No announcement yet.

Do you give to the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I don't give cash to homeless people.

Too many homeless people are homeless because they have alcoholism and too many will just spend the money on alcohol. If I felt that them having alcohol would somehow help them cope, I might be willing to give them money even if they were going to spend it on alcohol, but it will not help them feel better. It will only get them drunk and that isn't really worth that much.

But really, even if they were to spend it on food, it would be less efficiently spent to give it to them than to give it to charity. After all, they would most likely purchase food from a restaurant of some sort. If you give money to charities, they can buy food in bulk and can feed a lot more people for a lot less money, so giving to charities can actually make a much more significant difference.

To me, the solution has to be long term. Giving a homeless person a small amount of change for some meager purchases might help them a little, but they will really be much happier if they escape homelessness altogether. And I have limited resources, so I'd rather support a charity that helps facilitate that than to give them a couple of bucks.

I also think that to go out of our way more overall is a worthwhile endeavor, but I don't think that giving change to panhandlers helps at all, but I think that giving more to charities can help significantly and it's tax deductible.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

The number of people who panhandle in Europe, and then have the missus pick them up in a BMW is really high.

There was a group of women in Galway(Ireland) who would walk down the street pushing babies in prams, and they'd send their older kids into resteraunts, and up to outdoor diners for money! These women were pushing top of the line strollers! We're talking 500-600 euros!!!

The last thing they needed was my money! And sending kids to beg is just disgusting! Also over here you see a lot of people begging and they have dogs with them. I go buy a thing of dog food for them. In Sevilla I saw a woman begging at a pedestrian crossing. You couldn't get past her, she was taking up so much space. She had a really nice dog with her, and after she got some money, she bought a PIZZA, and didn't even give the dog ANY!!!!

My mum was so disgusted, she said "If we were at home, I'd drive past and take the bl***y dog, and give him a REAL home!"
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

I'll add to what I said previously by saying that I see a difference between "homeless" people and street beggars. Most of the people standing on the street begging do it for a living whether they own a BMW or not has little to do with it though I don't doubt some of them may. Homeless people that aren't standing on the street begging are usually trying to find a better way to do things for them selves.

There are many ways to get food and accomadations. One could go to a church or another organization to get fed or clothing. Collecting recyclable objects that can be sold is another way to get money.

I look at those standing around begging as the lazy ones. Yes that's right the lazy ones stand around and ask other people for their money. That might not hold true for every single case but for the most part it's true. I'm not giving them money. I'll offer them some food or something like that, most of the time they refuse it.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
        How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
          The number of people who panhandle in Europe, and then have the missus pick them up in a BMW is really high.

There was a group of women in Galway(Ireland) who would walk down the street pushing babies in prams, and they'd send their older kids into resteraunts, and up to outdoor diners for money! These women were pushing top of the line strollers! We're talking 500-600 euros!!!

The last thing they needed was my money! And sending kids to beg is just disgusting! Also over here you see a lot of people begging and they have dogs with them. I go buy a thing of dog food for them. In Sevilla I saw a woman begging at a pedestrian crossing. You couldn't get past her, she was taking up so much space. She had a really nice dog with her, and after she got some money, she bought a PIZZA, and didn't even give the dog ANY!!!!

My mum was so disgusted, she said "If we were at home, I'd drive past and take the bl***y dog, and give him a REAL home!"

how come the word bloody is being filtered?

but yea, i would hate to see that happen.

so many animals are treated so disgustingly.

it makes ya feel bad.
          white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
          you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
          smart fans, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by darrent/hero
            how come the word bloody is being filtered?

but yea, i would hate to see that happen.

so many animals are treated so disgustingly.

it makes ya feel bad.
            i did that myself.
            President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
            I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
              i did that myself.
              oh.

i guess i should have realized that after i posted that.

but thats terrible about the dog.
              white sox are done, broncos looking strong, lakers gonna win it all again.

Originally posted by raylewis52
              you guys are the saddest team in nfl right now! 8-8 will win the west,.thats just a joke. there will be 6-8 teams sitting home with better records,
              smart fans, eh?

Comment

I've been back in Denver for about two months. I was extremely displeased to see all the panhandling going on all over the city.

There's a labor ready agency on Colfax that provides a lunch, a ride to the job and a daily check at the end of the day.

As a homless person in Denver, you are guarenteed at least two meals a day, from many shelters, also if you're not out trying to get beer money, you can also have a place to stay. There is a limit, but if you get there early you can get a bed.

I gave money to a guy once when I lived in San Antonio. I went to a music store to pick up a CD. Then I stopped at a convenience store to get a drink and the same guy was in front of me in line with two quarts of beer. Never again.

I give to ARC and the Salvation Army. I also do volunteer work for diabetic kids in the summer. I consider myself big hearted, but handouts from your car window only perpetuate the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by slickdonkey7
                  I've been back in Denver for about two months. I was extremely displeased to see all the panhandling going on all over the city.

There's a labor ready agency on Colfax that provides a lunch, a ride to the job and a daily check at the end of the day.

As a homless person in Denver, you are guarenteed at least two meals a day, from many shelters, also if you're not out trying to get beer money, you can also have a place to stay. There is a limit, but if you get there early you can get a bed.

I gave money to a guy once when I lived in San Antonio. I went to a music store to pick up a CD. Then I stopped at a convenience store to get a drink and the same guy was in front of me in line with two quarts of beer. Never again.

I give to ARC and the Salvation Army. I also do volunteer work for diabetic kids in the summer. I consider myself big hearted, but handouts from your car window only perpetuate the problem.
                  This guy is a total thread killer.

Comment

About 2 years ago, I went to Oakland to visit my cousin. A homeless guy asked me for a few bucks to buy a burrito and a cup of coffee. It was Xmas time, and the guy looked really hungry, so I gave him 10 bucks, plus it would help my Karma, About 2 hours later after the movie I saw him on the side walk with a 6 pack of Chorona.

Oh well still good Karma for me, and double since it was the holiday season. Maybe if he bought Becks I would not have been as upset. Oh well that's Oakland for ya.

This was in no way, shape, or form to bash the Raider fans.

p.s. I still give to the poor. Just incase their is a god, I have a few reasons why god should let me in.
                    sigpic

Comment

I do not give my money to homeless people..If they really wanted money for anything other than alcohol or ciggarettes they would find a shelter to get cleaned up at, and there are places that help homeless people out..Its just so sad these days..People will do anything for alcohol..There was a guy that got arrested the other day at my work for stealing a bottle of Scope mouth wash and drinking it in the isle after he was already totally wasted, and he was homeless..I hate to make the stereotype that most homeless people are alcoholics, but from what I have seen atleast here in Anchorage most are..And I think if they really wanted to better themeselves they would find a way to do it..

Comment

they have no respect for them selves or there families so i dont respect them. except viet-nam vets who where ignored by americans for so long, those i will help.
                        GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by slickdonkey7

your right on!!!
                          GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

My Grandmother one time bought a man who was standing with a sign a sandwhich. That man threw the sandwich back at her as she walked away. I have given to a homeless man once since then. He had one of the funniest signs ever, and I thought he deserved it.

I give to charities, because they are better at picking out the people that need help than I am. Mostly because the people that go there truly want to improve themselves, and stop being homeless.
                            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Working...
                            X