Do you give to the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you give to the homeless?

So I was walking to lunch today, and as usual, I was stopped by some guy asking if I had a minute for the environment (greenpeace, or something similar)... Then, in addition, I had 2 people ask me if I could spare any change after that... (I work on Pearl Street in Boulder, and if you've ever been there you know it's street-performer/panhandler alley).

I usually politely indicate that I have no change and keep going... Especially in Boulder where you have the same cast of characters asking for money in the same place day after day, month after month. I'd have to give up about 1/4 of my salary if I were to donate every time I passed someone who asked...

So that leads me to my question-- Do you advocate giving money to homeless people?

Every so often I'll break down, feel guilty and give them my spare change because I feel sorry for them... That's usually when they come right out and ask me because I am a pushover and can't say no. But as a matter of principal, I'm against freeloaders. I think it's unjust for me to work a job that I'd rather not be at all day while they continue to not work, only to give my hard earned $$ away to them.

On the other hand, if I were down and out (god forbid I ever get that down, or out), I wouldn't mind my fellow citizens giving me a helping hand and just showing a bit of kindness.

What are your thoughts?
    Yes, if I have some spare change, they could use it more than me
    24.49%
    No, Why don't they get a job like everyone else
    42.86%
    Rarely, My empathy gets the better of me
    22.45%
    Absolutely, Positively Never will I shell out a dime to a bum
    10.20%

usually not
    but i have been known to spare a buck or two

where i live we have the same people with signs saying "will work for food"
    one of my buddies said listen if ya clean up my garage with me ill feed ya and give ya a couple bucks too. the guy asaid he was just looking for money adn didnt want to work. thats false advertising

we also went down to baltimore harbour a few years back and this kid, he couldnt of been more than 18 at teh time. was handing out these cards
    on one side they had a pic of a sign language symbol and under it the word of letter it represented. then on the back of the card it said "now that ive taught you some sign language please give me a buck in return" i th\ought that was a dirty trick but i still gave him a buck im a sucker i guess
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

No.

I have gave them food, drinks, and stuff like that.

A large percent of homeless people do not have the greatest money management skills do to alcholism. I have a brother who is a alcholic and can not keep a job and live day by day. It is a disease.

What I have always wanted to do is help homless and give them a oppurtunity to get cleaned up and get a job.

There is a lot of programs that a lot of them could be taking advantage of. They are not the greatest what so ever and could be enhanced.

My goal one day is to start a non-frofit thing just for this. You can not just give people your change day in day out.

it is better to teach somehow how to fish than to give him fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Budris
        No.

I have gave them food, drinks, and stuff like that.

A large percent of homeless people do not have the greatest money management skills do to alcholism. I have a brother who is a alcholic and can not keep a job and live day by day. It is a disease.

What I have always wanted to do is help homless and give them a oppurtunity to get cleaned up and get a job.

There is a lot of programs that a lot of them could be taking advantage of. They are not the greatest what so ever and could be enhanced.

My goal one day is to start a non-frofit thing just for this. You can not just give people your change day in day out.

it is better to teach somehow how to fish than to give him fish.
        I agree with this whole-heartedly... The only problem is there isn't much you can do for these guys in reality aside from giving them a couple bucks- which does nothing but repeat the cycle...

That's where my guilt comes in-- I don't want to give them money, but I also don't want to pass them by like they aren't even human. I can't imagine what it must be like for your self-esteem to be viewed as a bum all day. I almost want to befriend them more than anything-- but that's not usually a realistic option... Maybe one of these days I'll try it though- take my random act of kindness a step further.

Comment

Im a giver.

Comment

There aren't as many homeless people around Fargo, and I don't see many - so I can't say I do - but I always give money to charities and the Salvation Army if I can. This reminds me of the South Park the other day. . .

"If you give them change, they'll just want more change!"

Comment

yeah, i do.

same as you, Buff, i just feel so bad.

its hard not too.

like on Memorial day this guys like "im a homeless vet, could ya spare some money?" so we gave him a five and left.

ya feel terrible when you dont.
              white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
              you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
              smart fans, eh?

Comment

I donate clothes and food to shelters. that way, if they want them, they can go get them!

I prefer to give money and food to animal shelters. Animals are at the mercy of humans, and need our help.
                President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Absolutely Not.

I lived in Las Vegas for 11 years and put up with this scenario every single day on almost every street corner. All the begging gets old fast. Especially when they get rude about it if you say no.

They would stick their head in the car window and look around and stuff. I literally punched one guy that would not get his head out of my car window.

It's to the point now that they hang around the gas stations and approach you while you are pumping gas. They would even wait at the end of a fast food drive through.

I am sure there are legitimate homeless people out there that could use some help but most of the vagrants I ran into were not in that category. Alcohol and Gambling in Vegas sends many into the streets. It's pretty bad there.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Night of the Living Homeless, watch that from South Park and learn.

To be serious though I haven't really given anything out to a homeless person before unless you count giving some dude that was playing the sax in the streets of Washington DC.

During Christmas time though I put money into those red bowls where a person is there ringing a bell.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                      Absolutely Not.

I lived in Las Vegas for 11 years and put up with this scenario every single day on almost every street corner. All the begging gets old fast. Especially when they get rude about it if you say no.

They would stick their head in the car window and look around and stuff. I literally punched one guy that would not get his head out of my car window.

It's to the point now that they hang around the gas stations and approach you while you are pumping gas. They would even wait at the end of a fast food drive through.

I am sure there are legitimate homeless people out there that could use some help but most of the vagrants I ran into were not in that category. Alcohol and Gambling in Vegas sends many into the streets. It's pretty bad there.

they would stick their heads in your car? it wasnt while you were in it rihgt?

white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
                      you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
                      smart fans, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by darrent/hero

they would stick their heads in your car? it wasnt while you were in it rihgt?

Yes...while we would be sitting at a red light. Their favorite spot is the left turning lanes that have the green arrows. You can only go through the light on the green arrow and on some intersections, it can take several minutes before it's "your turn" to go.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                          I donate clothes and food to shelters. that way, if they want them, they can go get them!

I prefer to give money and food to animal shelters. Animals are at the mercy of humans, and need our help.
                          I give cloths to big brother foundations

Comment

Well I find that once you give them one, they go and waste it on beer and are very ungrateful, from my experience. I don't really give that much anymore.

Reminds me of that South Park Episode...

Chaaaaaannggggggeee....

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                            2. Taxes
                            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Not on the streets I don't, but I occasionally give money to a homeless shelter. I also provide other need support and indirect supportive services to the homeless and Homeless Coalition.

Also, I own my house..... my kids live in my house so I give to them daily.
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X