15 yr old attends Ivy League College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 yr old attends Ivy League College

PHILADELPHIA - Brittney Exline is too young to vote, drive a car or go to an R-rated movie, but at the age of just 15 she is beginning her Ivy League career Wednesday when classes start at the University of Pennsylvania.

She said she doesn’t really notice the age gap between herself and her 17- and 18-year-old peers — and neither do they.

“I didn’t tell people right off the bat that I was 15,” Exline said. “A lot of people were pretty surprised.”

Exline grew up in Colorado Springs, Colo., where at 8 years she was already in sixth grade. By 13 she had finished high school math. She turned 15 in February and graduated a few months later.

She’s not preoccupied with how unique her accomplishments are.

“I wouldn’t even really realize that if people didn’t tell me,” she said.

She excels at math and science and is really interested in politics, so she enrolled in a Penn program that will award her degrees from both the engineering and liberal arts schools when she graduates in 2011.

Talents go beyond academics
    But her resume also includes years of dancing and singing and a couple of teen pageant titles.

“Her motivation, discipline and maturity provided clear evidence that, despite her age, she was ready to travel halfway across the country and thrive in Penn’s rigorous academic environment,” Eric Kaplan, interim dean of admissions, said in a statement.

There have been much younger college students: Jessica Meeker enrolled at Penn State two months before her 13th birthday, graduating in 2004 at age 16.

Exline’s mother, Chyrese, a geriatric supervisor, said her concerns about her daughter’s freshman year are probably no different from any other parent’s.

“We did our best to prepare her,” Chyrese Exline said.

Exline has already been on the Philadelphia campus for about a month, participating in a pre-freshman acclimation program. Program counselor Noemi Maldonado described her as “extremely outgoing, very social, very friendly, very mature for her age.”

Miguel Gonzalez, another program participant, said Exline revealed her age when a group of incoming freshmen were hanging out late one night.

“She’s really cool for a 15-year-old,” said Gonzalez, who turns 18 later this month. “We were surprised, but I don’t think it’s too shocking.”

This is a pretty cool post. High five haha.

sigpic

Comment

That is pretty cool....
      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Gifted kids do this all the time, I don't see why it's a big deal...

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Nice story. I hope she does well in life.
          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Admittedly self-serving post:

I had the chance to go to UW when I was 15, but I didn't go (because my mom couldn't afford it). I was pretty ticked at the time, but I'm glad I didn't go. My best friend at the time did go, and he graduated when he was 18 or 19. He's living with his parents now, and his greatest achievement was to work in a movie theater.

I'm not sure what that means...but I was glad I went to a regular high school, and did all that stuff. I am very glad I didn't go early, looking back.

But I have a lot of respect for young kids with the maturity and intelligence to do it, but I've seen a few cases where you look at the guy (not just my friend I mentioned) later in life and go, 'was that really for the best?'

Comment

Good job.

Takes alot of hard work to do that....

But I would find it lame....

For one it is a college with parties that stink compared to others...

and she is growing up way too fast. She needs to enjoy the time she has as a kid......

I love my childhood and teen[ish] times. I would not give it up for college.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange_Crush30 View Post
                Good job.

Takes alot of hard work to do that....

But I would find it lame....

For one it is a college with parties that stink compared to others...

and she is growing up way too fast. She needs to enjoy the time she has as a kid......

I love my childhood and teen[ish] times. I would not give it up for college.
                I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I'm PG and I didn't have true childhood and certainly not a teenage stage. My thought processes have never changed and I've always been able to keep up with adult conversation. My biggest regret in life is not skipping two grades when I was small. I'd be well into college now if that was the case, and I've spent so much time being bored (and having to take college courses outside of school) that I'd just as soon skip into college entirely. At this point college is on the horizon anyway, but I really wish I hadn't wasted so much of my childhood doing redundant things.

I've also found that I have a much easier time socializing with people older than I. I've never "enjoyed" my time as a kid and I'm assuming this 15 year old freshman is in much the same situation as I. I wish her the best.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

What are you studying? I'm a freshman in college and I'm barely finding the time to do anything, much less taking extra courses >_>

As for the girl, that's cool. I think there's a lot of kids who could do that as there's actually not much actually learned between the highschool grades (I found my high school years to be a rather huge waste of time) but honestly I don't think it's a good idea. It's just rather soon to be growing up. I'm almost 19 and I'm already yearning for the days of old.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                  - Carl Sagan

Comment

overachiever!

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Nice stuff. Wish her luck.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                      2. Taxes
                      3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae View Post
                        Gifted kids do this all the time, I don't see why it's a big deal...
                        jealous you didn't get in?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman1987 View Post
                          jealous you didn't get in?
                          No. I'm just wondering why she's getting all oof this pub for it. There's a 9 year old in Hong Kong doing the same thing.

What are you studying? I'm a freshman in college and I'm barely finding the time to do anything, much less taking extra courses >_>

As for the girl, that's cool. I think there's a lot of kids who could do that as there's actually not much actually learned between the highschool grades (I found my high school years to be a rather huge waste of time) but honestly I don't think it's a good idea. It's just rather soon to be growing up. I'm almost 19 and I'm already yearning for the days of old.
                          Latin, some Lit courses, and some history courses.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Working...
                          X