Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockies' Jeremy Guthrie goes from opening-day starter to trade bait

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
    I heard Hammel learned a new 2-seam fastball from the Orioles pitching coach which has worked very well. I'm sold. We need a pitching coach like that. Apodaca has NO pitching IQ.
    We need fire ballers.

    97+ with a change and slider.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
      Lol @ an O's fan getting cocky. We both know it won't last.

      Hammel blows. You are more than welcome for him. It won't last. You'll see. Enjoy it while you can.
      These moments don't come around very often so I have to take advantage of them.

      I know we'll probably crumble like we always do, but Hammel has done so well for us I'm shocked. I thought he would be middle of the road and just be there to eat innings and post a sub .500 record with a mid 4 ERA. But 8-2 with a 2.6 ERA???? Crazy.
      A book I wrote

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by CTM View Post
        These moments don't come around very often so I have to take advantage of them.

        I know we'll probably crumble like we always do, but Hammel has done so well for us I'm shocked. I thought he would be middle of the road and just be there to eat innings and post a sub .500 record with a mid 4 ERA. But 8-2 with a 2.6 ERA???? Crazy.
        I feel ya man. Us too. 2 good seasons other than that mediocre to bad.

        But anyways, we'll see. Maybe not playing at Coors was all it was. But I just can't see it. Had so many bright moments with us, only to come back to reality shortly after.

        Good to see you guys doing well though. Hopefully you can keep it up.
        2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Hammel's success just came from being on a team with someone who knows how to coach pitchers.

          Apodaca is the worst pitching coach in baseball.....
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
            We need fire ballers.

            97+ with a change and slider.

            Even if we had fireballers, they still need to learn how to pitch at Coors Field, and keep the ball down. Apodaca needs to be able to teach that, but he couldn't even teach someome how to peel a banana, let alone improve mechanics.
            sigpic

            2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
            Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
              Even if we had fireballers, they still need to learn how to pitch at Coors Field, and keep the ball down. Apodaca needs to be able to teach that, but he couldn't even teach someome how to peel a banana, let alone improve mechanics.
              Everyone seems to forget that we actually have a pretty darn good bullpen, who happen to be pitchers.

              We started the year with a 3rd year guy with an injury, a 49 year-old, a very young pitcher coming off of a near-death experience, an average innings eater (Guthrie), and a rookie. Our best pitcher was on the DL and our expected ace followed not long after. Right now our #2/3/4 pitchers are hurt, #1 can't handle Coors like many pitchers before him, and #5 was cut.

              I'm telling you guys, Apodaca is a fall guy. That pitching staff was set up to have growing pains from day 1.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                Everyone seems to forget that we actually have a pretty darn good bullpen, who happen to be pitchers.

                We started the year with a 3rd year guy with an injury, a 49 year-old, a very young pitcher coming off of a near-death experience, an average innings eater (Guthrie), and a rookie. Our best pitcher was on the DL and our expected ace followed not long after. Right now our #2/3/4 pitchers are hurt, #1 can't handle Coors like many pitchers before him, and #5 was cut.

                I'm telling you guys, Apodaca is a fall guy. That pitching staff was set up to have growing pains from day 1.
                Nicasio can be a good pitcher. Pitching coaches are paid to improve their mechanics, and he can't do that with Nicasio. Pomeranz and White, both considered great prospects, are also pitchers Apodaca could improve, but can't. I guarantee that if we drafted Stephen Strasberg, he would fail here. MLB pitching coaches are also paid to improve younger pitchers. Pro ball is much different than high school, college, or minors.

                Alex White has good pitches. If coached right, he can be an outstanding pitcher. Bob needs to improve his mechanics and delivery, but won't. Pomeranz is another example. They both have sucked this year. I still have faith in Chacin as well.

                Sure, Coors Field is harder to pitch at, but Bob needs to teach them how to get the ball down.

                None of our starters will ever be good with Apodaca as our pitching coach. And it's different teaching bullpen than starters. We do have a good pen, I will agree.
                sigpic

                2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                  Nicasio can be a good pitcher. Pitching coaches are paid to improve their mechanics, and he can't do that with Nicasio. Pomeranz and White, both considered great prospects, are also pitchers Apodaca could improve, but can't. I guarantee that if we drafted Stephen Strasberg, he would fail here. MLB pitching coaches are also paid to improve younger pitchers. Pro ball is much different than high school, college, or minors.

                  Alex White has good pitches. If coached right, he can be an outstanding pitcher. Bob needs to improve his mechanics and delivery, but won't. Pomeranz is another example. They both have sucked this year. I still have faith in Chacin as well.

                  Sure, Coors Field is harder to pitch at, but Bob needs to teach them how to get the ball down.

                  None of our starters will ever be good with Apodaca as our pitching coach. And it's different teaching bullpen than starters. We do have a good pen, I will agree.
                  Really most of that is assumptions. Nicasio can be great, but the kid has had less than 1 year playing and had no offseason due to his neck.

                  Jimenez had his best years mechanically here and even credited Apodaca on his suggestions during his no hitter. Yet you guarantee they all will fail? I would gladly bet you on the Strasburg claim, but we both know it will never happen.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                    Really most of that is assumptions. Nicasio can be great, but the kid has had less than 1 year playing and had no offseason due to his neck.

                    Jimenez had his best years mechanically here and even credited Apodaca on his suggestions during his no hitter. Yet you guarantee they all will fail? I would gladly bet you on the Strasburg claim, but we both know it will never happen.
                    Maybe not ALL of them will fail, but I'm just saying. If we had a pitching coach like the Orioles have, and could teach pitches our starters could be comfortable with and dominate, he could really improve the staff. Sure, it's not a guarantee a good pitching coach would make someone into the next Justin Verlander, but they do help in a big way.

                    Ubaldo already had his nasty fastball. If he had anymore dominant pitches that he controlled very well, he would be one of the greatest pitchers in the MLB and would've gotten his extension he wanted.

                    We need someone who can coach our starters to pitch long innings at Coors Field. But of course, I won't blame it all on Apodaca. O'Dowd needs to stop taking guys like Chris Nelson over guys like Jered Weaver, or Jeff Francis over Cole Hamels.
                    sigpic

                    2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      He's getting a surprise start Wednesday as an audition for somebody. Hopefully they dump him soon. And maybe they can get another 'innings eater'

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                        He's getting a surprise start Wednesday as an audition for somebody. Hopefully they dump him soon. And maybe they can get another 'innings eater'
                        Still can't believe O'Dowd declined the Jays offer. What a joke of a GM....
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Why is this guy still on the roster?
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X