X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Toad caught in Australia!

Group captures dog-sized ‘monster’ toad

Updated: 4:06 a.m. ET March 27, 2007
    DARWIN, Australia - An environmental group said Tuesday it had captured a “monster” toad the size of a small dog.

With a body the size of a football and weighing nearly 2 pounds, the toad is among the largest specimens ever captured in Australia, according to Frogwatch coordinator Graeme Sawyer.

“It’s huge, to put it mildly,” he said. “The biggest toads are usually females but this one was a rampant male ... I would hate to meet his big sister.”

Frogwatch, which is dedicated to wiping out a toxic toad species that has killed countless Australian animals, picked up the 15-inch-long cane toad during a raid on a pond outside the northern city of Darwin late Monday.

Cane toads were imported from South America during the 1930s in a failed attempt to control beetles on Australia’s northern sugar cane plantations. The poisonous toads have proven fatal to Australia’s delicate ecosystems, killing millions of native animals from snakes to the small crocodiles that eat them.

‘Sensational fertilizer’
    As part of its so-called “Toad Buster” project, Frogwatch conducts regular raids on local water holes, blinding the toads with bright lights then scooping them up by the dozen.

“We kill them with carbon dioxide gas, stockpile them in a big freezer and then put them through a liquid fertilizer process” that renders the toads nontoxic, Sawyer said.

“It turns out to be sensational fertilizer,” he added.

Toad link
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Awesome!!! Toads are rad! He doesn't look very happy in the photograph.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
      Awesome!!! Toads are rad! He doesn't look very happy in the photograph.
      Cane toads are really bad. They're screwing up the Aussie environment! And idiots catch them and lick them for the hallucinagenic slime on their backs.

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
        Cane toads are really bad. They're screwing up the Aussie environment! And idiots catch them and lick them for the hallucinagenic slime on their backs.
        I just don't like it when they kill animals because they don't belong in a certain place. The toad can't help that he was born a toad, just as we can't help that we are born human. The toad is just trying to go about his life the same as you and me.

Comment

I just don't like it when they kill animals because they don't belong in a certain place. The toad can't help that he was born a toad, just as we can't help that we are born human. The toad is just trying to go about his life the same as you and me.
          But the toad is not native to Australia. It is an introduced species. NZ has a similar problem with Brushtailed possums being introduced and screwing up the native eco-system.

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Yeah, but that doesnt make killing him wrong. For example, I'm a huge flyfisherman and lately the lakes in the Southwest are being polluted by mollusks and asian fish that kill and destroy the natural enviroment. You can bet if I catch one, I will kill it.

Its humans fault that these things got here in the first place.
            Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Wow Kap. First there was the giant squid of the coast of NZ and now toads the size of dogs in Australia? Do ya'll down under have a radiation leak somewhere?

Seriously that is bizarre. And to have these toads introduced to Australia for a specific reason (kill/eat the beetles) means somebody didn't think that through. For every action there is a reaction.

And those morons that lick the toads to get high?? That is disgusting. Do these people get sick and/or die?
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro

How did a person even discover that the slime on their backs
                could cause hallucinations
                Last edited by KCLadyFan; 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM.
                Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                  How did a person even discover that the slime on their backs
                  could cause hallucinations

Maybe when they kissed the toad to change it into a prince?
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD
                    Maybe when they kissed the toad to change it into a prince?
                    good point...
                    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Surprise surprise, when they got some for the zoo in Amsterdam, someone stole them!

Mate Aussies will lick anything!

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Working...
                      X