Good books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books?

Well it is Spring Break and I got nothing to do. My parents are making me go to the library (its "raining" right now though ) to borrow some books. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I am 14 years old but I have a reading level of post high school.

I read all of them Tom Clancy books, wasted my time reading Harry Potter (hated it), I've read 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Eragon, Eldest (AWESOME), a lot of Harry Turtledove, and some other really good and well-known books that escape my memory right now.

The Eyes of the Dragon

A book by Stephen King published in 1987. At the time it was a surprising deviation from the norm for King, who is best known for his horror fiction. This book is a work of classic fantasy, with a clearly established battle between good and evil and magic playing a lead role.
    One of my favorites. Enjoy..

Comment

im on the steven king kick myself

he has a series he just finished call "the dark tower"
      it is 7 books in total but a fantastic read.
      im on book 5.
      you can just type in the dark tower and youll find loads of info about it
      they just started a comic series too
      and hopefully a movie will come out.
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by horsesense
        A book by Stephen King published in 1987. At the time it was a surprising deviation from the norm for King, who is best known for his horror fiction. This book is a work of classic fantasy, with a clearly established battle between good and evil and magic playing a lead role.
        One of my favorites. Enjoy..
        Thanks.

I guess no one else here on Broncomania reads besides for stats and assessments and draft profiles...

Comment

The Dark Tower was epic. I feel in love with Jake, Eddie, Susan, Oy, and of course Roland is the man. I was dissapointed the way it ends though. I wont get into it. (dont want to give any of it away), but Id like to hear your thoughts when you get to the end.
          The Talisman in another great read, although King shares the duties with Peter Straub in that one. First book I ever cried at the loss of a character..

Comment

I'll check those out.

Have you guys read "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton? Very good book.

Comment

I read a lot and go to the library at least once a week.

I would suggest you start reading the classics...or at least a lot of books commonly studied in high school. Some of those are my favorite books and then you also it makes it so you dont have to read them when you have no time.

Some of my favorites though are:

The Grapes of Wrath -- John Steinbeck
              The Great Gatsby -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
              As I Lay Dying -- William Faulkner
              A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man -- James Joyce

I like weird books. heh.
              ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Waaaaah The first book of The Dark Tower series (The Gunslinger) is lost or checked out at the libraries near me.

So far I only got The Eyes of the Dragon.

Any more book suggestions? My mom is going to be really mad if I came home with one book.

Comment

I read Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six during vacation last summer, it was one of the best books i've read. If you liked the Tom Clancy books than you may end up liking these.....

Thin Red Line (takes place on Guadalcanal during WWII)

-----

One Perfect Op: Navy SEAL Special Warfare Teams (life of a U.S. Navy SEAL)

R.I.P. D.Nash, D.Will

Comment

I'd love to read Thin Red Line. Sadly I looked it up on the catalog and it's not at the library that I have to walk to.

But I requested it

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
                      I'll check those out.

Have you guys read "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton? Very good book.
                      I have...

I recommend The Giver by Lois Lowry

Comment

Well I'm off to the Library.

The Giver and The Eyes of the Dragon is at the library I'm going to, and the others I have requested.

And I'll check out new books too.

Thanks guys.

Comment

if you've already gotten your books for spring break, here are some recommendations for later. . . and yes, many of us do read other than stats-- don't assume that no one reads just because people don't answer your post immediately. . . .

practical demonkeeping by christopher moore-- absolutely hilarious! moore's style and sense of humor are very unique. . . fluke is another book by moore-- it's not AS good as practical demonkeeping, but you might enjoy it since it's set in hawaii. . . his books are all worth reading. . .

tortilla flat by john steinbeck-- a great book to take a look at if you're interested in one of america's best writers, but are intimidated by the grapes of wrath. . . this book is much shorter and less intense-- light-hearted and funny, but it's still a solid introduction to steinbeck's style. . . cannery row is another steinbeck that i love-- turtle, you should check these out if you haven't already read them. . .

the sicilian by mario puzo-- a great tale of a freedom fighter's battle against the mafia from the man who wrote the godfather. . . .

love in the time of cholera by gabriel garcia-marques-- he has a fantastic blend of wit and compassion. . . blends tragedy and comedy seamlessly. . . originally written in spanish. . .

neuromancer by william gibson-- the godfather of cyberpunk. . . his books are a little dated now, but they're still very much worth reading. . . one of the best sci-fi books ever written. . . it's so fast-paced you'll probably read it in a few sittings. . . .
                          Last edited by dogfish; 03-21-2007, 04:39 PM.
                          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

If you want some titles from Stephen King, You might try Needful Things or It both are great books The Outsiders I read in high school or was it jr. high? not sure but it was a real good book.

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
                            R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
                              Thanks.

I guess no one else here on Broncomania reads besides for stats and assessments and draft profiles...

I just finished Jugde and Jury by James Patterson. If your into suspense this was an edge of your seat book! I finished it in less than a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X