No announcement yet.

Talking to my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the input. We are very secure in our relationship, just getting the parental instincts. Al our family had kids by the time they were our age, and we see the utility in waiting.

Graduate school is the reason for not doing it for me. I mean, I am fortunate enough to get paid to go to school and don't have to pay tuition (though not much of a salary...). We could probably figure it out, but everyone is right, it would be too stressful.

I know some people in my situation that have kids and have been alright, and was trying to think out of the box about other ways we could do it. We want to be young parents who are able to be active (playing sports, etc) with our kids, and not wait until too long when we are even older by the time they start hitting adolescence...

Thanks again for the input...
    Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago-Broncofreak
      Thanks everyone for the input. We are very secure in our relationship, just getting the parental instincts. Al our family had kids by the time they were our age, and we see the utility in waiting.

Graduate school is the reason for not doing it for me. I mean, I am fortunate enough to get paid to go to school and don't have to pay tuition (though not much of a salary...). We could probably figure it out, but everyone is right, it would be too stressful.

I know some people in my situation that have kids and have been alright, and was trying to think out of the box about other ways we could do it. We want to be young parents who are able to be active (playing sports, etc) with our kids, and not wait until too long when we are even older by the time they start hitting adolescence...

That was your one thousandth post.
      [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
      Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

glad to hear that you are thinking it all thru
        whatever the both of you do will be for the best interest of your future children

if ya both decide to not have a baby at this time my advice is to get yourself a chia pet
        they are great to take all kinds of places and be a father and mother to it
        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by Saddletramp
          That was your one thousandth post.
          Thanks, this is 1,001

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
            glad to hear that you are thinking it all thru
            whatever the both of you do will be for the best interest of your future children

if ya both decide to not have a baby at this time my advice is to get yourself a chia pet
            they are great to take all kinds of places and be a father and mother to it
            Yeah, we do have a dog already. I have had the dog since early in college, and it is similar to having a kid IMO, at least time-management wise. I dunno, after being married for a couple of years, we like our freedom and ability to do things together. But we both really want to have kids ASAP. Part of that is because my parents and grandparents put a lot of pressure on us for it, and none of them are in good health these days (including the parents). They want grand/great-grand kids ASAP.

If we have kids after I get done with school, what do people think about having kids in an urban environment? Honestly, I won't raise my kids isolated away from diversity and culture, but there are a lot of problems associated with having kids in a city.

Thanks for peoples' input, I appreciate it

Comment

Yeah, we do have a dog already. I have had the dog since early in college, and it is similar to having a kid IMO, at least time-management wise. I dunno, after being married for a couple of years, we like our freedom and ability to do things together. But we both really want to have kids ASAP. Part of that is because my parents and grandparents put a lot of pressure on us for it, and none of them are in good health these days (including the parents). They want grand/great-grand kids ASAP.

If we have kids after I get done with school, what do people think about having kids in an urban environment? Honestly, I won't raise my kids isolated away from diversity and culture, but there are a lot of problems associated with having kids in a city.

don't have any myself, but i don't need to in order to answer this one. . . people have been raising children in urban environments for centuries now-- it's a basic fact of modern life. . . as long as they are raised with the proper love and guidance, they will be fine! remember, kids can encounter dangers and get into trouble in ANY environment, not just the city. . .

also. . . don't mean to sound harsh here, but do it for yourselves, and for your future children, NOT for your parents! mine are getting older, and have pressured me for years about getting married and having kids, but both they and i have just had to get used to the idea that i'm not bringing a child into the world, that I'LL have to raise and be responsible for, just to please them! do it when YOU think the time is right, and not a moment sooner-- it's probably the biggest decision you'll ever make, and i don't think you and your wife should let anyone else influence it. . . remember, once you have the child, your first responsibility is to that child-- so start by making the decision that's going to be best for the child in the long run, not what's best for your parents and in-laws. . . .

and in regards to thinking about how old you will be when the child or children have graduated/moved on, i'll share that my parents turned 36 and 34 respectively within months of my birth, so they were older than most. . . i am 32 now, and they are both still healthy and vital, and very much a part of my life! i often wish that they were younger, just because it makes me sad that they are getting older so soon in my life, but nothing is ever perfect. . .

they both agree that it was the right choice to wait. . . they fell that not only were they more financially stable, but that they were more emotionally mature as well. . . they both feel strongly that this ultimately made them better parents. . . also, because my dad was making better money at that point in his life, i was able to have a fulltime stay-home mom-- maybe not very practical for most in today's world, but i still think it's an ideal scenario for those who can make it work. . .

given the stress that i've seen some of my friends go through with grad school-- especially when it comes times for final papers, dissertations, licensure exams, etc-- my gut instinct would be that it's better to get that stuff out of the way before taking on another monster commitment. . . but really, only you and your wife can answer these questions-- you know the detials of your life far better than any of us do! whatever you decide, best of luck to you. . .
              Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

the number one reason NOT to have any.
                [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Duh.

But, we still want kids...how do you balance culture, religion, and work?

OR, how do you balance, conservatism, religion, and the Broncomainia messageboards?
                  Hello, fellow Illinoian. We moved to Danville (about 2 hours south of ya'll) about 6 months ago. Husband got a job here. He started running into problems with his previous job about the time we found out I was pregnant. He got the job here in August, and I stayed in Charlestown, IN. until November. We saved as much as we could, and savings only got us so far, but it was far enough.
                  I can give you a little bit of an idea about-realisiclly-having a baby will cost.
                  Daycare- $145 per WEEK. Babies can start daycare at 8 weeks old.
                  Formula- We use People Choice Formula, which costs 11.88 per can. We go through a can of formula a week.
                  Bottles-depending on what you use-we use Playtex with the liners. Peoples Choice generic costs about 6 dollars per box of 100. We buy a box every two weeks.
                  Diapers-Peoples Choice. size 1 diapers cost 5.74 per 54. You have to supply your own diapers to daycare. Newborns will go through about 10 diapers a day. We are now in size two diapers, and spend 6.70 on 42 diapers. Go through about 1 pack a week.
                  Wipes- Peoples Choice-about 10 bucks for a box. Lasts about a month.
                  Clothes- BIG expense. Babies grow fast. The only thing I would get are packs of onsies (t-shirts) and a bag sleeper. Oh! And a couple packs of sleep and plays, with feet. Babies grow so fast, that buying a lot of clothes is a waste of money. We go to garage sales to get all our daughters clothes. She is 4 months old, and wears 6-9 month clothing.
                  Toys-wont need anything for first 6 weeks. Then they need something to keep them occupies. This could be another big expense.

Other things to consider- SLEEP, is a big thing. Babies are very demanding, and wake up every two hours for many many many moons.
                  There are also cribs, dressers, diaper changing stands, and room to consider. Babies take up lots of room.
                  The lack of freedom doesnt bother us much. We just take her along with whatever we are doing. And the infant car seats take up a lot of room in a backseat. We have a Grand Marques, and fitting us 3 and the dog (a lab) for a trip is a squeeze.

Our husband and I just turned 33. We also had pressure from the in-laws to have babies. But we did what we wanted, in our own time. If you want more info on what it costs to have a baby, and maintan one, go to the book store and look for a book called Baby Bargains. It will tell you all you need to know, and all the expenses associated with a baby.
                  We were not ready for our little one, either...but shes here and we've managed to get creative and make ends meet.
                  As for the conservatism thing...you may have to move to Indiana for that Though IL does have healthcare now for all kids whose parents make under 60K a year, which if you are a grad student would come in handy.
                  You also have to consider how good you and your wives health insurance is, and if you can afford the deductable and extra 500-1000 it will cost out of pocket that insurance will or may not pay...plus possible headaches in fighting them...
                  And waiting until 28 or 30 is not too old. We both like the fact we're in our 30's with our little one. We felt we were emotionally ready..
                  good luck to ya!
                  sigpic
                  Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                  -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
                    We go to garage sales to get all our daughters clothes. She is 4 months old, and wears 6-9 month clothing.

holy crap, baby bean is a beast!!

guess there's no question she's healthy, huh?? good to see ya, BFI. . . hey, are you gonna change the name to BroncFanILL now?

somehow, it just doesn't have quite the same ring to it. . . . .
                    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                      holy crap, baby bean is a beast!!

guess there's no question she's healthy, huh?? good to see ya, BFI. . . hey, are you gonna change the name to BroncFanILL now?

somehow, it just doesn't have quite the same ring to it. . . . .
                      hey dog! nice to see ya!
                      She went for her immunization shots last week, along with a check-up. She was 15lbs 8oz, and 25 1/4 inches long. 90th percentile for both!
                      All the doc kept saying..."you have a big baby. healthly and big. big baby!" cracked us up!
                      We still might move back to Indiana..its only 6 miles away!

I think my string bean just might make the Broncos a heck of kicker...in defference to her pre-birth name of Kristin Marie Elam Beans
                      sigpic
                      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                      -Sean Payton

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice!

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
                        Hello, fellow Illinoian. We moved to Danville (about 2 hours south of ya'll) about 6 months ago. Husband got a job here. He started running into problems with his previous job about the time we found out I was pregnant. He got the job here in August, and I stayed in Charlestown, IN. until November. We saved as much as we could, and savings only got us so far, but it was far enough.
                        I can give you a little bit of an idea about-realisiclly-having a baby will cost.
                        Daycare- $145 per WEEK. Babies can start daycare at 8 weeks old.
                        Formula- We use People Choice Formula, which costs 11.88 per can. We go through a can of formula a week.
                        Bottles-depending on what you use-we use Playtex with the liners. Peoples Choice generic costs about 6 dollars per box of 100. We buy a box every two weeks.
                        Diapers-Peoples Choice. size 1 diapers cost 5.74 per 54. You have to supply your own diapers to daycare. Newborns will go through about 10 diapers a day. We are now in size two diapers, and spend 6.70 on 42 diapers. Go through about 1 pack a week.
                        Wipes- Peoples Choice-about 10 bucks for a box. Lasts about a month.
                        Clothes- BIG expense. Babies grow fast. The only thing I would get are packs of onsies (t-shirts) and a bag sleeper. Oh! And a couple packs of sleep and plays, with feet. Babies grow so fast, that buying a lot of clothes is a waste of money. We go to garage sales to get all our daughters clothes. She is 4 months old, and wears 6-9 month clothing.
                        Toys-wont need anything for first 6 weeks. Then they need something to keep them occupies. This could be another big expense.

Other things to consider- SLEEP, is a big thing. Babies are very demanding, and wake up every two hours for many many many moons.
                        There are also cribs, dressers, diaper changing stands, and room to consider. Babies take up lots of room.
                        The lack of freedom doesnt bother us much. We just take her along with whatever we are doing. And the infant car seats take up a lot of room in a backseat. We have a Grand Marques, and fitting us 3 and the dog (a lab) for a trip is a squeeze.

Our husband and I just turned 33. We also had pressure from the in-laws to have babies. But we did what we wanted, in our own time. If you want more info on what it costs to have a baby, and maintan one, go to the book store and look for a book called Baby Bargains. It will tell you all you need to know, and all the expenses associated with a baby.
                        We were not ready for our little one, either...but shes here and we've managed to get creative and make ends meet.
                        As for the conservatism thing...you may have to move to Indiana for that Though IL does have healthcare now for all kids whose parents make under 60K a year, which if you are a grad student would come in handy.
                        You also have to consider how good you and your wives health insurance is, and if you can afford the deductable and extra 500-1000 it will cost out of pocket that insurance will or may not pay...plus possible headaches in fighting them...
                        And waiting until 28 or 30 is not too old. We both like the fact we're in our 30's with our little one. We felt we were emotionally ready..
                        good luck to ya!

Comment

Working...
                        X