Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapaibro
    replied
    Actually food prepared for photography is done by a food photographer/stylist.

Here's some stuff I found about the secrets they use

Instead of milk, use Elmer's glue or a similar brand (water it down if necessary). This creates a much thicker, richer look

Those sesame seed covered buns were baked especially for the photo shoot and the stylist added each seed by hand with a tweezers. In fact she probably created a half dozen "hero" buns. The grill marks on the meat were added with an electric iron. Glycerin is brushed onto the meat to make it look "juicy" and tiny droplets of glycerin are individually placed on the leaves to make them look fresh and crisp. Those crisp pieces of fresh lettuce have been individually selected from a table filled with pieces of perfect lettuce leaves. There are dozens of other tricks used in the photography of food and beverages.

* That luscious-looking roasted turkey has been washed in dish washing detergent, cooked briefly, painted with ten coats of food colouring, and blowtorched (to give it that lovely roasted look!)
    * Those natural-looking bunches of grapes are sprayed with baby powder deodorant.
    * The molded cream pudding is hard as a rock, because it contains ten times the amount of gelatin than a regular pudding would. (We don't want it to melt under those hot lights!)
    * The ice you see in that frosty beverage is most likely acrylic "ice," that refracts light better than real ice and doesn't melt.
    * The rich-looking syrup being poured over pancakes? Motor oil works well here.
    * Like that milkshake? It's a combination of food colouring, and whipped shortening! And don't go for the ice cream instead it's shortening too!
    * That great looking bowl of cereal on the cover of your cereal box is actually cereal and white glue, instead of milk, to prevent the cereal from getting soggy. (No one wants to buy a box of mush!)
    * Those veggies that look as if if they were just picked and dew-covered? Mix glycerine into a spray bottle with water and the drops will stay on for about 15 minutes. (Glycerin can be used to give any food a juicy, glistening appearance.)
    * Want your Barbecued ribs to look mouth-watering? Half-cook the ribs, paint with wood stain and BBQ sauce.
    * Those french fries in a carton? Each one has been individually selected, from hundreds of fries, and secured to a styrofoam base inside the package so that they stand up straight and fan out nicely.
    * Hamburger? Do the following...
    o Try frying the hamburger for 20 seconds on each side using red-hot skewers pressed against the meat to give it that "grilled" look
    o Painting the hamburger with food colouring to give it that plump, brown, juicy appearance.
    o Picking the best out of hundreds of hamburger buns (strategically gluing on extra sesame seeds if necessary)
    o Lining the buns with cardboard so that they don't get soggy
    o Snipping and spreading the burger from behind so that it looks bigger in the bun
    o Selecting only the most perfect condiments and securing them in place with toothpicks
    o Securing the top of the bun to the hamburger with toothpicks

* The finishing touch to a hot food photo-shoot? Artificial 'steam' placed behind the food to give it that 'fresh from the oven' appearance.

Leave a comment:

• tpryce93
    replied
    Thanks for making me hungry

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
    Hmm... the fast food I eat (when I do eat fast food) looks like a real sandwich but not like the ads. Mines have never looked so mushy. Maybe its just the poor cooks/assemblers at that place.

Ice cream companies also used mashed potatoes when taking pictures for advertisement because under all the lights, it won't melt and it has similiar properties/characteristics.

I eat my burgers from restaurants. Preferably this place called Big City Diner (only in two locations - Kaimuki, and Kailua - both on Oahu).

The Big Burger. It higher than your index finger and absolutely delicious. GIANT patty, lettuce, two slices of cheese, bacon, tomato, and avocado. Comes with tons of fries too.

Carl's Jr. is also delicious.

Double sourdough bacon cheeseburger! Extra bacon.

Leave a comment:

• calibroncogrl47
    Guest replied
    Truth hurts..

Leave a comment:

• NickTranOwnz
    replied
    Hmm... the fast food I eat (when I do eat fast food) looks like a real sandwich but not like the ads. Mines have never looked so mushy. Maybe its just the poor cooks/assemblers at that place.

Ice cream companies also used mashed potatoes when taking pictures for advertisement because under all the lights, it won't melt and it has similiar properties/characteristics.

I eat my burgers from restaurants. Preferably this place called Big City Diner (only in two locations - Kaimuki, and Kailua - both on Oahu).

The Big Burger. It higher than your index finger and absolutely delicious. GIANT patty, lettuce, two slices of cheese, bacon, tomato, and avocado. Comes with tons of fries too.

Carl's Jr. is also delicious.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Ya gotta consider who's making the food.........

In one case it's an actual chef, in the other it's a minimum wage tweaker who hates life.

Have you had a Taco Bell burrito supreme lately? There is no sour cream at all until you get to the end. The rest is all lettuce! (Taco Bell should just change their name to Lettuce Bell!) This is because the people making it throw it together without regard for quality.

That's why 7-11 'chos are the best fast food there is...Because your the one making it!

"Deme un burrito suprema, no lechuga!"

Leave a comment:

• LoyalSoldier
    replied
    The difference?

The one on the left was made by professionals in advertisement and some of them may be fake.

The one on the right was made by a college student who can't wait to get off work.

Leave a comment:

• Snapping Turtle
    replied
    Thats not just fast food.

All food ads do it. Lots of times when they a photographing ICE CREAM they use crisco instead so it doesnt melt.

But still yuck.

Leave a comment:

• Schroedog
    started a topic Fast Food Ads Vs. Reality

Fast Food Ads Vs. Reality

Can you guess which one is the ad and which one is the reality? Take your time, I know it is tough

"Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality
    Each item was purchased, taken home, and photographed immediately. Nothing
    was tampered with, run over by a car, or anything of the sort. It is an accurate
    representation in every case. Shiny, neon-orange, liquefied pump-cheese, and all."

http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm

I thought that this was an interesting little project, kind of depressing.
Working...
X