Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it OK to break up with someone via e-mail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it OK to break up with someone via e-mail?

Is it OK to break up with someone via e-mail or text messaging?
    Never. So tacky:
    83.33%
    Only if we’ve just started dating
    5.56%
    Yes, if the person is a total jerk:
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

That would be pretty cold. Although I did break up with a girl via note in middle school.

Comment

I would never break up with someone, or ask someone out over the internet or the phone, the only way I would ever break-up or ask someone out is in person...

Comment

Yeah, it depends on the circumstances. I have broken up with someone this way. She lives in another town that's 3 hours away and I've known her for a long time before that. She came down for a seminar for her job (we were just friends at this point) and while she was in town she came to visit. Well, one thing led to another and -Blamo!- we were having sex on a regualr basis. I started to get uncomfortable with the fact that she was cheating on her cop boyfriend with me so I ended it. We only screwed around for like a month so I think that was ok. It would have been bad if I called her home and her boyfriend answered and I would say "Put your girlfriend on the phone so I can break up with her". That would be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
          Yeah, it depends on the circumstances. I have broken up with someone this way. She lives in another town that's 3 hours away and I've known her for a long time before that. She came down for a seminar for her job (we were just friends at this point) and while she was in town she came to visit. Well, one thing led to another and -Blamo!- we were having sex on a regualr basis. I started to get uncomfortable with the fact that she was cheating on her cop boyfriend with me so I ended it. We only screwed around for like a month so I think that was ok. It would have been bad if I called her home and her boyfriend answered and I would say "Put your girlfriend on the phone so I can break up with her". That would be bad.
          yeah, would have been bad. unique situations aside . . .

as a general rule, i think you have to suck it up and grow a pair. it's going to suck no matter so try to salvage as much dignity as you can.
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

No, it's too impersonal to do it. She deserves at least a face to face.

Comment

Well, as a proud MSN customer, i would NEVER break up with someone via email - as my emails are completely UNreliable. But seriously, how you end something is important, i think. The only time i ever encouraged a friend to break-up with someone in a "questionable" way was of course due to special circumstances. He was a jerk and she couldn't find the courage to end it when she was with him or hearing his voice. So she wrote him a letter and together we had it messengered over to his house. haha. Bastard had to sign for it and everything.
              Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

Comment

I voted yes, but not if the person is a jerk. I think it is ok if you feel that doing so may put you in physical harm somehow. Or if it is just impossible to do so in person.

Otherwise, at least a phone conversation to let them know you no longer want to see them is fair.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                You should check these guys out

Comment

Regardless of whether you feel the person is a jerk or not, I feel the least any relationship deserves is a face to face break up. Granted... this is difficult depending on the circumstances... but it's the only fair and amicable way of ending it. At least both parties get to voice an opinion this way. Who knows... mebbe the break-up was hinging on something "rumored" to have happened. At least you can clear the air between you this way.

Note: Special clause to the above would be a "long distance" relationship.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                  ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

it is never ok to break up w/ someone over an email thats the cowards way out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X