Cool new coaster in Williamsburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool new coaster in Williamsburg

I'm going to Williamsburg and am a coaster nut, so I wanted to se if they had any coasters since my last visit several years ago.

This thing is floorless - 10 seats across - 3 rows deep -- 205 foot 90*/straight drop -- 2 immelman looops -- 4 G's. Looks cool.

It won't have been open for long when I go, which my wife isn't going to lilke, but I am looking forward to checking this out.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Originally posted by tnedator
    I'm going to Williamsburg and am a coaster nut, so I wanted to se if they had any coasters since my last visit several years ago.

This thing is floorless - 10 seats across - 3 rows deep -- 205 foot 90*/straight drop -- 2 immelman looops -- 4 G's. Looks cool.

It won't have been open for long when I go, which my wife isn't going to lilke, but I am looking forward to checking this out.

I may have to go visit that this summer... not too far a drive from where I'm at. I've been meaning to go to Williamsburg for a few years and just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe now's the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I LOVE rollercoasters!

My daughter and I spent a weekend at Worlds of Fun in KC, MO a few years back. She begged and begged me to take her on the rollercoaster. We waited in line a good 40-45 minutes. Right when they were ready to load us, she begged me to not 'make her get on that ride'.

That ride looks like it would be very exciting!

I would love to check out one of these Florida water parks where they have these massive water slides, about 1500-2000 feet or 80 feet up in the air! That would be lots of fun too!
      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Here is a press release:

Williamsburg, Va. (March 20, 2007) - The construction of Griffon, the world's tallest, floorless dive coaster, recently reached a major milestone at Busch Gardens Europe. Crews installed the first two of three trains onto the Griffon track.

Griffon's floorless trains distinguish the coaster from all others. Each train has 30 seats arranged into three rows of ten. The outmost six seats of each row hang away from Griffon's track. With no floor under them, Griffon's divers will experience a ride unlike anything else. Larry Giles, vice president of design and engineering at Busch Gardens Europe, says "it will be like sitting on the tip of an airplane's wing." The wide seating arrangement will exaggerate Griffon's twists and turns.

Park leaders also announced the date of Griffon's public debut – May 25. In addition, the European-themed park developed an interactive website dedicated to Griffon and its fans around the world. Griffoncoaster.com opened to the public packed with unique downloads and the latest dive coaster information.

Crews broke ground on Griffon in July 2006. The ride reached its peak of 205 feet in December, and construction workers installed the 90 degree drop and first Immelmann loop in early January. Track construction was completed in late February.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
        Since it is floorless and ten seats wide, the 3 seats to the far right and 3 to the far left of each row will have no track below them, they will be suspended over nothing.
        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I love roller coasters. AND THAT LOOKS AWESOME.

I like the Boomerang...and Flying Coaster!
          ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle
            AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I love roller coasters. AND THAT LOOKS AWESOME.

I like the Boomerang...and Flying Coaster!
            Where are they, I am not familiar wtih those. In recent history, I have been to both Bush Gardens (Tampa and Williamsburg), Universald Studios and Magic Kingdom, Six Flags and Sea World in San Antonio.

I haven't been to six flags Dallas or St. Louis in many, many years.

I want to go to Cedar Point either this year (unlikely to happen with German/NZ work trips and Williamsburg and Maui personal trips) or next.

sigpic

Comment

Where are they, I am not familiar wtih those. In recent history, I have been to both Bush Gardens (Tampa and Williamsburg), Universald Studios and Magic Kingdom, Six Flags and Sea World in San Antonio.

I haven't been to six flags Dallas or St. Louis in many, many years.

I want to go to Cedar Point either this year (unlikely to happen with German/NZ work trips and Williamsburg and Maui personal trips) or next.

They are here in CO at Six Flags Elitch Gardens.

The Fly coaster is insane!

Its kinda like the one you see in the video on this page:
              click here

Comment

They are here in CO at Six Flags Elitch Gardens.

The Fly coaster is insane!

Its kinda like the one you see in the video on this page:
                click here
                Yea, I have always wanted to do one of those.

sigpic

Comment

Yea, I have always wanted to do one of those.

Its way fun, but since you lay on your stomach, your girl parts get smashed a bit.

Not that you have to worry!

Comment

Its way fun, but since you lay on your stomach, your girl parts get smashed a bit.

Not that you have to worry!
                    As long as the boy parts don't get smashed. When they get smashed, life ceases being fun

sigpic

Comment

As long as the boy parts don't get smashed. When they get smashed, life ceases being fun

Well according to my dad and brothers it is quite comfortable compared to some other coasters.

Comment

Well according to my dad and brothers it is quite comfortable compared to some other coasters.
                        Well, good. Then I'll give it a try if I ever get the chance. lol

sigpic

Comment

Well, good. Then I'll give it a try if I ever get the chance. lol
                          Sweet!

Its really fun.

Comment

I saw a coaster very similiar to this at Busch Gardens in Tampa in 2005. It was a week from being open, and I was like, "That doesn't look scary, if it were ready I'd ride it." But the sad truth is, I probably would have faked an anurism rather than ride that scary looking thing. I like coasters, but I don't like 90 degree angles.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterShake
                              I saw a coaster very similiar to this at Busch Gardens in Tampa in 2005. It was a week from being open, and I was like, "That doesn't look scary, if it were ready I'd ride it." But the sad truth is, I probably would have faked an anurism rather than ride that scary looking thing. I like coasters, but I don't like 90 degree angles.
                              Griffon is the next generation of the SheiKra dive coaster that opened in Tampa a few years back.

The big differences as I understand it are that SheiKra sat 8 across vs. 10 for Griffen (resulting in two more seats on each row that have nothing below them. Also, Griffen is a little taller I think.

The big difference, though, is that the Griffen is floorless, where SheiKra had a floor.

But, the general style of the ride is the same.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X