• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow just wow.

These administrators should be fired!

Tennessee teachers stage fake gunman attack
    Staged assault on 6th-graders unfolds on school trip; parents not amused

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

“We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation,” he said.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

“The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them,” said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff’s poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

“I was like, ‘Oh My God,’ “ she said. “At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out.”

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation “involved poor judgment.”
    Thanks for the Sig "rjent"sigpic

This is a real threat facing schools these days. Sad but true.

I agree with the teachers ideas to try and educate kids on how to handle the situations. I disagree with how they went about it.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
      This is a real threat facing schools these days. Sad but true.

I agree with the teachers ideas to try and educate kids on how to handle the situations. I disagree with how they went about it.
      I feel the same way. The idea to try and educate the kids on the situation is fine...but what they did was wrong. I would be very upset if I were one of the parents.
      Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.

It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

Comment

why the hell would you do that to the poor kids?? im in sixth grade and i'd be pissed if someone did that.
        white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
        you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
        smart fans, eh?

Comment

It's one thing to teach and prepare children for a possible attack, but very poor judgment (IMO) to make the kids think it's real and that they could die. Can we say 'traumatized'?

Maybe the principal could tell the assistant principal and teachers that they're fired and will never teach again. Then after 5 minutes say, J/K!
          Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD
            It's one thing to teach and prepare children for a possible attack, but very poor judgment (IMO) to make the kids think it's real and that they could die. Can we say 'traumatized'?

Maybe the principal could tell the assistant principal and teachers that they're fired and will never teach again. Then after 5 minutes say, J/K!
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that made me lmao.

good post!!

cp to that one tomorrow, cause im out.

you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
            smart fans, eh?

Comment

I smell law suits.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
                I smell law suits.
                i smell bratwursts.

smart fans, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by darrent/hero
                  i smell bratwursts.
                  I smell pie.

Comment

I need pie. And I don't have any.

But, back to topic. I wouldn't blame the parents if they sued.
                    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I smell pie.
                      i smell lawsuits.

smart fans, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by darrent/hero
                        i smell lawsuits.
                        I already said that so I win.

Comment

I already said that so I win.
                          I already said that so i win.

smart fans, eh?

Comment

This was just on our local news. A student said that, at the end of the 'attack', the teachers came in laughing and said 'We got you. We got you good.'
                            She also said, after they do something like this, how can we trust them?
                            Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

Comment

I think that their hearts were in the right places...to bad their brains were up their arses

Comment

Working...
                              X