• Show
Clear All

• man kills kid for walking on his lawn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18849855/?GT1=9951

Life term for killing teen who walked on lawn
    Ohio man said boy knew how he cared for his grass and provoked him
    Stand and be counted

Updated: 4:22 p.m. ET May 24, 2007
    BATAVIA, Ohio - A man who fatally shot a teenage neighbor because he walked on the man's carefully tended lawn was sentenced to life in prison.

Charles Martin, 67, must serve 18 years before he can be considered for parole, Clermont County Common Pleas Judge William Walker ordered Wednesday, adding that he would urge that Martin never be considered for parole.

The man was convicted last month of murder in the March 2006 shotgun killing of 15-year-old Larry Mugrage Jr., a high school student.

Martin told the court he was sorry the shooting occurred but said the teen knew how much Martin cared for his lawn and provoked him.

"He stepped on it and he walked 40 feet through it," Martin said. "I cared about it. I cut it every five days."

Prosecutors alleged Martin had confronted the teen earlier in the day when he walked into Martin's yard on his way to a friend's house, then loaded his .410-gauge shotgun and waited more than three hours for him to return.

When the boy stepped on the lawn again, Martin fired at him twice, according to testimony. He then called police, telling a dispatcher: "I just killed a kid."

Martin was tried on aggravated murder but convicted of murder, a lesser count, because jurors because could not agree the killing was planned.

thats how i would of handled this situation
    mah get me da shotgun
    im get get that pesky wrabbit this time

good for the judge stating "he would urge that Martin never be considered for parole"
    what the hell did this guy think he was going to get out of firing a shotgun, not once but twice at a 15 year old boy.

one stupid person behind bars and yet another tragic death
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Thats terrible!

Comment

All he had to do was post a sign saying "No trespassing". He then could have had the kid arrested for trespassing. Instead, he shot him with a 4-10!!!

Either way, it's just GRASS.
      Originally posted by Soldier96B
      i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Odd thing is, I have a neighbor just like him.

At first I thought the neighbor kids were joking when they said they were surprised I came back unharmed after getting a football from her lawn. Apparantly, she has held guns to the neighbors numerous times.

Crazy story though, the bastard sounds like he has no remorse.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun
          Odd thing is, I have a neighbor just like him.

At first I thought the neighbor kids were joking when they said they were surprised I came back unharmed after getting a football from her lawn. Apparantly, she has held guns to the neighbors numerous times.

Crazy story though, the bastard sounds like he has no remorse.

Cinny, please don't go on her lawn anymore. The football's not worth it. Just think of all the ladies that would miss you here (yeah, me, too).
          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD
            Cinny, please don't go on her lawn anymore. The football's not worth it. Just think of all the ladies that would miss you here (yeah, me, too).
            Well I heard rumors that she is a huge Broncos fan, so I'm still tempted!

Comment

I remember this story, and the article doesn't tell half of it. This guy was defended to a point on almost every major radio talk show about what happened, adn even the 911 call that he made were aired.

He was a vietnam vet, retired, and just wanted to be left alone. Apparently the neighborhood kids would provoke him all the time, throw garbage in his lawn, throw eggs at him when he was out in his yard doing work. Even the parents would joke around with actions like this. The cops were called in numerous of times and never did anything about it. It was described as the cops themselves would even laugh about the situation, and told the man that "kids will be kids".

The 911 call he made, he was sincerely apologetic, and was very "matter of fact" on what happened. He basically just said in a sullen voice, "I shot the neighbor kid, he's laying on my lawn, you need an ambulence here now. " When the 911 operator asked what happened, all he said was "the neighborhood kids have been provoking me for years, and today I just snapped and shot one of them." It was actually quite sad.

What he did was obviously wrong, way out of control, and he should be punished for his action, but good grief, our society now is completely messed up, and the lack of parenting that people do nowadays is going to completely mess up our future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                I remember this story, and the article doesn't tell half of it. This guy was defended to a point on almost every major radio talk show about what happened, adn even the 911 call that he made were aired.

He was a vietnam vet, retired, and just wanted to be left alone. Apparently the neighborhood kids would provoke him all the time, throw garbage in his lawn, throw eggs at him when he was out in his yard doing work. Even the parents would joke around with actions like this. The cops were called in numerous of times and never did anything about it. It was described as the cops themselves would even laugh about the situation, and told the man that "kids will be kids".

The 911 call he made, he was sincerely apologetic, and was very "matter of fact" on what happened. He basically just said in a sullen voice, "I shot the neighbor kid, he's laying on my lawn, you need an ambulence here now. " When the 911 operator asked what happened, all he said was "the neighborhood kids have been provoking me for years, and today I just snapped and shot one of them." It was actually quite sad.

What he did was obviously wrong, way out of control, and he should be punished for his action, but good grief, our society now is completely messed up, and the lack of parenting that people do nowadays is going to completely mess up our future generations.
                Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

id kill all of you if you stepped on my lawn...

oh wait...

i dont have a lawn...

or do i??

sigpic

Comment

damn guy is really anal

Comment

and this is crazy...

this is why i think americans need gun control laws...

things like this should not happen...

the kid was only 15...

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but it's a freaking LAWN! Kids are often *******s, that's life. If he's gonna shoot him, at least do it non fatally, with a paintball gun or something!

A kid lost his future because he pissed off some random old dude. It was a bad thing to do, but walking on someone's lawn does not merit the death sentence, which was imposed on him by a deranged man protecting some non sentient grass.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
                          Yeah, but it's a freaking LAWN! Kids are often *******s, that's life. If he's gonna shoot him, at least do it non fatally, with a paintball gun or something!

A kid lost his future because he pissed off some random old dude. It was a bad thing to do, but walking on someone's lawn does not merit the death sentence, which was imposed on him by a deranged man protecting some non sentient grass.

I completely disagree. When I was a kid, my mom would beat my a$$ if I threw eggs antsome neighbor doing yardwork, or throwing garbage in their lawn, not "join me" in polluting someone's yard.

I'm going to speculate, and say if this kids parents did their job on raising their kid to understand what's right from wrong, years of terrorizing the old man probably would not have provoked him.

It's unfortunate that kids are so ignornant to think they know everything, otherwise they would understand that it's not "meaningless yard" that covers the point, it's the concept of "respecting your neghbors property" that's the important issue. When his friends get out of their teenybopper years, they'll probably look back and realize that what they were doing was wrong in the first place, and their friends life could have been spared if they weren't so stupid.

Comment

That is sad. I wondered if there was more to it.

Who's going to parent the parent?
                            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

It's sad that the community did nothing to stop their children from provoking this man.

He did have the right to have a tidy lawn. I think he took it a bit far, but he was obviously provoked.
                              President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                              I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X