• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omg vegan couple sentenced to life over baby's death

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/?GT1=9951

Vegan couple sentenced to life over baby's death
    Malnourished baby was fed soy milk and apple juice, weighed 3 1/2 pound
    Updated: 2:55 p.m. ET May 9, 2007
    ATLANTA - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby’s body wasted away.

“No matter how many times they want to say, ‘We’re vegans, we’re vegetarians,’ that’s not the issue in this case,” said prosecutor Chuck Boring. “The child died because he was not fed. Period.”

Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his “perception” of the couple.

“I loved my son — and I did not starve him,” she said.

When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.

“I’m dying every day in there,” he said, “and that could take three years.”

click here for vote on if you think the parents deserve life in prison
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18576697/

imo absolutely throw the book at em and toss the key away
    coming from someone who has a newborn born 3.1 pounds
    dying of malnourishment is total blame for these people.
    the doc and nurses definately gave these parents instructions and formula that helps the baby gain weight and grow.
    this is just sad
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Since when is mother's breast milk an animal product/byproduct?

Freaks. Kids should be fed everything under the sun until they're old enough to make informed choices regarding food.

My cousin is vegetarian but she doesn't make her kids be vegetarian. She knows that as they grow they need the kind of nutrients that only a balanced diet can give.

These people are idiots and murderers.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
      Since when is mother's breast milk an animal product/byproduct?

Freaks. Kids should be fed everything under the sun until they're old enough to make informed choices regarding food.

My cousin is vegetarian but she doesn't make her kids be vegetarian. She knows that as they grow they need the kind of nutrients that only a balanced diet can give.

These people are idiots and murderers.

come on kap soy milk and apple juice give all the nutrients a baby needs.
      just plain ol dumb people

they watched the child wither away and did nothing. nothing. poor child.

our baby is gaining weight like crazy from the formula she needs.

i wonder if the baby ever stayed at a hospital. they said she gave birth at home but they never said anything about the child being in the hospital.
      at 3 1/2 pounds one would think the baby would be.
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

the baby was 3.5 lbs at death

they're just fools.
        President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
        I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
          come on kap soy milk and apple juice give all the nutrients a baby needs.
          just plain ol dumb people

they watched the child wither away and did nothing. nothing. poor child.

our baby is gaining weight like crazy from the formula she needs.

i wonder if the baby ever stayed at a hospital. they said she gave birth at home but they never said anything about the child being in the hospital.
          at 3 1/2 pounds one would think the baby would be.
          Gonna take a shot in the dark and say that the baby was a healthy birth weight, and while most babies gain...he lost!!! I would also guess that if they gave birth at home that they didn't have the baby to the doctor or hospital at all and used a mid-wife!!!

I just don't understand how people can become parents without a licence and passing a test...

Comment

Imposing political/moral beliefs on infants is just wrong. Humans are omnivorous, not Soymilkivorous. You can't raise a child like that. It's just wrong.

Being a vegan is dangerous enough when you're an adult.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
              Imposing political/moral beliefs on infants is just wrong. Humans are omnivorous, not Soymilkivorous. You can't raise a child like that. It's just wrong.

Being a vegan is dangerous enough when you're an adult.
              You are totally right, but life in prision???? It isn't like they drowned the child in a bath tub.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
                You are totally right, but life in prision???? It isn't like they drowned the child in a bath tub.

No you're right -- they starved it.

This is a prime example of why parents should keep their beliefs to themselves until their children are mature enough to make their own decisions - imo. Of course I know this isn't going to happen as every parents wants their kid to be politically, religiously, and any other ideology in line with theirs.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
                  It shouldn't be life, since it seems like they're more stupid than anything, but a few years in jail might help them to get their heads out of the clouds.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

I think it's some form of this but it went to far..

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic322.htm

Incidence of Munchausen syndrome peaks in young–to–middle-aged adults, but it has been reported in patients of all ages (ie, childhood through advanced age).
                    Pediatric Munchausen syndrome is a different disease from Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP). MSBP is a syndrome in which an adult simulates or creates symptoms in a child to receive an ill-defined secondary gain from the child's hospitalization.
                    MSBP is child abuse and must be dealt with when it is suspected. Because of the dangerous nature of the varied means used to create factitious symptoms, the mortality rate is significant; estimates range from 5-50%. MBSP is currently a topic of intense interest and research, given its potentially dire prognosis for the children who are victims.

:2cents:

Comment

Lemme at 'em!
                      sigpic

Comment

These people are terrible vegans and stupid ones at that.

All humans need amino acids that are all in animal products, but can also be obtained by eating a HUGE variety of plant foods. That's one mistake.

Another mistake is having the baby born at home.

And the last mistake (until I think of another) is that feeding a baby soy milk and apple juice doesn't cut it. Haven't they heard of baby food?!?!?!

Comment

There's so much information 'left out' of that story. For example....

How old was the baby?

Was it premature?

Were the parents aware he was under nourished?

Lots of parents use soy formulas for their babies, as many
                          babies have lactose intolerance.

The story indicated the judge was prejudicial to vegetarians.

I feel really sorry for the baby, but on the surface from what this news article states, I think it was a bit of a witch hunt. To me, the parents sounded ignorant.

There are certain religions that do not believe in going to see doctors. Is this simply malice, or is it one of those gray areas where it's just hard for mainstream culture to relate and understand?

It's a sad, sad situation. Plus....what was the background of those two parents? The article left out so much important details for me to really make a conclusion.
                          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

May Crown Shakur Rest in Peace.
                            [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                            Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro

I'm also a vegetarian. And I agree with your cousin. Growing children need a balanced diet (it wasn't until years later that I learned what a vitamin B12 deficiency could do).

It's sad that the baby had to pay for the stupidity of the parents.
                              Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Working...
                              X