Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Russell Terrier saves children from pit-bulls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Russell Terrier saves children from pit-bulls!

A plucky Jack Russell terrier named George saved five children from two marauding pit bulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight that it had to be put down, its owner said Wednesday.

George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pit bulls appeared and lunged toward them, Allan Gay said.

"George was brave -- he took them on and he's not even a foot high," Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it."

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pit bulls to keep them off his 4-year-old brother, Darryl.

"George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him -- one on the head and the other on the back," Rosewarne said. "We ran off crying and some people saw what was happening and rescued George."

But George was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two pit bulls had been impounded, and likely would be put down because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

Link
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

George the Jack Russell honoured for protecting children.

A Jack Russell terrier who died from injuries sustained when he saved a group of children from being mauled by two pit bulls in New Zealand is being given two posthumous medals.

New Zealand's main animal welfare agency, the Society for the Protection of Animals, awarded the Jack Russell, George, a bravery medal Tuesday, while a U.S. Vietnam War veteran who read news articles about the attack said he will send a Purple Heart to the dog's owner.

Feisty, 30-centimetre-high George fought with the pit bulls to keep them from attacking the youngest of five children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighbourhood shop in the small North Island town Manaia on April 29.

George, aged nine, was so badly mauled in the melee that owner Alan Gay instructed a veterinarian to put him down.

"It was an extraordinary act of heroism," said the animal protection society's chief executive, Robyn Kippenberger.

"It says a huge amount for the animal-human bond that he actually went in to save them."

Authorities have euthanized the two pit bulls and their owner faces prosecution for owning dangerous and uncontrolled dogs.

Kippenberger said her group's award, normally given to humans for bravery in aiding animals, "has not been awarded to a dog since 1990." The two previous canine recipients were trained police dogs.

"That he weighed into a couple of dogs considerably larger than himself, clearly to protect a child, is just a most amazing act and needs to be recognized," she said.

The bravery medal will be presented to George's owner at the children's school.

Meanwhile, former U.S. marine Jerrell Hudman told the Taranaki Herald newspaper he will honour the terrier's bravery by mailing to New Zealand one of the three Purple Heart medals he was awarded for service in Vietnam in 1967.

Purple Hearts are given to U.S. troops wounded in combat

Hudman, 58, of Austin, Texas, described George as a "little warrior" who deserved the honour.

Link

It's great to hear that the bravery of this dog is being recognised, and that the pit-bulls owners asked for the dogs to be destroyed.

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

I love Pit Bulls. They are great dogs, but they are like children; they're a product of their environment. If you raise them to be a big ****** dog, they will be. If you raise them to be a mean ass, they will be. One of my best friends breeds Pits here in Abilene. His male, Blitz, is a pure Blue, as well as the female. I know for a fact that neither one of those dogs would hurt a fly.
      Originally posted by Soldier96B
      i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

What a good story... Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
          I love Pit Bulls. They are great dogs, but they are like children; they're a product of their environment. If you raise them to be a big ****** dog, they will be. If you raise them to be a mean ass, they will be. One of my best friends breeds Pits here in Abilene. His male, Blitz, is a pure Blue, as well as the female. I know for a fact that neither one of those dogs would hurt a fly.
          That's how it works for all dogs.

More people are bitten each year by corgi's and chihuahua's than pitbulls. Unfortunately the handbag dogs don't do as much damage.

I love the bit about the US Marine giving George one of his Purple Hearts. Brings a tear to my eyes!

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
            More people are bitten each year by corgi's and chihuahua's than pitbulls. Unfortunately the handbag dogs don't do as much damage.
            I definitley would agree. My corgi is a loving dog, but, when he gets too amped up, he likes to nip and bark. Luckily, hes still a puppy, and hes much better about it now than he was even three weeks ago. I would although not agree hes a handbag dog (13 in tall, 16 in long, and at 17 lbs)

Its really sad that these breeds of dogs dont get a fair shake. Its all about training. A friend of mine had a Chow and an Akita, and they were the sweetest dogs ever. Just loved to be loved on by people. And yet, the community where they moved to told them the dogs might need to be put down, just to prevent any sort of problems. Its all about how you train the dog.

for George, definitley a little hero.
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Hand bag dog = less than 15 inches tall (it's just my personal definition)

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Yeah, this story made me think of my little Jack Russell Terrier..

Shows a lot of guts from that little guy George. I'd be sad, but proud if that dog had belonged to me.
                sigpic

Comment

I like pitbulls,but i hate when people treat them and raise em wrong. Thats how they become mean and dangerous.All dogs are like this..

Comment

He is truly a hero dog. How sad. How horrifying for the children to watch that and lose the dog. It breaks my heart, Kap. These pitts are so risky to have around human beings. One bit can cause irreversible damage.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                      He is truly a hero dog. How sad. How horrifying for the children to watch that and lose the dog. It breaks my heart, Kap. These pitts are so risky to have around human beings. One bit can cause irreversible damage.
                      Yeah, they're alot more prone to being aggressive than your average Beagle or Lab.

Some people might jump all over me and claim it's the way they're raised, cared for, etc etc... but dogs are unlike humans, they were originally bred for different purposes.

Pitts were bred to fight, obviously making them more dangerous to have around than some other dog breeds.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X