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

Comment

Get a grip there is a Easy soloution why not put smokers in one apartment building and non smokers inanother... i hate anti smokers.. there almost as bad as racists... what they need to do is worry about Drunken Drivers(prevention)Child molesters, Terrorists and illegall immigration..gonna step away From the polotics though...not allowedhere
            The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
            While he sits by his hearth at home.
            Quickly finds when questioned by others .
            That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
              But by making a part of the city's code, doesn't automatically make it crime beyond that. Like most in the nuisance category, it would be a misdemeanor, and a matter of public record, as oppsoed to a dispute between two private parties within a HOA or with the HOA itself.

That is a lot of wasted police effort.

And I have never heard of an NPO anywhere I have lived.
              I agree completely, as my past posts in this thread have made perfectly clear I am sure. A full fledged ban is about as useful as a cold sore IMO.

As for NPO's, there are good ones and bad ones, as is the case with all cops. And I'm sorry, I should have clarified. If you live in CO (although this case applies to CA, I know ) every ditrict in the metro area should have an NPO. If you do not have an NPO, then very often a ditrict will maintain a CRO (community resource officer) who will generally fill the same job.

Sucks about your neigbor Orange. Can't say I have any advice in that situation that would calm the situation rahter then inflame it further.
              sigpic
              The only thing that can stop the ninja.
              Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
                Get a grip there is a Easy soloution why not put smokers in one apartment building and non smokers inanother... i hate anti smokers.. there almost as bad as racists... what they need to do is worry about Drunken Drivers(prevention)Child molesters, Terrorists and illegall immigration..gonna step away From the polotics though...not allowedhere
                Totally agree - pretty soon we will have the fruit and vegetable police checking to see if we all eat the proper amounts every day

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
                  Totally agree - pretty soon we will have the fruit and vegetable police checking to see if we all eat the proper amounts every day
                  Not even close to the same thing. Whether or not you eat fruits and veggies effects your health. Whether or not your smoke gets into other people's lungs effects somebody elses life.

I am sure construction companies were saying the same crap about anti-asbestos people. Damn politicians making us go and spend millions of dollars ripping this stuff out. Who cares if a few people get sick, those people don't have to go in the buildings if they don't want...
                  The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                    Not even close to the same thing. Whether or not you eat fruits and veggies effects your health. Whether or not your smoke gets into other people's lungs effects somebody elses life.

I am sure construction companies were saying the same crap about anti-asbestos people. Damn politicians making us go and spend millions of dollars ripping this stuff out. Who cares if a few people get sick, those people don't have to go in the buildings if they don't want...
                    Geez - I was just trying to lighten this up a little - OK?

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2949708

Im sorry but thats just crazy - I hate cigs but still - this is pushing it, IMHO
                      OB, you have given a breath of life to those who may otherwise be brain dead!

First, I don't smoke. Oh, I have, but quit for health reasons. ('sides, I started to run again, and smoking really puts a damper on that.) But, while I smoked, most nonsmokers didn't even know I smoked. Why? Because I was discreet. And I respect the rights of nonsmokers. Not a gov-given "right," but a natural right. The respect that one human being should naturally give to another.

I don't want to live in a totalitarian world. (I'm thinking that smoking is good for veteran smokers, in that this may speed their demise out of this freaking pod-people place.) I sure hope that these pinheads in office don't outlaw it, cuz I just might want to start up again if I ever achieve age 80. It might steady my nerves while I watch what the else these arrogant bastards do to screw up the land I once knew.

I cannot believe that, just a couple generations away from the WWII crowd--you know, the ones who kept us and Europe out of the ravages of Hitler--their progeny have become so lame in thinking! Whatever happened to those "Question Authority" phonies on campus in the 60's?

Oh, I know. They are now well heeled-and living large within their gated communities. Some of them are even presently employed and self-delegated to be the ones making the rules for everyone else to live by. Orange and Blue is right. Well, she is part right. This is no longer America.

This is bigger than a matter of your local government nanny looking out for your collective "best interests," kiddies. This is a matter of a bunch of egocentric "representatives" who go to their offices each day, as you do. Big difference is this. They get paid to micromanage you, and you are too damn busy making your own individual livings to watch out for what in the hell "they" are doing to screw up your life, next week!

This is the same damn type of mentality that "justifies" stealing the home your grandparents grew up in to put up a shopping center.

And, to all the government nannyists out there, if you are not smart enough to find a way to dodge an occasional puff of second-hand smoke, I don't know what else to say to you.

Uhh... Darwin, mebbe?
                      Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2949708

Im sorry but thats just crazy - I hate cigs but still - this is pushing it, IMHO
                        Couldnt agree more. I am into cigars and smoke them every once in a while, but never have I smoked one in the house. I still should be able to have that choice!! Damnit this is straight out dumb.
                        SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud
                          Couldnt agree more. I am into cigars and smoke them every once in a while, but never have I smoked one in the house. I still should be able to have that choice!! Damnit this is straight out dumb.
                          I agree with you [read my post above], but my only issue is what is "dumb."

First, you are a solid citizen--and an "adult." You are adult in that you exercise your individual discretion with regard to the concerns of others. You don't need some lame damn law to assist you in being a human being. You don’t need a “Handicapped” place set aside for you by some government pinhead, in order to for you and yours to eek out your life in pristine safety. Your training wheels are off. And I suspect that more is owed for that to your parentage than of to today's self-appointed government nannies.

Here's my issue with the term, "dumb." "Dumb" really understates the problem here. Those who get paid to go to their government offices each day under the guise of writing new law in accordance to what they decree to be “best” (in their Collectivist opinions) for the rest of us sheep to live by becomes far more insidious than "dumb."

The really "dummies" in this scenario are us…

…for putting up with this brand of bureaucratic micromanagement!

--Patrick Henry forever!
                          Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Working...
                          X