Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This doesnt look too good for this school

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,280474,00.html

NORTH BEND, Ore. — Middle School student Kyleray Katherman had a hunch something was amiss with the school's drinking fountain water. And right he was.

For an English assignment, he tested the bacteria content at four water fountains and one toilet to challenge a ban on students from bringing bottled water to class. It seems some were using it to sneak in alcohol.

Guess which was cleaner? It wasn't the water fountains.

He then asked students where they would prefer to get their water. That wasn't the fountains, either.

Classmates, teachers, administrators and board members said they had no idea.

Katherman attends the Oregon Coast Technology School that operates at North Bend Middle School with a focus on infusing technology into all areas of study.

Katherman, 13, used Q-tips and petri dishes, swabbing the spigots of four fountains and sampling one toilet, dunking the cotton in the bowl's center and then dragging it around the rim for a complete sample.

He took the results to the school lab put them under a light to speed up the bacteria's growth.

The petri dishes with fountain water were swarming with bacteria. The sample from the toilet was clean, probably because the toilets are doused with cleansing chemicals daily.

"I wanted to see the looks on their faces," Katherman said.

Either allow water bottles back, Katherman urged, or install "down-pour" systems used in office water coolers.

He took his results to the North Bend School Board with an eye-opening PowerPoint presentation.

Administrators quickly replaced the spigots and casing at three of the water fountains and custodians gave them all a thorough cleaning.

More teachers are providing water in classrooms now, but the ban on water bottles remains.

"It was a great lesson. We don't always see things in and about the school that are in need of repair," said Scott Edmondson, the school's principal, adding, "You'd be surprised how clean the water is in a toilet."
    sigpic

Ok so the toilet water was clean but the water fountain water sucks?
    sigpic

Comment

Ewwwwwwwww!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Mmm yummy I can only wonder what's growing on our school water fountains, they are covered in green crap. Mmm makes me want to go get a big glass of water right now.

Comment

Originally posted by denverbroncofrk
          Mmm yummy I can only wonder what's growing on our school water fountains, they are covered in green crap. Mmm makes me want to go get a big glass of water right now.
          You serious???
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by denverbroncofrk

Those are calcium and lime deposits normally found in hard water.

Hard water affects about 85% of all populated areas in the U.S.

A little Lime-away will get rid of them.

Hard water is harmless, although not tasty. It's a higher mineral, not bacterial content.

A simple whole facility water treatment unit will prevent that from happening in the future. It will soften the water, which will mean less pipe leaks (hard water wears out pipes faster...imagine liquid ultra-fine sandpaper), make the water taste better, give your school better tasting cafeteria food, and make life easier for your custodial staff.

Of course, ythe initial cost is pretty pricey which is why most don't do it. But it saves you money in the long run.

Anyway, my point is that the 'green stuff' is harmless and not indicative of bacterial content in your school's water supply, only it's hardness.

It could still be teeming with bacteria, but you'll need to test it like this kid did. Take this article to the most hard-core science teacher at your school. Say you want to re-create it for extra credit, and because your curious. He/She will probably be all for it.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
            You should check these guys out

Comment

Well, if you're a "glass half full" kind of person, the moral of this story is: this high school has really, really clean toilettes.

Comment

it may be like that in every school

who knows

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

The water fountain outside of our schools pool is amazingly good and icy cold.

Very refreshing :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by The Hamburgler
                    It seems some were using it to sneak in alcohol.
                    We allow the kids to bring in bottled water at our school - gee, maybe that's why they're so happy all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                      You serious???
                      Haha no, there is always gum and loogies on our fountains so i never actually drink from them i just bring a bottle of water or buy one at school.

Were not actually supposed to bring water from home because of all the alcohol that's brought it, but everyone does it anywase and they don't seem to mind too much.

Comment

Yuck. That's the only thing that comes to mind.
                        And whatever you do, don't bring clean bottled water to school with you.
                        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Working...
                        X