I am thinking of getting a new dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking of getting a new dog

I just recently lost my dog(old age). I was thinking of getting a new one. i was thinking of getting a Dogue De Bordeaux AKA (french bullmastiff) i was wondering if anyone had ever owned one. and could shed any light in on there personalities. habits,strengths and weaknesses. i have had pitbull terriers in the past so i am used to there ways.

I love Dogs. so if you would like to just talk about dogs that is cool with me as well.

I don't know too much about this breed but..

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100097/

Maybe that can show you a bit about their personality. That's a pretty good site.

Character: The Dogue De Bordeax is used on many occassions for watch or guard dogging. This breed must be socialized well at an early age to avoid any aggressive problems in the future. Overall, this dog is not for the inexperienced.

Temperament: A very intimidating breed, this dog can also be calm and gentle given the proper home environment and socialization. This breed, if male, should not be placed in a home with another male. A powerful breed, the Dogue De Bordeaux does well with children but should always be supervised.
    Last edited by Spyder; 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Found the following: I have a little Silky Terrier - she is great, and I know she understand what I am saying to her.

DOGUE DE BORDEAUX

aka French Mastiff, Bordeaux Bulldog
      FRANCE - At least 99 lbs. 22.8"-26.7" Fine, short and soft to the touch. Colors include all shades of fawn, from mahogany to isabella, with limited white patches permissible on the chest and the extremities.
      FCI/116, AKC (FSS Only)

La Société des Amateurs de Dogues de Bordeaux
      (Primarily, in French)

Dogue de Bordeaux Society (US) and
      DDBS Rescue

The United States Dogue de Bordeaux Corporation
      (5/5/98: Rescue Info "under construction" - 2/99 & 7/99: Rescue Info still not available)

Club für Molosser e.V. (German)

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

I don't know much about that breed, but if you are still open to suggestions of a type of dog to get, I would suggest a Brittany Spaniel. Not always the smartest dogs out there, as mine proves lol, but I love my Brittany just because he is always there and seems to be drawn to people. Most Brittanys are like that, and he is about 5 now and still acts like he is about 1, which is just more fun lol.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Get a hold of the rescue groups, cos there will be bound to be someone who got a dog they thought they could hndle, and either don't have the time, or it's too big, or playful.

That way, you get the breed you want, and a dog gets a home!

For anyone considering a pedigree dog, get in touch with rescue programmes!

Or, look at greyhounds, cos the retired ones make great housepets(P.S. the are superlazy couch potatoes!).
          President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
          I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
            Get a hold of the rescue groups, cos there will be bound to be someone who got a dog they thought they could hndle, and either don't have the time, or it's too big, or playful.

That way, you get the breed you want, and a dog gets a home!

For anyone considering a pedigree dog, get in touch with rescue programmes!

Or, look at greyhounds, cos the retired ones make great housepets(P.S. the are superlazy couch potatoes!).
            i am a BIG fan of rescue groups. i am not a big fan of gray hounds.
            i know yall are gonna howl at me but i am also not a big fan of socializeing my dogs to the outside world. i would not mind however mind socilzeing them to other dogs.. my dog is there to protect my home. also i know its not surefire but i have set up pitgaurds from my dog eating the random neighbors

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_Rampage
              i am a BIG fan of rescue groups. i am not a big fan of gray hounds.
              i know yall are gonna howl at me but i am also not a big fan of socializeing my dogs to the outside world. i would not mind however mind socilzeing them to other dogs.. my dog is there to protect my home. also i know its not surefire but i have set up pitgaurds from my dog eating the random neighbors
              If you're dogs are there to protect your home, then that's fine.

I can get where you're coming from, so no need to apologise. If you protect the general public that's cool.

Folks who enter your property with the intention of committing a crime deserve to get anything your dog dishes out!
              President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
              I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                If you're dogs are there to protect your home, then that's fine.

I can get where you're coming from, so no need to apologise. If you protect the general public that's cool.

Folks who enter your property with the intention of committing a crime deserve to get anything your dog dishes out!

LOL yeah i live in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. I am all agaisnt animal cruelty. and any sort of abuse i just like to know when i leave for work i am not gonna (hopefully) come home to my house being ransacked. one of the reason i am looking to get this dog is that are extremely intimidateing.. and will scare off the meak.(sp)

Comment

my dog is a black lab and god knows what mix and i believe we only payed about 200 dollars id say do that because she looks like a pure-breed and shes still like a normal puppy unless u want to breed the dog yourself or use it to compete in some way id say go with the mixes from shelters they have puppies like mine who are just as sweet at a cheaper price

i love my dog lots

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

LOL yeah i live in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. I am all agaisnt animal cruelty. and any sort of abuse i just like to know when i leave for work i am not gonna (hopefully) come home to my house being ransacked. one of the reason i am looking to get this dog is that are extremely intimidateing.. and will scare off the meak.(sp)
                    If that is the reason for the dog... get a German Shephard... they are very good dogs, and there is a reason why police forces use them lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
                      If that is the reason for the dog... get a German Shephard... they are very good dogs, and there is a reason why police forces use them lol.
                      I LOVE german shepards. when i was a kid i had a Completly White One. That is also the dog that made me make sure my dog was safe agaisnt people and vice versa. i just thougth i would switch it up a tad.

As far as shelters go. there are so many dogs that need homes it's not even funny. it seriously breaks my heart to see dogs so mistreated and so unwanted.
                      i might if i find the right dog to adopt.

Off topic a tad. has anyone watched the Dog Whisper series. or read his book.
                      i am completly about half way through. that guy is so good with dogs. its not even funny i envy the gentleman

Comment

I LOVE german shepards. when i was a kid i had a Completly White One. That is also the dog that made me make sure my dog was safe agaisnt people and vice versa. i just thougth i would switch it up a tad.

As far as shelters go. there are so many dogs that need homes it's not even funny. it seriously breaks my heart to see dogs so mistreated and so unwanted.

i am completly about half way through. that guy is so good with dogs. its not even funny i envy the gentleman
                        I so plan on having a German Shephard when I grow up... that and a Husky... which brings up another pretty good dog for things like you want a dog for, and I am sure you can probably find a nice decently young Husky in a shelter.

Comment

I so plan on having a German Shephard when I grow up... that and a Husky... which brings up another pretty good dog for things like you want a dog for, and I am sure you can probably find a nice decently young Husky in a shelter.
                          I'm trying to get me a German Shepherd now. Some person I know has recently had puppies and plans to let me pick one out. They're pure black, so they look like mini bears sorta. I love those dogs.
                          Last edited by Spyder; 03-31-2007, 11:54 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I like huskies. its funny how dogs take on there owners personalities.

Comment

I've seen that show on TV a few times now. He's amazing with dogs and how they react whenever they're around him.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X