0.9999... = 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
    Basically inverse infinity. Or in other words you keep approaching 0, but never quite get there.

--- If you put a frog on one end of a long table and the frog jumps half the distance to the end of the table the first jump, then jumps half of the remaining distance the second jump, then jumps half of the remaining distance the third jump, and so forth ---

--- Theoretically the frog will NEVER reach the end of the table !!!

---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by j3phr3y
      I don't follow. Can you clarify?
      It was said that .999 is not an integer, and from elementary school to this day I have been taught that an integer is ANY number that can be plotted on a number line. Since .999 can be plotted on a number line it is an intger, it is just not a whole integer. Whole integer being 1,2,3,4,etc.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
        It was said that .999 is not an integer, and from elementary school to this day I have been taught that an integer is ANY number that can be plotted on a number line. Since .999 can be plotted on a number line it is an intger, it is just not a whole integer. Whole integer being 1,2,3,4,etc.
        .999.. can only be ploted on a number line if you assume that .999...=1.

"Integers consist of the positive natural numbers (1, 2, 3, …), their negatives (−1, −2, −3, ...) and the number zero."

.999... is not a natural number, and not an integer.

the only reason one can claim equality is because of a flaw in our number system. the real argument is not mathematical, but philosophical in that one must decide if teh infinitley small difference between .999... and 1 is a difference at all. DOES SOMETHING THAT IS INFINITLEY SMALL STILL EXIST?

anyone who says anyone else is wrong is wrong because either side has a legit case, and it's a matter of viewpoint and personal belief.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
        We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
          .999.. can only be ploted on a number line if you assume that .999...=1.

"Integers consist of the positive natural numbers (1, 2, 3, …), their negatives (?1, ?2, ?3, ...) and the number zero."

.999... is not a natural number, and not an integer.

the only reason one can claim equality is because of a flaw in our number system. the real argument is not mathematical, but philosophical in that one must decide if teh infinitley small difference between .999... and 1 is a difference at all. DOES SOMETHING THAT IS INFINITLEY SMALL STILL EXIST?

anyone who says anyone else is wrong is wrong because either side has a legit case, and it's a matter of viewpoint and personal belief.
          I am just going by waht I have been taught my whole life, and my whole life I have been taught that .999 would be able to be plotted on a number line because it is a real number. Natural or not, it is a real number, and all real numbers are integers. But I agree with your last statement because we are all right in one way or another, and more than likely will not sway the other side to believe what we say.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
            --- If you put a frog on one end of a long table and the frog jumps half the distance to the end of the table the first jump, then jumps half of the remaining distance the second jump, then jumps half of the remaining distance the third jump, and so forth ---

--- Theoretically the frog will NEVER reach the end of the table !!!

---

Since you can't divide any number by 0. Zero is not in the domain of 1/x. So x can come as close to 0 as it wants, but it can never get there.
            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
              I only said that 0 was the only integer that couldn't be written with a .9r at the end, although I can see now that the way I phrased it was ambiguous.

Doggcow, if x = .9r, then subtracting x and subtracting .9r is definitionally the same thing. That's what equality means.
              Oh...

My bad.

What about .9r/infinity?

Thanks, Reid!
              sigpic
              Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
                  ...from elementary school to this day I have been taught that an integer is ANY number that can be plotted on a number line.
                  I think your teachers did you a disservice. This is not a definition of integer I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
                    DOES SOMETHING THAT IS INFINITLEY SMALL STILL EXIST?
                    Do you have much experience with limits or series?

I am not asking to insult you or suggest that you don't understand. But if you have not then I would strongly recommend taking a couple calculus courses at your local collage. I think it would be right up your alley. It would provide ample opportunity to work with the infinitesimal and the infinite. It is some of the most challenging (both technically and conceptually) yet rewarding mathematics available to the undergraduate.

Comment

Working...
                    X