Do you give to the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lex
    Why are you a **** if you dont give to them? Its your money that you, most likely, worked for, no? Why is it your obligation to take care of them?...and if you dont youre a ****?
    thanks lex!

i was saying that because i feel that most people would be calling me an ****

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by denverbroncofrk
      Since we don't particularly have homeless people laying all over the 'streets' of SoDak It's kind of hard to give them change. Every once in awhile i'll see some living on the side of the roads though. The last time I spotted a homeless dude (which was less than a month ago) it was pouring rain and my family was just coming home from a church dinner where we had to cook the food and there was tons of left overs. So we stopped and gave the guy a bag full of fried chicken, a tub of beans, a big chunk of cake and some potato salad. It's not like we needed the food plus it made me feel good.

Edit: I think it's better to give them food rather than money, since most of them cannot use money wisely.
      Its better to give them the bottom of the muffin. I hear "they" like that.

Comment

Originally posted by maruske845
        thanks lex!

i was saying that because i feel that most people would be calling me an ****
        Yeah, there are too many people who like to tell others what they should or should not do. The guy who just wants to mind his own business always gets thrown under the bus. The sad thing is that most of the time, the guy who wants to mind his own business is probably more qualified to tell the other guy what to do.

Comment

No! I don't think I ever have. I've been hit up for money before, but have alway's said no.

I remember one time coming out of Burger King, a dude was laying on the side walk right underneath a "Help Wanted" sign, begging for change. I heard him refuse food from the person that exited before me. I don't know what you might think of that, but I thought is was BS.

It just put it into perspective for me. They don't want help or a hand up, advice or anything like that.....They just want money.

God forbid I'm ever in their shoes. But if I am, please don't hesitate to offer a Double Whopper with cheese and bacon, no lettuce. Onion rings (Not fries ). King-sized if you please.....

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
            Absolutely Not.

I lived in Las Vegas for 11 years and put up with this scenario every single day on almost every street corner. All the begging gets old fast. Especially when they get rude about it if you say no.

They would stick their head in the car window and look around and stuff. I literally punched one guy that would not get his head out of my car window.

It's to the point now that they hang around the gas stations and approach you while you are pumping gas. They would even wait at the end of a fast food drive through.

I am sure there are legitimate homeless people out there that could use some help but most of the vagrants I ran into were not in that category. Alcohol and Gambling in Vegas sends many into the streets. It's pretty bad there.
            I had some homeless guy in vegas try to scam me..i called him out..and he proceeded to say things i just can't repeat here.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Not anymore.

Since I've learned many of them are panhandling as a job, and arent really homeless at all.

I'll pay you for a service. Holding a sign on a street corner isnt it...........

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                Not anymore.

Since I've learned many of them are panhandling as a job, and arent really homeless at all.

I'll pay you for a service. Holding a sign on a street corner isnt it...........

I heard the same thing too. That they try to look as pathetic as possible...Get in their car, and drive down to beg on the street corner.

Comment

Everyone who pays taxes gives to the homeless. It's their decision to either accept or not from the shelters. What i don't get is why is it my responsibility to mandatory fund some stranger. I could care less if they eat. If it was someone in my family then i would feed and give them shelter IF they followed the rules and have respect. The way it is set up now is that they don't have to respect anyone but are still allowed to take my money for their own use.

I say quit taking my tax dollars and giving it away. In my opinion it will only help families stay together and start being productive again.

Comment

Had one guy one time after I had pulled myself off the streets approach my wife and I as we were pulling out of a parking lot.

After I turned down his begging for money by telling him I had no cash(which I actually didn't, wouldn't have given if I did but point was I actually didn't) and he has the audacity to tell me same to ya buddy what goes around comes around.

That just plain pisses me off as being one that WAS in that position, paying for my gas in the car as I was living it in it simply through hand outs and gas vouchers from local missions. You want to tell ME, someone that WAS in that position that it goes around comes around...

I pulled myself out...so can you...

Get a job.

I know there are a few cases out there where the people legitimately have no other hope, that is there life and there is nothing they can do about it.

But as being a former homeless I can tell you that MOST are not in that catagory and most that I see standing around streets with thier signs saying need money or food, can't work look quite fit to me and very workable.

They, JUST like ME in the past wanted to do nothing more then get their free handouts and go about thier lazy lives.

This is a little bit of a sore subject for me, and I appologize if I get a little carried away. It is just my first hand knowledge that getting back on your feet isn't remotely difficult to do, they just prefer the handouts.

Comment

I've always had problems with this. Should I give or not? When I don't, I feel guilty. Are they really homeless? So, I give to the shelters, SA, etc.

In Baltimore, they're trying to pass a law where a person would need a permit to be on a street corner. Also in Baltimore, they have these guys that wash your car windows (at a traffic light and they don't ask permission) and expect you to pay for it. This use to annoy my husband when he worked in the city.

Thanks, NuggetFan, for sharing. Gives a different perspective.
                      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Absolutely, Positively Never will I shell out a dime to a bum

I may buy a hamberger or grocery's. Drive them to the soup line or something like that, but I never give them money.

They can eat and have a place inside to sleep normally, if that's what they want. None of them look like they need to lose weight that I've seen recently.

They don't need a job, being a bum is their job.

Some of the above may not apply to all cases.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                        How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Over 50% of homeless folks have a PCSUD (psychiatric comorbid substance use disorder).

I deal with that difficult problem every day, either for money or for a cigarette. I have my own emotional reactions to it like "get a job" but I also have some empathy to the situations that are occurring.

In Chicago, there is a cool system called "Streetwise." Homeless folks can get a job there selling newspapers, written by homeless people, for a dollar a piece. They get an hourly wage for doing it, bring the money back in, and treat it as a job. I think it is a really good system for helping folks gain efficacy. They have badges to indicate who they are, and I always make sure to buy a paper from them as opposed to some folks who do (stereotype acknowledged) just go to the liquor store.

It is a big problem that everyone ignores. More needs to be done to adress it, but most people want to ignore it these days...
                          Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Originally posted by sharp_shepherd
                            Everyone who pays taxes gives to the homeless. It's their decision to either accept or not from the shelters. What i don't get is why is it my responsibility to mandatory fund some stranger. I could care less if they eat. If it was someone in my family then i would feed and give them shelter IF they followed the rules and have respect. The way it is set up now is that they don't have to respect anyone but are still allowed to take my money for their own use.

I say quit taking my tax dollars and giving it away. In my opinion it will only help families stay together and start being productive again.
                            taxes don't go to the homeless...maybe a very small percentage...

Comment

Originally posted by NuggetFan
                              Had one guy one time after I had pulled myself off the streets approach my wife and I as we were pulling out of a parking lot.

After I turned down his begging for money by telling him I had no cash(which I actually didn't, wouldn't have given if I did but point was I actually didn't) and he has the audacity to tell me same to ya buddy what goes around comes around.

That just plain pisses me off as being one that WAS in that position, paying for my gas in the car as I was living it in it simply through hand outs and gas vouchers from local missions. You want to tell ME, someone that WAS in that position that it goes around comes around...

I pulled myself out...so can you...

Get a job.

I know there are a few cases out there where the people legitimately have no other hope, that is there life and there is nothing they can do about it.

But as being a former homeless I can tell you that MOST are not in that catagory and most that I see standing around streets with thier signs saying need money or food, can't work look quite fit to me and very workable.

They, JUST like ME in the past wanted to do nothing more then get their free handouts and go about thier lazy lives.

This is a little bit of a sore subject for me, and I apologize if I get a little carried away. It is just my first hand knowledge that getting back on your feet isn't remotely difficult to do, they just prefer the handouts.
                              Your experience sounds tough, but I wouldn't generalize. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless just in CA. Millions in the whole US. Are they all lazy? To be honest, help getting folks jobs and livable conditions seems like a priority to me before excuses can be made...

Comment

I don't. So there.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Working...
                                X