Nuggets and Karl Part Ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Nuggets] Nuggets and Karl Part Ways

@WojYahooNBA: Denver has parted ways with coach George Karl, league source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Yes Yes Yes Yes
    sigpic

@WojYahooNBA: Denver believes it can attract an elite coach with its roster; simply didn't want to deal with an unhappy Karl in final year of contract.
    sigpic

Comment

@WojYahooNBA: Denver plans to reach out for permission to speak to Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins soon, league source tells Y! Sports.
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome!!! And here I was thinking we were going to be stuck with another 1 and done next year.
        sigpic

Comment

Great news. Change has been needed for too long.
          sigpic
          2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

A lot of people are going to be upset about this.

Especially after 57 wins and coach of the year.

But I like the fan comment on ESPN. "We don't need to win 57 games, we need to get in and win 4 games after the 82 game regular season".
            sigpic

Comment

If we get Hollins I will do backflips. The guy is an elite coach and would be perfect to take this team to the next level.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                If we get Hollins I will do backflips. The guy is an elite coach and would be perfect to take this team to the next level.
                I'd be happy with that but I'd be happy with Shaw as well.

I think both could do wonders with this roster and improve the defense.

I really think it's extremely possible to do better than GK. And even if not I'm tired of 1 and done. You know what you are getting with GK.

Time to go with an unknown.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                  I'd be happy with that but I'd be happy with Shaw as well.

I think both could do wonders with this roster and improve the defense.

I really think it's extremely possible to do better than GK. And even if not I'm tired of 1 and done. You know what you are getting with GK.

Time to go with an unknown.
                  I like Shaw too. But Hollins is already proven to be elite.

He took that Memphis team from a bottom feeder to the WCF in just a few years. Imagine what he could do taking over a 57 win team!

Plus Memphis has been a top 5 defensive team the last 3 years. That is exactly what we need.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                    I like Shaw too. But Hollins is already proven to be elite.

He took that Memphis team from a bottom feeder to the WCF in just a few years. Imagine what he could do taking over a 57 win team!

Plus Memphis has been a top 5 defensive team the last 3 years. That is exactly what we need.
                    I agree defensively. And it needs to be said that I severely doubt they reach the WCF if not for an untimely Westbrook injury. Still impressive though.

But the thing that worries me about Hollins is that in spite of how great Memphis was defensively they were equally disgusting to watch Offensively. Hence a conference finals sweep.

Shaw was an assistant so not everything is credited or blamed to him. But Indiana was also better than the Nuggets defensively and wasn't nearly as bad as Memphis offensively. Though they did have some bad games like that game 7.

Like I said I'd be happy with either. Just have to make sure that in order to improve defensively that Hollins and the new GM don't completely destroy this offense.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                      I agree defensively. And it needs to be said that I severely doubt they reach the WCF if not for an untimely Westbrook injury. Still impressive though.

But the thing that worries me about Hollins is that in spite of how great Memphis was defensively they were equally disgusting to watch Offensively. Hence a conference finals sweep.

Shaw was an assistant so not everything is credited or blamed to him. But Indiana was also better than the Nuggets defensively and wasn't nearly as bad as Memphis offensively. Though they did have some bad games like that game 7.

Like I said I'd be happy with either. Just have to make sure that in order to improve defensively that Hollins and the new GM don't completely destroy this offense.
                      Their offense ran through Gasol and ZBO. Other than that, not a ton of offensive talent on that roster. He would not have that problem here.

Hollins is also a master at player development. Look at Conley, Gasol, Randolph, Allen etc. It's very impressive.

We have good talent right now. We just need someone to develop it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yayyyy. This needed to happen

Comment

If we hire Hollins I will be ecstatic. If we hire some no body assistant Coach, then this will probably end up being a huge mistake.

Either way, I'm tired of being stuck in this rut. We need to either get better and advance in the playoffs, or get worse so we can get a superstar in the draft. Obviously what we've been doing isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                            If we hire Hollins I will be ecstatic. If we hire some no body assistant Coach, then this will probably end up being a huge mistake.

Either way, I'm tired of being stuck in this rut. We need to either get better and advance in the playoffs, or get worse so we can get a superstar in the draft. Obviously what we've been doing isn't working.
                            I wouldn't exactly call Shaw a nobody assistant coach. Some others could probably be thrown in that category though.

But yes I would be ecstatic with Hollins.

I think I could jump on board with Shaw though.
                            sigpic

Comment

Can't say that I am surprised. Karl was an ok coach, not a great one. The great ones light fires under their players to get them to play at the highest of levels. The fact that the Nuggets lost to the Warriors was just a slap in the face. Basically, that lose showed the poor judgement in trading away Melo (the closer). The GM should probably get the boot too because I don't think he is doing a good job.

Maybe the GM should have brought in another star player in 08 or 09 and then told Melo, "Hey, when you see the KING this summer let him know we have a home for him".

Instead, of any of that happening the GM does nothing to help the team. Then goes on to make it worse by shipping Melo out. I am sorry, the run and gun will win games in the regular season but it won't win in the playoffs. Why? Because teams slow the game down in the playoffs to a half court game. So, with that said you need 1-2 superstars on the team that can close games.

Pat Riley, flat out is a genius. Yes, he paid most of the team $$ to those 3 players but guess what above average players are willing to take less to win multiple championships (M. Chalmers, Birdman, UD, N. Coles, R. Allen, S. Battier, etc.).

I think we need to go back to the drawing board, draft better and trade away some of the players we already have on roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X