• Show
Clear All

• [Nuggets] Kiszla: Trade for Kevin Love

Kiszla: Denver Nuggets should trade for Timberwolves' Kevin Love
    Posted: 05/05/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT
    Updated: 05/05/2013 02:20:12 PM MDT
    By Mark Kiszla
    The Denver Post
    Minnesota's Kevin Love, left, drives against the Nuggets' Kenneth Faried earlier this season. (Karl Gehring, The Denver Post)

Despite nearly 50 years of frustration, a pro basketball season can end with a victory parade in Denver.

It is possible for the Nuggets to bring the NBA championship to town.

This team is closer than you think. All the Nuggets need is a legitimate star. And they have the resources to get one.

Show me the Love. Bring all-star forward Kevin Love to Denver.

After dealing with injury, the harsh Minnesota winters and the ineptitude of Timberwolves management, Love's relationship is on the rocks with his current team.

Here's the starting lineup I want to see in Denver.

PG: Ty Lawson

SG: Andre Iguodala

SF: Kenneth Faried

PF: Love

C: JaVale McGee

Love, a gold medalist with the 2012 U.S. Olympic team, would immediately improve the reliability of Denver's half-court offense. Giving McGee a starter's role would make the Nuggets more athletic. Sign J.J. Redick or Kyle Korver as a reasonably priced free agent, and Denver would have its designated shooter on the bench.

Here's the trade I propose.

Send Nuggets starters Danilo Gallinari and Kosta Koufos to Minnesota for Love.

Might the Wolves squawk about Gallinari's injured knee? Of course. But Love is coming off a broken hand and knee surgery of his own. Might Minnesota prefer Wilson Chandler or Evan Fournier over Koufos? Massage the deal. Might new Wolves president Flip Saunders go to work on his relationship with Love and turn down any trade offer? Sure.

But here's the point.

The idea no superstar will ever play in Denver is bunk. Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri has carefully stockpiled sufficient assets to make a blockbuster deal possible.

If the deal is not for Love, Ujiri can find another way to make Denver a legit contender.

"I'll figure it out," Ujiri told me less than an hour after the Nuggets were bounced from the playoffs by Golden State.

So stop your moping, coach George Karl. Drop the defeatist attitude, Denver.

The Nuggets can win it all.

Read more: Kiszla: Denver Nuggets should trade for Timberwolves' Kevin Love - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...#ixzz2STL4FAcW
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

He pretty much read my mind, but we'd have to give up at least 1 first and probably more for Love.

It would be better if we could keep Gallo and send Chandler away.

That hypothetical starting lineup looks awesome.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

They almost pulled the trigger back in 2010 to get Love in attempt to get Melo to stay here.
    sigpic

Comment

I am hoping we can salary dump Javale Mcgee and spend the money on someone who will produce play worthy of that contract. I don't want Kevin Love. He is great when healthy however he is too injury prone. It is too risky. Plus he seems like he wants a big market. Will he leave after one season here ?

I think their are many big man options out there the team should pursue. LaMarcus Aldridge and Demarcus Cousins being at the top of the list. And too get these guys we would have to give up a package. I would try to get rid of Andre Miller, Wilson Chandler and Javale Mcgee. This would probably be a similar package in getting Kevin Love.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
        I am hoping we can salary dump Javale Mcgee and spend the money on someone who will produce play worthy of that contract. I don't want Kevin Love. He is great when healthy however he is too injury prone. It is too risky. Plus he seems like he wants a big market. Will he leave after one season here ?

I think their are many big man options out there the team should pursue. LaMarcus Aldridge and Demarcus Cousins being at the top of the list. And too get these guys we would have to give up a package. I would try to get rid of Andre Miller, Wilson Chandler and Javale Mcgee. This would probably be a similar package in getting Kevin Love.
        Javale didn't have a prayer to develop this year because Karl wouldn't play him. Just start him and now he moves from 18 MPG to about 27 MPG. We would have known if McGee really was the answer.
        sigpic

Comment

I just don't see him ever being a dominant center. He has no offensive game at all. He is a bad rebounder and has no idea how to block shots. He will have an impact here and there and gain you some momentum. However I want a guy who can be relied upon. We need to make moves to push us over the edge. And I don't see how keeping Javale Mcgee at center does anything but keep us where we are. And he is paid way to much money. If he made 5 Million he would be a great bench player who can come in and make momentum plays. However he doesn't, making him expendable. And if George Karl is still here it will probably be more of the same. So why keep him ?

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
            They almost pulled the trigger back in 2010 to get Love in attempt to get Melo to stay here.
            They should have got Love and then sent Melo away. lol.

Most markets would seem like a big basketball market compared to minnesota.

Javale didn't have a prayer to develop this year because Karl wouldn't play him. Just start him and now he moves from 18 MPG to about 27 MPG. We would have known if McGee really was the answer.
            He'll rack up a ton of fouls from the start if they do that but that's what they need to do so he's more careful and doesn't get 3 fouls in his first
            sigpic

Comment

I just don't see him ever being a dominant center. He has no offensive game at all. He is a bad rebounder and has no idea how to block shots. He will have an impact here and there and gain you some momentum. However I want a guy who can be relied upon. We need to make moves to push us over the edge. And I don't see how keeping Javale Mcgee at center does anything but keep us where we are. And he is paid way to much money. If he made 5 Million he would be a great bench player who can come in and make momentum plays. However he doesn't, making him expendable. And if George Karl is still here it will probably be more of the same. So why keep him ?
              Giving him all that money is what I think makes Ujiri overrated. Same with Iguodala and his deal.

I'd be fine with him if he didn't make so much. He's getting better though.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree. I have said for the longest team we overpaid pretty much every player not named Ty Lawson. I don't think anyone can dispute that anymore. I also think I overrated the talent Masai brought in. Really it wasn't that good. That is why I sort of don't place as much blame on Karl. Karl had no big man who is a force inside. He also had a terrible jump shooting team. I think it was more system then anything as to why we were so good in the regular season.

Comment

I agree. I have said for the longest team we overpaid pretty much every player not named Ty Lawson. I don't think anyone can dispute that anymore. I also think I overrated the talent Masai brought in. Really it wasn't that good. That is why I sort of don't place as much blame on Karl. Karl had no big man who is a force inside. He also had a terrible jump shooting team. I think it was more system then anything as to why we were so good in the regular season.
                  This statement holds a lot of water, but that brand of basketball does not win in the playoffs.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                    This statement holds a lot of water, but that brand of basketball does not win in the playoffs.
                    Exactly. Which is why I feel they need to change coaches. Karl teams have never excelled in a half court offense since he has been here. And in the playoffs, the game slows down to where you have to be able to execute somewhat of a halfcourt offense. I doubt Karl will change philosophies, so he needs to go. Now, maybe the organization can force his hand by getting guys to run a halfcourt offense and not as many run and gun players to fit his current style. But I doubt it.

Comment

I like the idea of acquiring Love. Lawson is about the only player I'd say cannot be traded to make a deal happen.

Comment

You can't win in the playoffs without guys who can create their own shots. No coach in America is going to change that.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                          You can't win in the playoffs without guys who can create their own shots. No coach in America is going to change that.
                          True.

But when you have an actual offense to run in half court situations then it really helps create shots. Thats where George failed miserably, ISO doesn't work when guys don't have the ability to create.
                          sigpic

Comment

I literally could not love a human baby as much as I would love Kevin Love on the Nuggets.

Comment

If this is at all possible, we have to go for it. Kevin Love is what we need. There isn't anything he can't do. He can knock down 3s, he's terrific at setting screens, and he dominates on the boards. If we only have to give up Koufos and Gallo or Chandler then it's a no brainer. Gallo and Chandler make each other expendable.

Comment

Working...
                              X