Law against baggy pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law against baggy pants

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on this. If this is passed, you can get a fine if any part of your underwear, including bra straps, show. To me it seems like it would be taking it to far.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/...fy3fYcNhdvzwcF

ATLANTA - Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws. The amendment, sponsored by city councilman C.T. Martin, states that sagging pants are an "epidemic" that is becoming a "major concern" around the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants. They would also be prohibited from wearing jogging bras in public or show a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The proposed ordinance states that "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public and the exposure or fondling of genitals.

The penalty would be a fine in an amount to be determined, Martin said.

But Seagraves said any legislation that creates a dress code would not survive a court challenge. She said the law could not be enforced in a nondiscriminatory way because it targets something that came out of the black youth culture.

"This is a racial profiling bill that promotes and establishes a framework for an additional type of racial profiling," Seagraves said.

Martin, who is black, said he plans to hold public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing next Tuesday in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

"The purpose of the paper is to generate some conversation to see if we can find a solution," Martin said. "It will be like all the discussions we've had around the value of the hip-hop culture. We know there are First Amendment issues ... and some will say I'm just trying to put young black men in jail, but it's going to be fines."

Makeda Johnson, an Atlanta mother of a 14-year-old girl, said she is glad Martin introduced the proposal. She does not want to see a law against clothing, but said she thinks teenagers are sending a message with a way of dressing that is based in jailhouse behavior.

Atlanta would not be the first city to take on sagging pants.

Earlier this year, the town council in Delcambre, La., passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

I have mixed feelings.

If a girl is wearing a spaghetti strap top on a 100 degree day and her bra strap slips out the side of it, who cares? Guys aren't going to be turning heads about the strap, girls probably won't think she is a hooker, and the police shouldn't jump all over it.

If a guy/gal is walking down the street with their pants on their knees and you can get a clear view of their undergarments, then thats the same as pretty much walking down the street in just underpants/dropping your pants in public. Is that indecency, I dunno.

Comment

Buy a damn belt!

And as for the 'racial' nonsense, Ha! Plenty of idiotic white kids out there 'pimping' it!

I always want to haul their low-riders down. Let's see how cool you feel then!

The bra-straps thing, not so much, but hell, if I can see your whole bra? Put it away!
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

i can dance!!

i can dance!!

everybody look at my pants!!

:dance:

hell, its a free country...

as long as people arent fondling with their genitals in public im ok...

telling people what to wear is just another step closer to...

COMMUNISM!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton... View Post
          i can dance!!

i can dance!!

COMMUNISM!!

The communism comment is funny, coming from 'The Rooski!'

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Sagging to purposely sag (gangsta style) is one thing....

I have such a tight little bootie that even with a belt my pants/shorts ALWAYS sag a little bit....

As for the bra strap thing....are women going to be expected to tape their bras to their bodies to keep the strap from being seen

UTTERLY STUPID PROPOSED LAW
            Last edited by TR3Y; 08-25-2007, 09:16 AM.
            I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Originally posted by TR3Y View Post
              Sagging to purposely sag (gangst style) is one thing....

I have such a tight little bootie that even with a belt my pants/shorts ALWAYS sag a little bit....
              As for the bra strp thing....are women going to be expected to tape their bras to their bodies to keep the strap from being seen

UTTERLY STUPID PROPOSED LAW
              You have a tight booty?

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

this sucks big time and would destroy my style.

i hope that law doesnt pass because i like to sag my pants down to my ankles

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post

It is only for Atlanta so it shouldn't affect many here.

I personally think it is dumb, mostly for the bra strap part. I can see where it would be hard to keep them hidden when it is hot and you want to wear a tank top. For the pants part, it could be debated both ways. Sometimes it is purposfully done and sometimes it isn't. I don't see the big deal though since boxers aren't exactly revealing even if that is all you are wearing. A thong might be a different story depending on how far down the pants are.

I would bet if they passed this and started actually ticketing a lot of people for it, women would just start getting around it by not wearing bras with tank tops or anything else that would allow the strap to show. That could be seen as an upside to the law though.

Comment

Originally posted by anton... View Post
                    i can dance!!

i can dance!!

COMMUNISM!!

You rule.
                    COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

one more civil liberty being taken away. cool, its not like the government is trying to exert its power over the people or anything.
                      sig pic removed by mod staff.
                      we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

maybe next they can pass a law that requires all young people to go to church, or one that requires women to wear veils in public. . . freakin' jackass idiots!
                        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post

Word....................
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
                            one more civil liberty being taken away. cool, its not like the government is trying to exert its power over the people or anything.
                            The government is supposed to represent the majority of the people. If the people affected by this law don't like it they can vote those responsible out of office the next time around. Make it an issue and make the candidates take a stand. Or if it's the people themselves that vote the law into being, that's how the system is supposed to work.

Personally, I think the bra strap is way over the top. And really, the baggy pants thing might look stupid but as long as they aren't exposing themselves, what's the big deal? I don't remember it being illegal to dress in stupid fashions when I was a teenager.

If it's in school, then it's up to the school and parents to decide. If it's out in public, what does it matter what article of clothing is seen as long as the skin that is showing is otherwise considered acceptable?

Hmm... this is borderline political. Just everyone avoid making this a partisan issue and it should hopefully be okay.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

For all ya'll bystandersin baggedy- azz jeans to hide ya banga-bangas
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X