Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Conversationalist

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Personally, I am nearly incapable of small talk. While this at times frustrates people, I think I appreciate "real" conversations a bit more than the average person. This is probably why I have nearly quit posting on this board altogether since it is has been homogenized by the removal of P&R.

    A real gold mine I have found for great conversation is colloquia held at near by universities. The material is in depth enough to be interesting yet still accessible for the lay person. Best of all is afterwards you may get to discuss the topic with experts from four or five different fields. It is interesting to see how the different field tie together. Mostly it's just a bunch of really smart people having a discussion just because they find it interesting.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by j3phr3y
      Personally, I am nearly incapable of small talk. While this at times frustrates people, I think I appreciate "real" conversations a bit more than the average person. This is probably why I have nearly quit posting on this board altogether since it is has been homogenized by the removal of P&R.

      A real gold mine I have found for great conversation is colloquia held at near by universities. The material is in depth enough to be interesting yet still accessible for the lay person. Best of all is afterwards you may get to discuss the topic with experts from four or five different fields. It is interesting to see how the different field tie together. Mostly it's just a bunch of really smart people having a discussion just because they find it interesting.
      Well, if you can get into the locker room, you will be able to debate politically there.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

      . . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
        Well, if you can get into the locker room, you will be able to debate politically there.
        You know Owl I asked you an very sincere question in this thread and you have ignored it. Gee do you really wonder why you cant find a good conversation in a bar with a bunch of drunks.
        Last edited by Saddletramp; 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM.
        [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
        Adopted player Lindsey

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
          Well, if you can get into the locker room, you will be able to debate politically there.
          Really? Hmmm...wonder how that decision was made. Is saying "oligarchy" going to get me in trouble (hypothetically)? But- I would be allowed to say it in the Locker Room? Hmm... sort of seems like the definition of it (hypothetically of course)...

          Edit: But seriously, shouldn't that type of issue just be a board-wide thing? I assume lots of people getting a lot of CP's get them for things like implicit political dialogue and politically-charged sigs...then they can voice it more openly when others cannot? I am not against rites of passage, but this seems odd to me...
          Last edited by Chicago-Broncofreak; 05-15-2007, 05:23 AM. Reason: adding point of clarification
          Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

          Comment


          • #20
            I rate this post..........

            Originally posted by Chicago-Broncofreak
            Really? Hmmm...wonder how that decision was made. Is saying "oligarchy" going to get me in trouble (hypothetically)? But- I would be allowed to say it in the Locker Room? Hmm... sort of seems like the definition of it (hypothetically of course)...

            Edit: But seriously, shouldn't that type of issue just be a board-wide thing? I assume lots of people getting a lot of CP's get them for things like implicit political dialogue and politically-charged sigs...then they can voice it more openly when others cannot? I am not against rites of passage, but this seems odd to me...














































            http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85603
            Last edited by Saddletramp; 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM.
            [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
            Adopted player Lindsey

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Chicago-Broncofreak
              Really? Hmmm...wonder how that decision was made. Is saying "oligarchy" going to get me in trouble (hypothetically)? But- I would be allowed to say it in the Locker Room? Hmm... sort of seems like the definition of it (hypothetically of course)...

              Edit: But seriously, shouldn't that type of issue just be a board-wide thing? I assume lots of people getting a lot of CP's get them for things like implicit political dialogue and politically-charged sigs...then they can voice it more openly when others cannot? I am not against rites of passage, but this seems odd to me...
              Well, we used to allow all members to participate in religious and political debate. Some members could handle it, but too many couldn't and it became disruptive, so we banned it completely. As mod staff, we didn't prefer for it to go, but we felt it necessary to preserve the boards. People's political quarrels were entering into other parts of the board.

              Finally, after a long cool off period, we decided that we'd like to bring back some of the political discussion if we could. So, we decided to do so, but we wanted to do it on a smaller scale. We decided to open it up just to members who had earned locker room status. Now, honestly, we understand that to gain locker room status means more that somebody has been here a long time more than it means that they are terrific posters, but it also allows us to manage a smaller populace.

              There might be some CP sharing in the locker room that doesn't happen in other forums. We haven't disabled CPs in the locker room.

              In some ways, I'd be happy to allow everyone into the political discussions, but I also realize that it would be a tougher job for us mods. And, in the end, our board is a football board and not a political board, so we've decided to preserve the quality of what's most important on our board.
              My adopted fan is dogfish

              . . . . . . . . . . .
              . Post Your Artwork .
              . . . . . . . . . . .

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
                Well, we used to allow all members to participate in religious and political debate. Some members could handle it, but too many couldn't and it became disruptive, so we banned it completely. As mod staff, we didn't prefer for it to go, but we felt it necessary to preserve the boards. People's political quarrels were entering into other parts of the board.

                Finally, after a long cool off period, we decided that we'd like to bring back some of the political discussion if we could. So, we decided to do so, but we wanted to do it on a smaller scale. We decided to open it up just to members who had earned locker room status. Now, honestly, we understand that to gain locker room status means more that somebody has been here a long time more than it means that they are terrific posters, but it also allows us to manage a smaller populace.

                There might be some CP sharing in the locker room that doesn't happen in other forums. We haven't disabled CPs in the locker room.

                In some ways, I'd be happy to allow everyone into the political discussions, but I also realize that it would be a tougher job for us mods. And, in the end, our board is a football board and not a political board, so we've decided to preserve the quality of what's most important on our board.
                then why ont make it strictly a football baord and save all the hassel???
                [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                Adopted player Lindsey

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Saddletramp
                  then why ont make it strictly a football baord and save all the hassel???
                  If you don't like the political discussion, you can always not participate. I think that a lot of our members appreciate that we brought it back even if it is on a limited scale. I participate sometimes and enjoy it.
                  My adopted fan is dogfish

                  . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . Post Your Artwork .
                  . . . . . . . . . . .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
                    If you don't like the political discussion, you can always not participate. I think that a lot of our members appreciate that we brought it back even if it is on a limited scale. I participate sometimes and enjoy it.
                    whether I like it or not isnt the point at all.
                    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                    Adopted player Lindsey

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X