• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash victim's headstone repossessed

Crash victim's headstone repossessed
    The Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 07/31/2007 03:34:06 PM MDT

SPRINGVILLE, Utah—The cemetery headstone for a teenager who died in a car wreck was repossessed after a $750 bill went unpaid. "That's just business," said Linda Anderson of Memorial Art Monument. "If we give every stone to everybody, we'd be out of business. They'd repossess your car if you didn't make payments."
    Brady Conger, 17, and two friends died when their car smashed into a sport utility vehicle a year ago Thursday.

Memorial Art said bills sent to one address were returned, and the business couldn't reach Brady's mother, who apparently had agreed last year to pay the balance. "The end result was that there was absolutely no one who I could talk to about this," owner Mike Anderson said.

Brady's classmates raised money to pay the bill, and the headstone will be installed again this week.

i guess the bill collectors even get ya when ya die

its good to hear that the headstone will be re installed
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

When I was growing up, my mom had a best friend who had 4 children. Right around 4th of July, the youngest followed his older brother down a bike path. The older brother did not notice that his little brother had followed and proceeded to ride his bike across a busy street. The little brother followed, though back a few feet behind the older brother. He was struck by a car and killed instantly. The parents were not well off at all and had the headstone placed on the burial site with just a down payment. All of the medical bills started piling in, and they did not make the payment on the headstone. The headstone was removed from the burial site. Very sad, but as the lady said, they can't give them away for free. The friends of the family pitched in and paid the headstone off and it was replaced back on the burial site.
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove View Post
      When I was growing up, my mom had a best friend who had 4 children. Right around 4th of July, the youngest followed his older brother down a bike path. The older brother did not notice that his little brother had followed and proceeded to ride his bike across a busy street. The little brother followed, though back a few feet behind the older brother. He was struck by a car and killed instantly. The parents were not well off at all and had the headstone placed on the burial site with just a down payment. All of the medical bills started piling in, and they did not make the payment on the headstone. The headstone was removed from the burial site. Very sad, but as the lady said, they can't give them away for free. The friends of the family pitched in and paid the headstone off and it was replaced back on the burial site.
      its sad to hear that those things happen

one would figure that people would rally together and pitch in what they could afford

id hate to have the job of taking the headstone away thou
      imagine your the mother/father and return to the grave of your son/daughter to see no headstone in place very sad
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

This is the reason I have plenty of life insurance on myself ($500,000), my wife ($500,000), and my 3 kids ($10,000 for funeral and burial purpose GOD forbid).

I feel for the family but Memorial Arts is a business and people have to pay their bills.

What happens if you don't pay the bill for the casket after a few months?

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad Broncofan View Post
          This is the reason I have plenty of life insurance on myself ($500,000), my wife ($500,000), and my 3 kids ($10,000 for funeral and burial purpose GOD forbid).

I feel for the family but Memorial Arts is a business and people have to pay their bills.

What happens if you don't pay the bill for the casket after a few months?:eek:
          looks like youll get evicted then
          sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

This was big news here in Utah and people were down right outraged about it. You can understand both points of view but at least this issue was resolved.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X