No announcement yet.

Do you give to the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

occasionally-- and quite frankly, i really don't care if they want to spend it on alcohol. . .

only 40 ounces to freedom so i taaaake that walk!

actually, i'm almost MORE likely to give some change to the guy who says "i'm not gonna lie to you, i need some money for a drink"-- at least he's being honest. . . i'm also much more likely to give to someone who truly seems down-and-out, rather than sorry-ass freeloaders-- 22 year olds begging for a handout because it's easier than looking for a job get NO sympathy from me whatsoever!

if i lived in boulder, i'd never give a nickel to the frickin' trustafarian pieces of crap. . . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Here in Madison there are so many programs, and shelter to help them out. They have no problem getting food or shelter.

Soooo...the guys who panhandle just want money for alcohol, generally.

Comment

Absolutely not. Panhandlers are out of control.

Comment

I usually ask some questions before I hand over some change. I know I'm probably just being an ass, but I usually tell 'em to go buy a slice of pizza or something and that society will always be waiting for their return whenever they want to come back.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
          - Carl Sagan

Comment

Absolutely, Positively Never will I shell out a dime to a bum

well maybe if i had money for myself..i might give them some

but most likely not..cause i am a ****

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by maruske845
              Absolutely, Positively Never will I shell out a dime to a bum

well maybe if i had money for myself..i might give them some

but most likely not..cause i am a ****
              Why are you a **** if you dont give to them? Its your money that you, most likely, worked for, no? Why is it your obligation to take care of them?...and if you dont youre a ****?

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                Why are you a **** if you dont give to them? Its your money that you, most likely, worked for, no? Why is it your obligation to take care of them?...and if you dont youre a ****?
                as blessed individuals. i think its our duty to help people who need it. wether it be money or food or whatever. we have jobs and a place to live. food to eat. the five bucks you give to a bum is really nothing if you look at it. and wether they piss it away on drugs or beer isn't my business. i did my part and in the end thats all that matters. i wouldn't call it taking care of them. but they are human beings and deserve the best life possible. and i can help them get that then i feel like i've done my job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman1987
                  as blessed individuals. i think its our duty to help people who need it. wether it be money or food or whatever. we have jobs and a place to live. food to eat. the five bucks you give to a bum is really nothing if you look at it. and wether they piss it away on drugs or beer isn't my business. i did my part and in the end thats all that matters. i wouldn't call it taking care of them. but they are human beings and deserve the best life possible. and i can help them get that then i feel like i've done my job.

that is fine if you feel that way

but just because somebody gives money to a bum doesnt mean the rest that sont are any less of a blessed individual. people help others out in their own ways and nobody here can tel anyone else who is wrong or who is right in the way they help others out

i have no problem if people dont give out any money b/c that is an individual right
                  sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

I've given clothes and food many times, but it never seems like enough. The ones I worry the most about are the children.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by lynchembaby
                      that is fine if you feel that way

but just because somebody gives money to a bum doesnt mean the rest that sont are any less of a blessed individual. people help others out in their own ways and nobody here can tel anyone else who is wrong or who is right in the way they help others out

i have no problem if people dont give out any money b/c that is an individual right
                      are knocking on me? cause i never said people are wrong to not give money or whatever. i was just stating my stance on the subject

Comment

Since we don't particularly have homeless people laying all over the 'streets' of SoDak It's kind of hard to give them change. Every once in awhile i'll see some living on the side of the roads though. The last time I spotted a homeless dude (which was less than a month ago) it was pouring rain and my family was just coming home from a church dinner where we had to cook the food and there was tons of left overs. So we stopped and gave the guy a bag full of fried chicken, a tub of beans, a big chunk of cake and some potato salad. It's not like we needed the food plus it made me feel good.

Edit: I think it's better to give them food rather than money, since most of them cannot use money wisely.
                        Last edited by denverbroncofrk; 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM.

Comment

No way in hell. Simple as that.

Why? because I have been homeless and I must say that for the most part homelessness is a state of mind.

I lived in my car, rarely worked for about 2 years. What was it that got me out of this situation? One day I got off my ass and got a real job. Then from there I rented an apertment weekly. As money from my job continued to come in I could move up to nicer monthly rentals.

It simply is as easy as that. Just get off the but and get a job.

Comment

Originally posted by NuggetFan
                            No way in hell. Simple as that.

Why? because I have been homeless and I must say that for the most part homelessness is a state of mind.

I lived in my car, rarely worked for about 2 years. What was it that got me out of this situation? One day I got off my ass and got a real job. Then from there I rented an apertment weekly. As money from my job continued to come in I could move up to nicer monthly rentals.

It simply is as easy as that. Just get off the but and get a job.
                            That is one way to look at it. Yet, what about mentally ill? Veterans who spent time in war and came back to nothing? What about the children who are tagging along with their homeless parents, or are themselves, without parents and homesless?

By giving hand outs to people, sometimes it's simply letting you know they are not forgotten and people do care, with the hopes of sparking new enthusiasm for their situation (HOPE).

However, giving to homeless would never take away from the amazing job you did of turning your situation around. To me, that is absolutely an amazing story you have of your own life, and it had to take a lot of courage and perseverance to make small accomplishments. I applaud you. There are all forms of heroism that makes a story, and yours is one of them.
                            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

well i work for my money

and why can't they get a job?

and also its hard to tell if they are turely homeless

then one guy said..on a sign.."we all need a little help sometimes"

and we passed him and went into the store

then a vew weeks later..we passed the same place..witht he same guy..and the same sign

with brand new boots on ..***

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman1987
                                OK, how is it "our duty"? If you want to give thats fine but youre in no position to say what others should do. Perhaps youre approaching the problem at the wrong end. Perhaps if you raise the quality of life for those working, you will have fewer who are panhandling.

BTW, I live in Chicago and I think it varies a lot based on where you live. Here in Chicago, there are professional panhandlers AND A LOT OF THEM. Im guessing its less that case in other cities/areas and that this might affect the point of view of some on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X