Anabolic Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anabolic Steroids

Well I have a school project on it and I have quite some information (but not enough, even after using google) about it.

What do you guys think about it?

What are some body systems that it affects? I have a rough idea about it.

Can anyone find testing stats for the NFL? I found MLB stats.

What could be some treatment or solutions? Past treatments? This could be hard since steroids aren't addictive. So far I got more random drug tests...

What is the future for this?

What are some values/choices in this?

And add any more tidbits of info if you want.

CPs to great contributors!
    Last edited by NickTranOwnz; 05-16-2007, 11:50 PM.

Hey, sometimes google doesn't have all you need.

If you have time, go to your local University's Bio/Med library (if they have one).
    Ask the librarian for help, you'll find yourself at a nice wooden table w/ books stacked so high you can't see over it.

I built myself a book fort once. Threw paper balls at passerbys from behind it while humming the Mario theme.

But seriously, haul butt over to a Bio/Med Library if you have access to one. Not sure what UH offers.

Comment

From what I understand is that players have a lot of tendon problems at the tail end of their careers (Jose Canseco) because their muscles grow faster than the tendons that connect the muscles to the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
        Hey, sometimes google doesn't have all you need.

If you have time, go to your local University's Bio/Med library (if they have one).
        Ask the librarian for help, you'll find yourself at a nice wooden table w/ books stacked so high you can't see over it.

I built myself a book fort once. Threw paper balls at passerbys from behind it while humming the Mario theme.

But seriously, haul butt over to a Bio/Med Library if you have access to one. Not sure what UH offers.
        There's a medical library that I know of, it belongs to Queen's Hospital (largest one in Hawaii I believe). I don't think I would want to go in and read all of that stuff though. I get easily bored.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
          Well I have a school project on it and I have quite some information (but not enough, even after using google) about it.

What do you guys think about it?

What are some body systems that it affects? I have a rough idea about it.

Can anyone find testing stats for the NFL? I found MLB stats.

What could be some treatment or solutions? Past treatments? This could be hard since steroids aren't addictive. So far I got more random drug tests...

What is the future for this?

What are some values/choices in this?

And add any more tidbits of info if you want.

CPs to great contributors!
          Hey Nick, I don't know if you've ever heard of infotrac.

However, it's full of referreed sources... ( I don't knwo what grade you're in) but if it's highschool, I'm positive you'll impress your teacher.

What a referreed source is, it's the most reliable source, other than paper materials... also online, look for .edu's, .orgs ...

If you need on to infotrac... I think my account is still open there... PM me and ill give you teh name and password.

but it's

Info-trac
          sigpic

Comment

Definitely go beyond google. If you want some research studies, you could use Google Scholar (one of the sub-choices for google, which is a great resource: http://scholar.google.com/schhp?tab=ws&hl=en). But, as others, I recommend going to the library at your HS.

A lot of HS's let you gather information through the library online through sources already mentioned like Infotrack or Ovid databases.

I haven't seen NFL testing stats, but using the MLB ones would be a good way to discuss the topic.

Value-wise there is a lot of obvious sentiment against use. In team sports, it is pretty looked down upon. Even in body building or anywhere there is a competitive aspect to something, steroids add beyond what is natural human performance, changing the competition.

I haven't heard much about treatment for use. That would be good to know, though i would imagine stopping and some kind of physical regime.

Physical side effects are bad for both men and women. Women tend to take on more masculine characteristics (e.g. growing facial hair, deepening voice) since steroids are derived from testosterone.

You know, sometimes steroids are used for good things. For instance, they are sometimes using steroids now to help people who have AIDS to keep lean muscle on them. You could look into that as a side piece maybe.

Good luck, hope things go well. :thumb:
            Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
              From what I understand is that players have a lot of tendon problems at the tail end of their careers (Jose Canseco) because their muscles grow faster than the tendons that connect the muscles to the bone.

Tendons, and also joints because they are overworked. Steroids do nothing more than help the muscles recover faster, which in turn allows the athlete to work out more often. The muscles continue to repair themselves, while all the joints, tendons, ligaments and what not continue to become strained.

The use of steroids has an adverse reaction with building the body quicker now, while tearing it apart long term.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                Tendons, and also joints because they are overworked. Steroids do nothing more than help the muscles recover faster, which in turn allows the athlete to work out more often. The muscles continue to repair themselves, while all the joints, tendons, ligaments and what not continue to become strained.

The use of steroids has an adverse reaction with building the body quicker now, while tearing it apart long term.
                Actually anabolic steroids do promote an increase in muscle mass. Another adverse side effect is on the heart (since the heart is a muscle too!). These can lead to problems with blood pressure, heart attacks, and a whole bunch of bad cardiovascular problems.

I agree to try google scholar, but the primary literature can be SO confusing and tedious to look through. Good luck to you!
                "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans"

Comment

i did a project on it last year let me see what i can dig up

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

PHYSICAL SIDE EFFECTS:

• Severe Acne
                    • High Blood Pressure
                    • Liver Problems
                    • Heart Problems
                    • Increased cholesterol levels
                    • Hair loss/baldness
                    • Headaches, aching joints and muscle cramps
                    • Skin Rash
                    • Diarrhea
                    • Stroke and blood Clots
                    • Hypertension
                    • Sleeplessness
                    • Tendon and Ligament Damage
                    • Water Retention
                    • Nausea and Vomiting
                    • Permanent Short stature in adolescents
                    • Male body produces less of its own testosterone

PSYCHOLOGICAL SIDE EFFECTS:

• Increased aggression (“roid rage”)
                    • Increased irritability
                    • Mood swings
                    • Depression and thoughts of suicide
                    • Hallucinations
                    • Paranoia
                    • Anxiety and Panic Attacks

SIGNS OF DEPENDENCE:

• Continue to use despite health risks
                    • Take more of drug to get same effect
                    • Experience withdrawal symptoms

WARNING FOR ADOLESCENT USERS:

• particularly dangerous because bones are still developing
                    • may stop growth too soon
                    • more likely to use other addictive drugs and alcohol
                    • may become dependent

FACTS ABOUT ANABOLIC STEROIDS:

• Synthetic hormones derived from testosterone used to enhance athletic performance

• Build muscle tissue and increase body mass like the body’s natural male hormone, testosterone

• Legally available in the United States only by prescription

• Abusers obtain steroids made in secret laboratories, smuggled from other countries or diverted illegally from US pharmacies

• Taken by mouth (pills) or injected into muscles with a needle

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Some other side effects:

Shrinking of the testicles
                      Breasts in men
                      Manly voice in women
                      Reduced sexual function and possible temporary infertility
                      Birth defects if person is pregnant
                      increase in body hair.

Comment

I know many many people on the football/baseball/wrestling team that takes steroids.

It sort of saddens me really.

Comment

bump......

Comment

Working...
                          X