2013 Colorado Rockies Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Hmmmm, sure why not. Sig bet? And I do think Rosario can hit 30+ HRs this year which would be awesome. If he can catch well enough start all the time. I don't think we'll have to worry much about that with Torrealba here though.

Well that's good to hear. Out of all the pitchers we have I think him and De La Rosa would be that two that would stay in the rotation the whole year if they're healthy.
    Sure sounds good to me. So, if Dexter hits 20 HR or above, you rock a sig of my choosing for 1-2 weeks? If he hits 19 or less, then I wear one of your choice?

Should we add in he needs to play X number of games or else the bet is void? It more benefits me in case he gets hurt or something and plays a low number of games (knock on wood).

I too think Rosario will hit 30+ HRs...dude has some crazy stupid power and is really a joy to watch.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Colorado Rockies ‏@Rockies 1m
      Additionally, the #Rockies have optioned OF Tyler Colvin to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

sigpic

Comment

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 40s
        Wrote that last night and today. Means Brignac and Herrera make it. Colvin needs at-bats to shake slump. And EY jr first in line

sigpic

Comment

Patrick Saunders ‏@psaundersdp 2m
          #Rockies Cuddyer and Rutledge collide in shallow right field. Both go down, Rutledge gets up slowly and is out of the game..

What is with this team and collisions in spring training?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Ok guys so that discussion on home runs got carried away a little from my intent.

I fully agree with Broncoholic that we have the big name power hitters in place right now as is. No need to go out and throw money and others.

And I also think Cargo > Holliday. Love the trade because we got 2 solid years out of Street as well before he went to crap.

I mentioned in my original post that our offense is already top 5 in the league. Not much you can go up. And we have hitters with plenty of pop. However I'm talking about the fun impact if the humidor goes away. Since it isn't helping our league worst ERA anyway.

You get rid of the humidor and suddenly Cargo is hitting 40+ like Bautista every year and Tulo is getting at least 25+. (Pending injuries for Tulo) How many times during a slump for Tulo does he get great contact but it's straight at someone. Without the humidor some of those line drives may carry out.

I also don't think Fowler is a 20 a year guy but without the humidor I think he could be. Same with Cuddyer.

I wasn't intending a discussion about replacing our current bats. I was talking about replacing a variable that slightly knocks down our potential HR stats in order to help pitching. Because it isn't helping the pitching.
            I say no on axe-ing the humidor. Coors has a bad enough stigma as it is, we would never be able to sniff a FA again if we got rid of the one thing that helps pitchers here.

The goal is to at least try winning games, if the Rockies got rid of the humidor for the fun value, then they are already giving up before they started. They do that, I would root for another team in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
              I say no on axe-ing the humidor. Coors has a bad enough stigma as it is, we would never be able to sniff a FA again if we got rid of the one thing that helps pitchers here.

The goal is to at least try winning games, if the Rockies got rid of the humidor for the fun value, then they are already giving up before they started. They do that, I would root for another team in a heartbeat.
              You say that yet the current selection of pitching doesn't really indicate any more effort on helping on that side.

Not really sure they care.

And when is the last time we sniffed a big name FA even with the humidor?
              sigpic

Comment

I'm honestly still under the impression that the altitude is a scapegoat here.

Does it impact it? Sure. But it's not enough to where you excuse our piss poor pitching. Bring quality pitchers here and they'll be fine. We just never have quality pitchers brought here because of the big "altitude excuse".

Other pitchers come here and do just fine. The Giants pitchers come here and are awesome like usual.

It's an excuse, that's used far too often, and it's just not a good enough excuse.

Without the humidor, it becomes more of a factor though. But with the humidor, I hate the excuse. Get quality pitching, and they'll be able to pitch like every other pitcher that stops through and kicks our ass.

sigpic

Comment

I'm really disappointed they did not trade Cuddyer. That was a horrible signing, his best years are far behind him. Let's get some young guys in here and trade Cuddyer for some pitching.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    You say that yet the current selection of pitching doesn't really indicate any more effort on helping on that side.

Not really sure they care.

And when is the last time we sniffed a big name FA even with the humidor?
                    I totally agree that the FO is inept when it comes to fixing the pitching problem, but without the humidor I would worry you would even scare bottom tier guys like Garland away unless you threw a ton of money at them. Which we all know they would never do.

Last big pitching FA we picked up was probably Mike Hampton and they had to break the bank for that.

I think it was Peter King who had an interesting idea for fixing the pitching problem, which was to stockpile strikeout pitchers instead of groundball/contact guys. King also predicted we would lose 109 games, so I hate him, but it was interesting at least.

Comment

That is what needs to be done. Get us some fire ballers!

Enough of the soft pitching, ground ball guys.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                        I'm really disappointed they did not trade Cuddyer. That was a horrible signing, his best years are far behind him. Let's get some young guys in here and trade Cuddyer for some pitching.
                        He was good and stepped up pretty well at times last year but you can tell his age is catching up to him. If we want to get the best market value for him then he needs to go now.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Dexter Fowler, OF, Colorado Rockies

Fowler's been one of the guys who always seems on the very precipice of figuring everything out, but then stops hitting for a month and is sent down to Colorado Springs for a couple of weeks. His OPS is more than 100 points higher than his 2012 line, but a lot of the weakness of 2012 was a mediocre April. Fowler's line over the past 365 days is now at .311/.403/.506 and that's a star line, even on Planet Coors. He's not going to continue to hit as many homers -- one of every three fly balls leaving the park is simply unsustainable -- but he'll partially compensate for that with more triples (only one this year after 26 over the past two seasons). His batting average may go even higher than it is now with his .338 BABIP being 14 points off his career number.

ZiPS end of season projection: .279/.374/.494, 23 HR, 17 SB

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...o-illusion-mlb

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X