For all you science buffs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you science buffs....

June 2, 2004: Want to see the 2004 Transit of Venus? Be prepared to wake up early.

On Tuesday morning, June 8th, for the first time since 1882, Venus will pass directly between Earth and the Sun. For six hours the planet's black silhouette will crawl across the face of our star. It might be a pretty sight, or not. No one can say for sure because no one alive today has seen a transit of Venus.

If you live near the east coast of North America, you can see the crossing. The transit will be underway at dawn and visible for as much as two hours after sunrise.

Before you read the rest of this story, a reminder: Never look at the Sun without eye protection. The early morning Sun rising through the mist, reddened and dimmed by distant clouds, is so tempting; it seems safe to stare. Don't! Even a low-hanging Sun can cause eye damage. Proper transit-watching techniques are discussed below.

The transit begins at 1:13 a.m. EDT (in the middle of the night) and ends at 7:26 a.m. EDT. If you can see the Sun before 7:26 a.m. EDT, then you can see the transit. Sky watchers east of the Mississippi River are favored. The transit will not be visible at all from Mexico, British Columbia and the following US states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Montana, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

A transit of Venus isn't like a solar eclipse. The Sun won't be blotted out or even noticeably dimmed. Venus is too small; the disk of the planet covers only 0.1% of the Sun.

Although Venus is tiny, you can probably see it without magnification. Try looking through a safe solar filter, for example, #13 or #14 welder's glass or special "eclipse glasses" designed for solar viewing. (Do NOT use stacked sunglasses, metallized candy wrappers or compact disks; these are unsafe filters often recommended in error.) Seen through a good filter, the Sun looks like a glowing disk, about the size of the Moon, marked with a black speck--Venus.

I wonder if I'll be able to see it on from up here, the sun won't set until July. 01:13 thru 07:26 EDT June 8 is 21:13 June 7 thru 03:26 June 8 around these parts. As I said before, the sun will still be above the horizon up here.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
    Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
    Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

I wonder if at 4:23pm on June 16th if we'll be able to see Uranus!???

Just kidding, seriously, that was pretty cool information Broncs, do you have a link, I'd like to check that out, by the way, I just bought a new telescope!!!
      [QUOTE]
      If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Originally posted by THE SHIELD

Just kidding, seriously, that was pretty cool information Broncs, do you have a link, I'd like to check that out, by the way, I just bought a new telescope!!!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...htm?list131230

Comment

Originally posted by Uula Bear
          I wonder if I'll be able to see it on from up here, the sun won't set until July. 01:13 thru 07:26 EDT June 8 is 21:13 June 7 thru 03:26 June 8 around these parts. As I said before, the sun will still be above the horizon up here.
          That must be odd having no nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncs Bomber
            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...htm?list131230

Thanks Broncs!!
            [QUOTE]
            If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Thanks Broncs!!
              Anytime! That link will give you info on how to view it using a telescope. You may want to read that part so you don't blind yourself.

Comment

Hahaha...funny, but I think the only one see it will be you...hehehe j/k.

Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                Mike Caro

Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncs Bomber
                  That must be odd having no nights.
                  Growing up here, it's actually normal. Odd for me is when I go down south and the sun sets in the evening and it is still hot. When it gets dark around these parts it means fall is here, time to bust out the warm jackets.

Baha'u'llah

Mike Caro

Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Working...
                  X