Just found a car... Saturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found a car... Saturn

I was driving by a local car dealership and it came right at me. A 98 Saturn(I think its a 2nd generation SC), not sure about the mileage, but it's a coupe, manual transmission, a few scratches here or there but other than that it looks fine. I couldn't see the mileage because it's one of those gay cars where you have to turn the car on to see the mileage.

SOOOO... I really don't know ish about Saturn's, but I just read on Edmunds.com that manual transmission Saturn's get 40 MPG, which is amazing.

So other than that, how do they run? Are they dependable? How many miles should I expect out of it until it goes down the toilet?

Thanks
    sigpic

If you are not familiar with used cars/know what to look for have a mechanic look it over. Any used car dealer will let you do this.
    A well maintained Saturn can be very reliable and good on gas.

Good luck....... :thumb:

Comment

I am on my second Saturn, and LOVE it. I loved the first, too, and made a definite decision when that one was totaled that I wanted another Saturn, rather than get something different.

I don't know how much mileage you'll get out of it before it dies, because I lost the other one in an accident, but mine's at 67 thousand miles right now and showing no signs of issues.

Good luck, I say go for it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
        I was driving by a local car dealership and it came right at me. A 98 Saturn(I think its a 2nd generation SC), not sure about the mileage, but it's a coupe, manual transmission, a few scratches here or there but other than that it looks fine. I couldn't see the mileage because it's one of those gay cars where you have to turn the car on to see the mileage.

SOOOO... I really don't know ish about Saturn's, but I just read on Edmunds.com that manual transmission Saturn's get 40 MPG, which is amazing.

So other than that, how do they run? Are they dependable? How many miles should I expect out of it until it goes down the toilet?

Thanks
        Wellllll....I had a 2000 and it didnt get anywhere NEAR 40mpg!!! More like 28-30 Highway. Be sure to change the oil EVERY 3k miles or it runs like Poop! Same with the tires...they gotta be Full at all times and rotated every 10k miles. Watch the curbs as well...the sub frame (or whatever) isnt really that strong. Be super nice to the clutch as well...mine went out after 9 months and there was only about 65k miles on it!

IMO...I hate Saturns!

But, you might have better luck!
        Snk16!!
        VulcanGLF2

Comment

with a space name like saturn, how can you go wrong??

sigpic

Comment

Thanks
            Have a good time with your Saturn... It will last you lots of miles.
            R.I.P. Darrent Williams

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Comment

40 mpg for manual transmission? *laughs* maybe an automatic......(maybe)

my friend has had his for a while now.
              sigpic

Comment

I think sticks are suppose to get better mileage than
                automatics.

I bought a SL2 new back in 1996.I had it for 5 years and
                when I traded it with 74,000 miles on it,it was still running
                very well.

The only thing I had to have done is the alternator was
                replaced at about 71,000 miles.

We have a 2004 Ion now and so far it is a good car,it has
                around 38,000 miles on it and it is just used by my husband
                to drive back and forth to work and he said he is averaging
                about 34 miles per gallon.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!!
                Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                  I think sticks are suppose to get better mileage than
                  automatics.
                  Nope, your wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
                    Nope, your wrong.
                    No I don't think so as I know my
                    husband has told me this...
                    and according to this site...sticks do get
                    the better mileage.

However, there some things that I don't like about automatics. Once is the fact that you don't get as good gas mileage as a manual. This is because you need the car to shift for you, which uses up a certain amount of gas. Another thing is that you don't have complete control of the car. You lack the ability to shift to whatever gear you really need(to be safer) to be in rather than the gear that the car chooses for you, based on speed, and not the road conditions.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-...39063EC2-prod4
                    Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                      Another thing is that you don't have complete control of the car. You lack the ability to shift to whatever gear you really need(to be safer) to be in rather than the gear that the car chooses for you, based on speed, and not the road conditions.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-...39063EC2-prod4
                      YES, precisely. The first time I drove stick, I was like... Whoa, I feel like I'm actually pushing the car and really controlling it. Another thing is, you're a lot more aware with a manual than with an automatic. People with automatic cars just go with the flow, stick shift actually tests your driving capabilities. And the best part about it is that you can ALWAYS improve.
                      sigpic

Comment

YES, precisely. The first time I drove stick, I was like... Whoa, I feel like I'm actually pushing the car and really controlling it. Another thing is, you're a lot more aware with a manual than with an automatic. People with automatic cars just go with the flow, stick shift actually tests your driving capabilities. And the best part about it is that you can ALWAYS improve.
                        my brother tried teaching me how to drive his car.
                        I was pretty hard on the clutch.I never did get the hang
                        of it,I think I gave up too easy...
                        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

With a manual transmission(which I love love love) you have so much more control. Every car you drive will have slightly different clutch handling, and so your skills are more finely honed. You have to pay more attention to your vehicle too, as you chnage gear in response to the engine. I find that this means you can tell when something bad happens, cos you're more used to the noises your car makes.

I've said this before, but in NZ every driver is required to get their license in a manual car. You can only take your tests in an automatic if you have a medical certificate.
                          President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                          I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
                            Nope, your wrong.

No, your wrong.

As long as you shift when you're supposed to, a stick is easier on gas than auto.

This is like basic car knowledge.

Comment

Automatic trans uses a torque converter filled with up to 9 quarts of trans fluid, it's very heavy and makes the motor work harder.

Manual trans does not have a torque converter.

In most cases a car with a manual trans will get better mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X