Why do men die so young?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MN-Broncofreak
    The thing is, there should be men's groups out there to talk about not treating women as second class citizens. It would help me a lot.
    Again, you are amazingly smart to be so aware of this. Your wife is a lucky woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Chica_Ang
      Again, you are amazingly smart to be so aware of this. Your wife is a lucky woman.
      You know, it is a tough topic because all of the people in the world are affected by it. I recently read an article about this where it posited that men who open doors for women are doing so because they think that women are incapable and vulnerable. Now every time I open a door (for a man or woman) I think about it way too much- too much liberal thinking creates a really weird, PC and non-realistic society.

Feminist literature has a habit of leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, awareness of how women face more difficulties than men is an important thing, but I wonder how men can react to this. The first response is defensive, but the better and longer response is to think about it, talk about it, and try to make things different. Anyone who has thoughts on this, please chime in. I like feedback and ways to improve how I live.

Take care
      Last edited by MN-Broncofreak; 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM. Reason: Not half, but all people in the world are effected by it...
      Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

You know, it is a tough topic because all of the people in the world are affected by it. I recently read an article about this where it posited that men who open doors for women are doing so because they think that women are incapable and vulnerable. Now every time I open a door (for a man or woman) I think about it way too much- too much liberal thinking creates a really weird, PC and non-realistic society.
        Well, for what it's worth, when a man holds a door open for me, I graciously say 'thank you'. I take it as a polite gesture and nothing more. I think we need more polite behaviour with each other and I'm all for encouraging it. I even hold doors open for men...and women!

Comment

You know, it is a tough topic because half of the people in the world are affected by it. I recently read an article about this where it posited that men who open doors for women are doing so because they think that women are incapable and vulnerable. Now every time I open a door (for a man or woman) I think about it way too much- too much liberal thinking creates a really weird, PC and non-realistic society.

Feminist literature has a habit of leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, awareness of how women face more difficulties than men is an important thing, but I wonder how men can react to this. The first response is defensive, but the better and longer response is to think about it, talk about it, and try to make things different. Anyone who has thoughts on this, please chime in. I like feedback and ways to improve how I live.

Take care
          I am (or at least try to be) a fairly self-confident, self-reliant, independent woman... But I think a lot of feminists take it too far... I don't want any special or different rights or privileges... I just want the same. I don't want special treatment, just the same. And if a guy opened the door for me, I'd hope it was out of common courtesy, and not out of thinking I'm some incapable frail being who couldn't do it on her own. And he'd better believe that if the opportunity presented itself in the other direction, I'd be the one opening the door for him...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redbirdy80
            I am (or at least try to be) a fairly self-confident, self-reliant, independent woman... But I think a lot of feminists take it too far... I don't want any special or different rights or privileges... I just want the same. I don't want special treatment, just the same. And if a guy opened the door for me, I'd hope it was out of common courtesy, and not out of thinking I'm some incapable frail being who couldn't do it on her own. And he'd better believe that if the opportunity presented itself in the other direction, I'd be the one opening the door for him...
            That's how I see things. But being surrounded by more extremist thinking in an academic environment, I have trouble sometimes. can't I open the door for a woman and not feel bad about it later?

Sometimes there is too much thinking about this stuff.

But, I do think that women need to have more rights and less stigma than they do. As men, we need to be more proactive about not being inequal rather than just having women talk about it. Let's do some consciousness raising and be better people, because that is the way progress is made.

Thanks for your input
            Last edited by MN-Broncofreak; 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM. Reason: mis-spelled stigma
            Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

I love feminist extremists.

They are the bestest.

Let me give you an example, my ex goes to work, has busted her ass everyday for 5 years and makes more than most of her managers.

Quit *****ing.......

Bust ass.

You will be rewarded.

(I say this because the press slams walmart as against women, the way I see it, if you work hard you are rewarded, it has nothing to do with sex)

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
                I love feminist extremists.

They are the bestest.

Let me give you an example, my ex goes to work, has busted her ass everyday for 5 years and makes more than most of her managers.

Quit *****ing.......

Bust ass.

You will be rewarded.
                (I say this because the press slams walmart as against women, the way I see it, if you work hard you are rewarded, it has nothing to do with sex)
                this is not always true...
                Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

I don't die so young cuz I don't hold the door for women. My wife (Priscilla) would kill me!

However, it is ok to hold the door open for men. My wife approves of that.

The downside is that gay men think I'm "coming on" to them.

You just can't win.
                  Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Men can die young if they DON'T open doors for women. j/k

Wasn't that cute?
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
                      Men can die young if they DON'T open doors for women. j/k

Wasn't that cute?
                      Ok, I will always hold the door for YOU, HW... but just *you* (but only when my wife ain't lookin')

Do I get to live to cash in my first SS check?? <insert "worried" icon here>

Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by buckland
                        Ok, I will always hold the door for YOU, HW... but just *you* (but only when my wife ain't lookin')

Do I get to live to cash in my first SS check?? <insert "worried" icon here>

Well, don't do that if it makes Priscilla unhappy....makes for a long life.

Yeah----I encourage my husband to open doors for women. The timing has to be right though....you don't want to see them run 100 yards to catch up with them to open the door!

I've always appreciated a gentleman. They are getting a little sparse out there!
                        Sometimes I have to giggle to myself when a man opens the door for me, and then he stands there for a whole chain of people to follow. Older men are usually very thoughtful about that. The young ones are 'awful'.

It's one way I know my own husband wants to play around. All of a sudden he's opening everything for me. He does this funny little jog around the car to get to my door before me. I try not to let on that I know what he's doing, but it's so funny, sometimes hard not to giggle a bit.

What's the worst thing a man can do (in my company anyhow)....spit (hack).

I'm not a big on feminism. I have a little in me, just enough to be self-reliant (fixing a few things, painting, yard work, money, etc), but those old fashioned type of mannerisms will always be appreciated by me that men do.
                        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Girls like Dessa darling hold your hands after a concert and you melt down because she's so precious. DESSA BABY AVATAR GIRL.

Comment

Yeah----I encourage my husband to open doors for women. The timing has to be right though....you don't want to see them run 100 yards to catch up with them to open the door!

I've always appreciated a gentleman. They are getting a little sparse out there!
                            Sometimes I have to giggle to myself when a man opens the door for me, and then he stands there for a whole chain of people to follow. Older men are usually very thoughtful about that. The young ones are 'awful'.

It's one way I know my own husband wants to play around. All of a sudden he's opening everything for me. He does this funny little jog around the car to get to my door before me. I try not to let on that I know what he's doing, but it's so funny, sometimes hard not to giggle a bit.

I'm not a big on feminism. I have a little in me, just enough to be self-reliant (fixing a few things, painting, yard work, money, etc), but those old fashioned type of mannerisms will always be appreciated by me that men do.
                            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

You sound like one wonderful wife, HW! Well balanced.

BTW, I'm the one who holds the door open for the entire chain of patrons to the restaurant. By the time I get to enter, myself, the meal is cold--but the tips are good! They must think I'm an employee? (I should add this to my resume' whenever applying for that Wal-Mart "Store Greeter" position?)

Bottom line here is this: *Nice* never goes out of style. And this crosses all party lines, religious affiliation lines, etc.

Even rabid Raiders fans respond to *nice*! (Just don't forget to carry a raw meat treat whenever you enter their stadium!)

At any rate, HW, you are a very *nice* person--and I will value you forever. I also agree that spitting in public is a definite no-no.

As well as blowing one's nose in public--or at the dinner table, especially! While these basal human functions are indigenous to all humans, I would like to think that there are SOME things that we hold in reserve to separate us from the lower animals. This is to include farting in public—or even uttering the gross term, “farting,” in public.

[Well, I just did that, and I am sorry]

Ok, I’m a prude, I guess. And, perhaps, a little naïve, at times. I strive to find-see-accentuate the beauty in life. And keep the more basal realities within the privacy of the toilet—where they belong.

This is not to imply that I am “perfect,” in any sense of the term. I’m guilty of indulging in “bathroom humor.” But only in the company of close friends, never in public.

I think that most decent peeps are like that, whether we admit to it or not. While we can be—as individuals—outrageous at times, we still recognize the sublime. And will, hopefully, always try to be better, as individuals.

uncle buck

Comment

man this thread went south quick.
                                [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                                X