No announcement yet.

Pet Food Recall (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the latest: What bothers me is where it says "The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said."

I would think it should IMMEDIATELY come out with the "unnamed company".

Tests Confirm Chemical in Pet Foods
    Friday, Mar. 30, 2007 By AP/ANDREW BRIDGES Article ToolsPrintEmail (WASHINGTON) — Recalled pet foods contained a chemical used to make plastics, but government tests failed to confirm the presence of rat poison, federal officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.

Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of cat and dog food earlier this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the Canadian company's products. It is not clear how many pets may have been poisoned by the apparently contaminated food, although anecdotal reports suggest hundreds if not thousands have died. The FDA alone has received more than 8,000 complaints.

The new finding comes a week after scientists at the New York State Food Laboratory identified a rat poison and cancer drug called aminopterin as the likely culprit. The FDA said it could not confirm that finding.

New York officials have detected melamine as well, though it's not clear how that chemical would have poisoned pets. It's typically used to produce plastic kitchen wares, though it's apparently used as a fertilizer in Asia, said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The recall involved nearly 100 brands of "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food made by Menu Foods. The recall covered products carrying names of major brand-name and private-label products sold throughout North America.

The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said.

Menu Foods used wheat gluten, a source of vegetable protein, to thicken the gravy of its pet foods, FDA officials have said.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Thank you, Denver Native. I hope you don't mind, but I'm posting some of the articles you find on another forum (lots of concerned pet owners). You're a good source for breaking news.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
        Here is the latest: What bothers me is where it says "The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said."

I would think it should IMMEDIATELY come out with the "unnamed company".

Tests Confirm Chemical in Pet Foods
        Friday, Mar. 30, 2007 By AP/ANDREW BRIDGES Article ToolsPrintEmail (WASHINGTON) — Recalled pet foods contained a chemical used to make plastics, but government tests failed to confirm the presence of rat poison, federal officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.

Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of cat and dog food earlier this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the Canadian company's products. It is not clear how many pets may have been poisoned by the apparently contaminated food, although anecdotal reports suggest hundreds if not thousands have died. The FDA alone has received more than 8,000 complaints.

The new finding comes a week after scientists at the New York State Food Laboratory identified a rat poison and cancer drug called aminopterin as the likely culprit. The FDA said it could not confirm that finding.

New York officials have detected melamine as well, though it's not clear how that chemical would have poisoned pets. It's typically used to produce plastic kitchen wares, though it's apparently used as a fertilizer in Asia, said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The recall involved nearly 100 brands of "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food made by Menu Foods. The recall covered products carrying names of major brand-name and private-label products sold throughout North America.

The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said.

Menu Foods used wheat gluten, a source of vegetable protein, to thicken the gravy of its pet foods, FDA officials have said.
        The "Unnamed company" should be released Denver, I feel the same way as you do on this. That way no one else loses a pet unnecessarily while they do their investigative work. I have my retriever on IAMS dry dog food for large dogs, so I would hope they are not one of them, considering the company of IAMS was for the canned food.
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD
          Thank you, Denver Native. I hope you don't mind, but I'm posting some of the articles you find on another forum (lots of concerned pet owners). You're a good source for breaking news.
          No problem - need to get the word out to as many as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
            The "Unnamed company" should be released Denver, I feel the same way as you do on this. That way no one else loses a pet unnecessarily while they do their investigative work. I have my retriever on IAMS dry dog food for large dogs, so I would hope they are not one of them, considering the company of IAMS was for the canned food.
            Yes, the unnamed company should be released immediately, as we were all told at first that this did not affect dry pet food!!!!!!
            Last edited by Denver Native; 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Denver Native..

Man.. I don't know what to feed my little puppy anymore. I was giving him the puppy chow but I don't even know if I can really trust that anymore. I stopped feeding him any kind of dog food after this came out and have lately been giving him scraps and such..

This really does suck.
              sigpic

Comment

I just found this article: I will keep researching, and post whatever I find:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4673221.html

March 29, 2007, 5:56PM
                FDA targets chemical in Iams pet food

© 2007 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday it has issued a warning letter to Iams Co. that says some of its diet pet foods contain an unapproved substance.

Eukanuba Veterinary Diets Optimum Weight Control/Canine dry, Optimum Weight Control/Feline dry, Restricted-Calorie/Canine dry and canned, and Restricted-Calorie/Feline dry and canned contain chromium tripicolinate, which is not an approved food supplement, the FDA said.

The warning follows a recall of nearly 100 brands of pet food made by Menu Foods after animals suffered kidney failure. That recall included some Iams products made under contract by Menu Foods.

New York state's food laboratory last week identified aminopterin as the likely culprit in that recall, which involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food.

The new warning letter urged Iams to remove chromium tripicolinate from the products but did not ask for a recall.

In 1996, the FDA said it would not block the use of low levels of chromium tripicolinate as a source of supplemental chromium in diets for pigs. But that did not apply to other animal food. Chromium can affect the metabolism of glucose in animals.

Iams requested that that decision concerning swine be extended to its products for overweight pets, but FDA said it denied the request. It said a 2006 letter from Iams did not contain sufficient information to address safety concerns.

Iams will remove the ingredient from its Veterinary Diets cat and dog food, spokesman Kurt Iverson said. The products are sold by prescription only for overweight pets. They have used chromium tripicolinate as a metabolism enhancer, Iverson said.

The letter is part of an "ongoing dialog" with the FDA, Iverson said.

The FDA considers chromium tripicolinate to be genotoxic, meaning it can damage DNA and cause mutations and tumors.

The letter was dated Jan. 8 and posted on the FDA's Web site Thursday.

___

On the Net:

Food and Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Here is latest statement from Menu Foods:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/0703...030%202007.htm

Comment

Here is latest:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=67236

Pet food recall expands to include dry food

posted by: Jeffrey Wolf , Web Producer created: 3/30/2007 4:14:59 PM
                    Last updated: 3/30/2007 4:24:31 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal testing failed to confirm the presence of a cancer drug also used as rat poison as the recall expanded Friday to include the first dry pet food.

However, testing did find a chemical used to make plastics.

The Food and Drug Administration said Friday it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food involved in the original recall and in imported wheat gluten used as an ingredient in the company's wet-style products. Cornell University scientists also found melamine in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating some of the recalled food.

Meanwhile, Hill's Pet Nutrition recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food. The food included wheat gluten from the same supplier that Menu Foods used. The recall didn't involve any other Prescription Diet or Science Diet products, said the company, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co.

Hill's says it is making the precautionary recall because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for the recalled cat food was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods.

Click here to learn more about Hill's pet food recall.

FDA was working to rule out the possibility that the contaminated wheat gluten could have made it into any human food. However, melamine is toxic only in high doses, experts said, leaving its role in the pet deaths unclear.

The melamine finding came a week after scientists at the New York State Food Laboratory identified a cancer drug and rat poison called aminopterin as the likely culprit in the pet food. But the FDA said it could not confirm that finding, nor have researchers at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey when they looked at tissue samples taken from dead cats. And experts at the University of Guelph detected aminopterin in some samples of the recalled pet food, but only in the parts per billion or trillion range.

"Biologically, that means nothing. It wouldn't do anything," said Grant Maxie, a veterinary pathologist at the Canadian university. "This is a puzzle."

Meanwhile, New York officials stuck to their aminopterin finding and pointed out that it was unlikely that melamine could have poisoned any of the animals thought to have died after eating the contaminated pet food

Click here for the complete list of recalled food from Menu Foods.

Comment

ANOTHER RECALL:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PET_FOOD_RECALL?SITE=CODER&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEF AULT&CTIME=2007-03-31-10-03-00"%20%20class="ap-newsbriefitem-a;

Pet food recall expands to new wet brand

By ANDREW BRIDGES
                      Associated Press Writer

FDA Tests Reveal New Chemical in Pet Food

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recall of wet and dry pet foods contaminated with a chemical found in plastics and pesticides expanded Saturday to include a new brand even as investigators were puzzled why the substance would kill dogs and cats.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China.

The same U.S. supplier also provided wheat gluten, a protein source, to a Canadian company, Menu Foods, which this month recalled 60 million containers of wet dog and cat food it produces for sale under nearly 100 brand labels.

Menu Foods and the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the pet food industry, have refused to identify the company that supplied the contaminated wheat gluten.

Hill's Pet Nutrition said late Friday that its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food included the tainted wheat gluten. The FDA said the source was the same unidentified company. Hill's, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co., is so far the only company to recall any dry pet food.

Federal testing of some recalled pet foods and the wheat gluten used in their production turned up the chemical melamine. Melamine is used to make kitchenware and other plastics. It is both a contaminant and byproduct of several pesticides, including cyromazine, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Melamine is toxic only in very high doses and has been shown in rats to produce bladder tumors, according to the EPA.

The federal pet food testing failed to confirm the presence of aminopterin, a cancer drug also used as rat poison, the FDA said. Cornell University scientists also found melamine in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating some of the recalled food.

Earlier, the New York State Food Laboratory identified aminopterin as the likely culprit in the pet food. But the FDA said it could not confirm that finding, nor have researchers at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey when they looked at tissue samples taken from dead cats.

Experts at the University of Guelph in Canada detected aminopterin in some samples of the recalled pet food, but only in very small percentages.

"Biologically, that means nothing. It wouldn't do anything," said Grant Maxie, a veterinary pathologist at the university. "This is a puzzle."

The FDA was working to rule out the possibility that the contaminated wheat gluten could have made it into any human food.

Menu Foods announced the recall this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the company's products.

An FDA official allowed that it was not immediately clear whether the melamine was the culprit. The agency's investigation continues, said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Menu Foods said the only certainty was that imported wheat gluten was the likely source of the deadly contamination, even if the actual contaminant remained in doubt.

"The important point today is that the source of the adulteration has been identified and removed from our system," said Paul Henderson, Menu Foods chief executive officer and president. Henderson suggested his company would pursue legal action against the supplier.

About 70 percent of the wheat gluten used in the United States for human and pet food is imported from the European Union and Asia, according to the Pet Food Institute, an industry group.

One veterinarian suggested the international sourcing of ingredients would force the U.S. "to come to grips with a reality we had not appreciated."

"When you change from getting an ingredient from the supplier down the road to a supplier from around the globe, maybe the methods and practices that were effective in one situation need to be changed," said Tony Buffington, a professor of veterinary clinical sciences at Ohio State University.

Sundlof said the agency may change how it regulates the pet food industry.

"In this case, we're going to have to look at this after the dust settles and determine if there is something from a regulatory standpoint that we could have done differently to prevent this incident from occurring," he said.

Comment

Working...
                      X