Clear All

• hancocks father sues over pitcher's death

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6846710

Hancock's father sues over pitcher's death
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 15 hours ago

ST. LOUIS (AP) - The father of Josh Hancock filed suit Thursday, claiming a restaurant provided drinks to the St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher even though he was intoxicated prior to the crash that killed him.

The suit, filed in St. Louis Circuit Court by Dean Hancock of Tupelo, Miss., does not specify damages. Mike Shannon's Restaurant, owned by the longtime Cardinals broadcaster who starred on three World Series teams in the 1960s, is a defendant in the case along with Shannon's daughter, Patricia Shannon Van Matre, the restaurant manager.
    Other defendants include Eddie's Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock's sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

The Cardinals and Major League Baseball were not listed as defendants. In a brief statement, the Cardinals said, "We hope this matter will come to a swift and fair resolution for all parties involved."

Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana also was found in the SUV.

Mokwa said Hancock went to Shannon's not long after the Cardinals played a day game against the Chicago Cubs on April 28. The lawsuit claimed that Hancock was a regular at the restaurant bar and was there for more than 3 1/2 hours.

"It's understood that for the entire 3 1/2 hours that Josh Hancock was there that he was handed drinks," Keith Kantack, a lawyer for Dean Hancock, said. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

A person answering phones at the restaurant declined comment. A message left with Van Matre was not returned.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing his vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic. A police report said the car became stalled when it spun out after being cut off by another vehicle.

Police said Hargrove noticed the stalled vehicle and stopped to help. The report said he told officers he was there five to seven minutes before his truck was hit by Hancock's SUV. But Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Tolar did not have a listed telephone number. Calls to the towing company were met with a busy signal.

Kantack said others could be added later as defendants in the suit. He declined to speculate on whether the Cardinals or Major League Baseball could be added to the suit, but said the Hancock family has been "overwhelmed by the support and respect the Cardinals have shown since Josh's passing."

Dean Hancock said in a statement that the "facts and circumstances" of Josh's death "have caused great pain to all of Josh's family." As administrator of his son's estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, "including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death."

this is too sad

i can see the point of the hancock's father being upset

when do people take responsibilities for themselves?
    these players that drink and drive are stupid
    and now the father is sueing
    i guess it is the bars fault for getting him intoxicated and letting him drive away to meet a friend at yet another bar and have a few more drinks
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

I think it's ridiculous. I mean I understand that he's upset about his son's death. But who's fault was it really?

Did the restaurant put him in the drivers seat?

Did the Tow Truck driver or the owner of the company put him in the driver's seat?

Did the owner of the stalled car put him in the driver's seat?

At some point, you have to realize that you, your loved ones can make fatal mistakes. He's also lucky that his son didn't kill anyone else with his drunken driving.

Who put the marijuana in his car?
    Last edited by Giveemlove; 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
      I think it's ridiculous. I mean I understand that he's upset about his son's death. But who's fault was it really?

Did the Tow Truck driver or the owner of the company put him in the driver's seat?

At some point, you have to realize that you, your loved ones can make fatal mistakes.
      exactly

i also think itscrazy to file a suit with his death not being that far away

but people deal with death in diff. situations i guess

cant wait for hancock's father to file a suit towards the cards organization for allowing alcohol in the clubhouse after the games
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove

At some point, you have to realize that you, your loved ones can make fatal mistakes. He's also lucky that his son didn't kill anyone else with his drunken driving.

Who put the marijuana in his car?
        This is what I was thinking when hearing about it on the radio. I live in Cardinal country, so there are some 'soft hearts' around and the local media guys are so wishy washy.

But the fact comes down to the father looking to BLAME someone for his son's death when the sole reason should be laid upon his son. He can't blame the restraunt owner/manager. They offered to call him a cab. Now he's going to try and ruin THEIR lives because their son refused to accept the free ride?

He's trying to blame the tow truck driver? Why not blame the car manufacture for not building the car more resiliant to head-on impact? How about suing the cell'phone company since his drunk son was talking on the cell phone? How about suing the seat belt manufacture for not making the seat belt automatically buckle him in? How about he sue the company that makes the alcohol he was drinking, for making it alcohol?? If he hit a tree, would he sue mother nature?

This is a major problem in our society now days. People want to sue for anything and everything. No one wants to take blame for their own stupidity. Its a tragedy, but his stupidity could have killed a family in another car. I have a hard time having sympathy for a guy that did everything he could to put himself in a dangrouse 3000lb weapon and go roaming the streets.

I find it EMBARRASSING for this father to actually be trying to sue when his son was found to be twice over the legal limit, was talking on the cell phone during the crash, wasn't wearing a seat belt... ran into the BACK of another vehicle, and was offered a free ride home. This just looks like a pathetic attempt to blame everyone else for the loss of his son.

Comment

It's crap like this that clogs and overflows our court system.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
            I find it EMBARRASSING for this father to actually be trying to sue when his son was found to be twice over the legal limit, was talking on the cell phone during the crash, wasn't wearing a seat belt... ran into the BACK of another vehicle, and was offered a free ride home. This just looks like a pathetic attempt to blame everyone else for the loss of his son.
            dont forget he was going to another bar to meet the girl he was talking on the cell phone with during the crash.
            sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Tha'ts ridiculous. There's really no way to tell how drunk a person is or not sometimes. Sometimes they cna hold it in real well. I mean obviously if they're stubmling and all. But they run a business, and they're going to sell if they can get money.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
              2. Taxes
              3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Working...
              X