Pet Food Recall (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Food Recall (merged)

Good thing for pet owners to know. Click on the website listed, as they provide many different brand names.

Mar 16, 2007 9:28 pm US/Mountain

Pet Food Recalled After 10 Cat And Dog Deaths

Katherine Blake
    Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

Naomi Tibaldo had no idea her dogs' favorite food is part of a recall.

"I could have taken that home and my dog would have been sick and I might not have known why," she said. "It just seems like every time you turn around there's something else we have to be worried about."

She almost bought the dog food, until she found out it could cause kidney failure.

"I don't like for my dogs to be sick," she said. "Nobody wants their dogs to be sick."

Jeff Young is the president of Planned Pethood in Denver. He told CBS4 what to expect if your pet gets sick from eating the food.

"It's going to be the same for cats and dogs and basically you have lethargy, vomiting, and they might drink more and pee more," he said.

He also said if you have any of the recalled food at home, don't give it to your pet.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site -- www.menufoods.com/recall -- early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.
    Last edited by Denver Native; 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Good thing I feed my golden, 'Nutro Ultra' dry dog food! Thanks for the info!

Comment

It would be a good idea for anyone with cats or dogs to click on the manufacturer's website, as they manufacture cat and dog food sold under many different names. They list all of the brand names there.

Comment

Luke says thank-you too..

Comment

Thanks for the update, DN!
          Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Thanks for the information. Our furry friends thank you, too.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Thanks for the info...sent it to my parents as their dog eats one of those!!! Great post...{{{HUGS}}}

Thanks again!!!

Comment

The big pet food recall

Anyone have any problems or trouble from the big pet food recall these last few days?

Fortunately, we feed our cats dry food. No problems here.

Anyone have to toss their food? I'm pretty sure if someone's cat or dog had taken ill, there would be a thread about it already.

Comment

Someone posted a link when the story first broke...I was glad, my mom and dad's dog eats some of that food and some of his was on the recall list!!!

Thanks for asking...glad you and your furbabies are all good...

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                    Anyone have any problems or trouble from the big pet food recall these last few days?

Fortunately, we feed our cats dry food. No problems here.

Anyone have to toss their food? I'm pretty sure if someone's cat or dog had taken ill, there would be a thread about it already.
                    We feed dry food to our poodles, but it makes you a lot less confident about what you give your dogs.

I heard on Fox today that the company fed it to a couple groups of test dogs and cats and about 1 in 6 animals died, but they have yet to identify the contaminant.

Kind of sad that they are using cats and dogs to confirm their food was actually the problem, but I guess that was the only way.
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shanniefly
                      Someone posted a link when the story first broke...I was glad, my mom and dad's dog eats some of that food and some of his was on the recall list!!!

Thanks for asking...glad you and your furbabies are all good...
                      There was already a thread?

I missed it! And I looked! :doh:

Sorry about that. I'll look again and do a little merging.

Comment

Here is the latest. Appears they have determined the cause to be "RAT POISON".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17754681/

• Rat poison found in tainted pet food
                        March 23: Rodent poison has been found in pet food that killed several animals. NBC's Tom Costello reports.
                        MSNBC

ALBANY, N.Y. - Rodent poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday.

Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison.

State agriculture officials scheduled a news conference Friday at 1 p.m. EST to release laboratory findings from tests on the pet food conducted this week.

The rat poison, which may have been used on wheat imported from China, is illegal in the U.S., NBC News correspondent Tom Costello told MSNBC TV.

The deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been reports of kidney failure, some fatal, in pets that ate the recalled brands. The company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

The recall has sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels like Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. Call centers hired by the company received 47,000 calls over the weekend, Henderson said.

There have been tests on 10 cats that died performed by an outside company for Menu Foods. The results show only that the cats died of acute kidney failure.

The FDA has sent investigators to New Jersey and Kansas plants operated by Menu Foods.

Wheat gluten is a source of protein and was used to thicken the gravy in the pet food, sold in both cans and pouches, according to the FDA.

Reason for recall delay
                        A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web site. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information — (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.

Menu Foods is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

The company delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying, according to chief executive Paul Henderson. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated by heavy metals or mold toxins, according to the FDA.

Vet connects cases
                        At least one veterinarian in New Hampshire reports seeing cases of sick cats and dogs before the massive pet-food recall that she's sure are now connected.

Lee Garrod of the Portsmouth Emergency Veterinary Clinic says since the recall, she's called pet owners back and asked them what they were feeding, and the brands and codes were a match.

Garrod said her experience with local cases shows a 50 percent mortality rate for cats and dogs who became sick after they ate the food.

"I was seeing young cats that had me baffled," she said. "One woman even brought all of her house plants to be tested."

Garrod said she's seen six affected animals in Maine, one in Goffstown and 12 in Portsmouth.

"We have successfully treated half," she said, adding that the food doesn't affect every cat.

Richard Uncles, director of the Division of Regulatory Services in the state's veterinary offices, said the pet food recall is unprecedented in its scope. The division is responsible for licensing animal food products.

"I can't recall anything remotely like a recall of this magnitude," Uncles said. "There are so many brands involved. We were in a conference call with the Food and Drug Administration, and there are as many unanswered questions as answered ones. ... What is difficult is trying to pinpoint the source, and the recall is unusually broad, including private packers, producers of many house brands and store label brands."

Garrod said anyone who thinks their pet may have eaten the food should bring it in to have the pet's kidneys and urine tested.

Comment

Thanks for the update...scary stuff!!!

I will keep my oppinion to myself about importing wheat to Kansas...

Comment

Rather then feed your pet(s) ANY wet food (I dont), try mixing in a cup of cottage cheese. At least until they get this concern handled..

Comment

Yep! They suspect rat poison was used on the wheat from China.

There are some sad, sad people out there who have lost their pets.
                              "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Working...
                              X