Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahhhhh....That's How Whales Get Beached!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhhh....That's How Whales Get Beached!

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/footage20_2.html
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

I think the most amazing part of that is the way he was able to force himself back into the water from there... that must take an amazing amount of strength.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

thats just amazeing..

THanks people ... now not only will i not get knee deep in the water no more .. .but i will remain ten feet from the shore at all times
      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
      While he sits by his hearth at home.
      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Yep. Killer whales are very crafty in this fashion. Not only do they attack like that on a regualr basis for seals, but they work in pods on shore attacks and in the oceans, so they are an excessively smart predator. Remember though that the killer whale is really a huge dolphin. On a side note, dolphina also hunt like this (certien speicies) and very often will grind one side of their teeth down to nothing gnawing on dirt as they try and catch a kill (dolphins only attack smaller animals and fish this way).

Other whales like Bugela whales get beached because of mating methods and tides. But Killer whales are one of the few "whales" that hunt in a fashion that they cna beach themselves in this fashion. As far as I understand it, this happens ver yrarely. All info was courtesy of the discovery channel, science discovery channel, and PBS .

If you ever get a chance to watch the documentary series Blue Planet which was produced by the BBC, or the film using the same footage named Deep Blue, I would suggest it. It is an amazing documentary about hte ocean. By far the best..... Of the two I would suggest blue planet, as it explains much much more about the life that is pictured, where as Depp blue the movie only occasionaly explains things.

Also that new Planet Earth documentary series about all life, includign the episode about the deep oceans is very good .
        Last edited by BigBroncLove; 04-02-2007, 07:17 PM.
        sigpic
        The only thing that can stop the ninja.
        Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Not cool!

I want my CP back from the otter thread.

I do not like the cruel moments that beautiful mother nature possesses.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
            Yep. Killer whales are very crafty in this fashion. Not only do they attack like that on a regualr basis for seals, but they work in pods on shore attacks and in the oceans, so they are an excessively smart predator. Remember though that the killer whale is really a huge dolphin. On a side note, dolphina also hunt like this (certien speicies) and very often will grind one side of their teeth down to nothing gnawing on dirt as they try and catch a kill (dolphins only attack smaller animals and fish this way).

I was watching them hunt a baby whale, and when he would try and surface for air, the Orca's would take turns jumping on it to knock it back down. They eventually drowned it. It was sad to watch the mother whale try and fight them off to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
              I was watching them hunt a baby whale, and when he would try and surface for air, the Orca's would take turns jumping on it to knock it back down. They eventually drowned it. It was sad to watch the mother whale try and fight them off to no avail.
              YEs, that was a rather sad part. That is nature though, and there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. While it is terrible they drownd the young whale and killed it, whale fall is a major part of deep sea life, and what those two Orcas didn;t eat surely went to good use at the bottom of the ocean to feed many many species who rely on such whale fall....

Nature is cruel at times though. That part wasn;t especially fun to watch as you keep rooting for the young whale to find refuge on it's mothers back.....
              sigpic
              The only thing that can stop the ninja.
              Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Working...
              X