No announcement yet.

Fined for NOT Drinking and driving!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fined for NOT Drinking and driving!!!!

Man fined $75 for not drunk driving

By SHARON LEM -- Sun Media

The Toronto Sun

Ross Bayley thought he was doing the right thing when he left his car at work after drinking a few glasses of wine over dinner.

But to Bayley's surprise when he returned to his car at 8 a.m. the next morning, he found a $75 ticket on his windshield after parking his car in a city-run parking lot
    in downtown Newmarket on Botsford St. near Main St.

"I was so annoyed I marched right over to city hall and told them I was being a responsible person by not driving home. They reduced the ticket to $50, but I told them they should reduce it to zero or I'll fight it in court and they wouldn't, so I'm going to fight it in court," Bayley said of the ticket he received in April.

"CASH COW"

Bayley, who owns the Theatre On Main, says Newmarket needs to change its parking enforcement bylaws to allow overnight parking in parking lots and town streets downtown.

"I could understand being fined a few dollars, but the size of the ticket is just a cash cow," Bayley said.

Statistics show the town of Newmarket has issued 1,282 tickets this year for violating the three-hour parking limit.

Mayor Tony Van Bynen said the bylaws were enacted after two years of discussion with community residents and business owners.

"Mr. Bayley did make the correct decision in deciding not to drink and drive and quite frankly, the consequences of drinking and driving are much more severe than a parking ticket," Van Bynen said. "The good thing about our system is the Mr. Bayley does have an opportunity to have it reviewed before a justice of the peace."
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Dude, I would slap city hall in the face, I would give the guy a reward!

Comment

Being responsible and not drinking and driving doesn't give someone the right to go and leave their car parked wherever they wish.

If he was parked illegally, he should have been issued a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
        Being responsible and not drinking and driving doesn't give someone the right to go and leave their car parked wherever they wish.

If he was parked illegally, he should have been issued a ticket.

I have to say I agree. Here in Denver, if you go downtown, most of the parking is either lot or meter. Someone owns those lots and lives off of the fees of parking. They pay large amounts of property tax on those pieces of property. If they let everyone go no fees on the overnight parking they are just throwing money away. Most lots have signs posted about tickets. You just have to know your surroundings and what is posted.

It's commendable that he didn't drink and drive, but it was his choice to drink the wine, and his choice to park his car there. If it was posted, he's responsible for the ticket.
        Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Yeah, NOT driving drunk doesn't give a person a warrant to park their car wherever they want. He should pay the ticket happily and be blessed that he didn't drive and kill someone or himself....

$50 vs. death or thousands in fines....

I'll take the $50 ticket any day.

Comment

I think there are lessons to be learned from this, perhaps these places could setup a system where by if you drink at certain places and pay a set fee maybe $5's for the night you'll save yourself from the fine. It may not seem a large fee for all night parking but since its probably a quiet period for these places anyway, any fee they can get is better than nothing, plus the incentive to avoid parking fines could attract more people in.
            "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
            Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
              I think there are lessons to be learned from this, perhaps these places could setup a system where by if you drink at certain places and pay a set fee maybe $5's for the night you'll save yourself from the fine. It may not seem a large fee for all night parking but since its probably a quiet period for these places anyway, any fee they can get is better than nothing, plus the incentive to avoid parking fines could attract more people in.
              I think that's the message the guy was trying to get across.
              President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
              I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Wow...towns are really trying to get money now.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                2. Taxes
                3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Working...
                X