Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Nuggets] Iguodala plans to opt out of contract to enter free agency

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nu...180030078.html

Nuggets forward Andre Iguodala plans to opt out of contract to enter free agency

Denver Nuggets forward Andre Iguodala has decided to opt out of the final year of his contract and enter free agency, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

Iguodala, 29, promises to be one of the most desired players on the summer market. His agent, Rob Pelinka, informed Denver CEO Josh Kroenke of the plan in a meeting on Thursday in Los Angeles.
    "We are fully aware of Andre's intentions and he's well aware of how much we want him back," Kroenke told Yahoo! Sports Friday afternoon. "Andre us a huge priority for our organization."
    Iguodala will bypass the $15.9 million owed him next season and will be eligible to sign a new four-year deal elsewhere or sign an extension up to five years with the Nuggets.

Iguodala has until June 25 to exercise the early termination clause on his contract, and virtually all players wait until the deadline to file the necessary paperwork. Without triggering the opt-out cause, Iguodala could only sign a three-year extension with Denver.

After superstars Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, Iguodala will be a target for several teams, including the Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons and New Orleans Hornets, league sources said.

Kroenke expressed a strong desire to keep Iguodala, but the losses of general manager Masai Ujiri and coach George Karl makes the franchise's future a little murky. Nevertheless, Kroenke is expected to have a GM and coach hired with time to formulate a vision and offer to try to keep Iguodala in Denver.

Iguodala has previously expressed a strong fondness for the Nuggets organization and his teammates, and his decision to opt out could ultimately lead to him signing an extension to stay in Denver.
    After Iguodala joined the Nuggets as part of last summer's four-way Howard blockbuster, the franchise pushed higher on its rise as a Western Conference contender. As the Philadelphia 76ers struggled without his presence, Iguodala's all-around abilities and leadership meshed perfectly with a young Nuggets roster.

Iguodala played his best basketball in the playoffs for Denver, averaging 18 points, eight rebounds, 5.3 assists and two steals in the six-game loss to the Golden State Warriors. For the season, Iguodala – an extremely versatile defender – averaged 13 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.4 assists.
    Iguodala played his first eight NBA seasons for the 76ers.
    sigpic
    2019 Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay
    2013 Adopt-a-poster: #87Birdman, AZ Snake Fan,
    BSD, Housh, Humcalc and Sophia

Well that gives us some freedom. Not good for our defense though. If we don't get him back or get a player like Kevin Love this offseason will be a failure.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

Don't blame him. Why would anyone with an option choose to come to Denver with currently no GM or Head Coach in place?

Players have no idea what they would be getting into.

Honestly they need to do due diligence but they need to get people in place soon or next season will be a disaster.
      sigpic

Comment

Best case scenario is he wants to go to a team with not enough cap room for the salary he wants and we do a sign and trade. Here's to hoping that pans out. Regardless, it's not a terrible situation getting that kind of contract off the books.

Comment

He said he'd do so in the season. He still could very well resign here.
          sigpic

Comment

Never thought he'd re-sign and still don't. Why I hated it early on. Hopefully he does tho.
            2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if we have any interest in Tyreke Evans. Evans can be quite similar to Iguodala and at 24 he can still get much better. After a string of injuries I can see Sacramento not valuing Evans as much.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                Don't blame him. Why would anyone with an option choose to come to Denver with currently no GM or Head Coach in place?

Players have no idea what they would be getting into.

Honestly they need to do due diligence but they need to get people in place soon or next season will be a disaster.
                I have the same feeling. Call me pessimistic, but why would anyone want to board this sinking ship??

I have seen it time and again, starting way back in the Mutombo days in the earlt 90s, the Nuggets build their team up, have a few years of winning records, some moderate playoff success, only to tear it all down and start over again!

This year will go down in history, as probably the FIRST, and most likely will be the LAST, NBA team in history to win 57 games, have a Coach of the year, their best season ever, but over react and blow up the team, fire the coach, let the front office go, and hire a Coach who never coached ONE DAY IN THE NBA!!!

I really dont know what they expect! Unless you BUY a DREAM TEAM ALA Miami, the Lakers, Boston, you wont realistically win a Championship in the modern day NBA anyways, so why start over??

I guess thats what we and 95% of the rest of the League will have to get used to though, it doesnt look to change any time soon.
                sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
                  I have the same feeling. Call me pessimistic, but why would anyone want to board this sinking ship??

I have seen it time and again, starting way back in the Mutombo days in the earlt 90s, the Nuggets build their team up, have a few years of winning records, some moderate playoff success, only to tear it all down and start over again!

This year will go down in history, as probably the FIRST, and most likely will be the LAST, NBA team in history to win 57 games, have a Coach of the year, their best season ever, but over react and blow up the team, fire the coach, let the front office go, and hire a Coach who never coached ONE DAY IN THE NBA!!!

I really dont know what they expect! Unless you BUY a DREAM TEAM ALA Miami, the Lakers, Boston, you wont realistically win a Championship in the modern day NBA anyways, so why start over??

I guess thats what we and 95% of the rest of the League will have to get used to though, it doesnt look to change any time soon.
                  I made that comment before we knew who the coach was.

At this point in time I think we upgraded at coach and potentially upgraded at GM as well. Though the draft was a bit odd. But Eric Green is a very solid pick.

No the team will not get blown up. We will still be a playoff team next year and with Shaw quite possibly be a contender. Let's face it a 57 team win still wasn't a contender with Karl.

Also don't agree with having to buy a dream team like Miami and Boston. Apparently you are unaware of the Spurs who have won 5 and been to 5 NBA championships in the past 14 years. And probably should've won 5. They did it through the draft and smart coaching without buying stars.

Memphis made it to the Western conference finals this year without any stars. So it can be done.

I'm not even remotely panicking yet. If we start the season 10-35 (which is highly unlikely) then I will start to panick.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post

This.

What does every move that the owner's kid has made have in common?

Ujiri was managing the club on a "handshake". And I don't remember the Nuggets offering to make the "NBA Executive of the Year", one of the highest paid GMs in the NBA. And that load of guano that Ujiri ordered the Owner's kid to not offer him a contract because he really wanted to be in Toronto is laughable. I can't believe that anybody buys into that. Karl, the "NBA Coach of the Year" clearly wanted some sort of commitment going into his last year on his current contract, and it's easy to understand why when you consider the job he did last season and the fact that he had earned the right to be a top-payed Head Coach in the NBA. And the Nuggets fire the guy.

So, what do the moves have in common? It's the common denominator to any business on Earth, "Money".

And now we have a GM who has all but said that he expects Iguodala will be playing in Denver next season. I hope he's right, but I don't believe it. And now, last night we trade out of the 1st Round because we don't want to be on the hook for a "Guaranteed Contract".

I don't need to be hit over the head to see that what's going on here is running the Nuggets on the "Cheap". As a fan, I hope it turns out to be the right way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                      This.

What does every move that the owner's kid has made have in common?

Ujiri was managing the club on a "handshake". And I don't remember the Nuggets offering to make the "NBA Executive of the Year", one of the highest paid GMs in the NBA. And that load of guano that Ujiri ordered the Owner's kid to not offer him a contract because he really wanted to be in Toronto is laughable. I can't believe that anybody buys into that. Karl, the "NBA Coach of the Year" clearly wanted some sort of commitment going into his last year on his current contract, and it's easy to understand why when you consider the job he did last season and the fact that he had earned the right to be a top-payed Head Coach in the NBA. And the Nuggets fire the guy.

So, what do the moves have in common? It's the common denominator to any business on Earth, "Money".

And now we have a GM who has all but said that he expects Iguodala will be playing in Denver next season. I hope he's right, but I don't believe it. And now, last night we trade out of the 1st Round because we don't want to be on the hook for a "Guaranteed Contract".

I don't need to be hit over the head to see that what's going on here is running the Nuggets on the "Cheap". As a fan, I hope it turns out to be the right way to go.
                      Lol at all of this. Ujiri and Karl don't deserve to be paid like GM and coaches of the year when they can't get out of the first round. Who cares what happens in the regular season if you can't get out of the first round.

Same with Iggy. Man does not deserve to get paid $16 mil a year let alone more. His play does not back it up.

So yes they are saving money. But saving money in the right areas. Not being cheap doesnt get you anywhere when you aren't spending it smartly on quality personnel. You can't throw money at people that they don't deserve just to prove you aren't cheap.

As for the draft why play a first round contract to a player at 27 who likely will have 0 impact on the team for years? Especially when you already have a 57 win roster put together. It's stupid and a waste of money.

They got a more solid pick at 46 anyway for less.

The Nuggets are no worse off today than they were two months ago when they got bounced early.

Some of you just need to lay off the panick button and really sit back and analyze what the Nuggets are doing.

And nothing they are doing screams disaster.

Both Connely and Shaw are considered extremely special up and comers by many around the league. Just because you don't know who they are doesn't make them bad hires.

And just because you don't understand their first draft/player personnel decisions doesn't mean they are in over their heads.
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess I'm the only one that's actually surprised Iggy opted out. There's no way he'll make as much money on the open market as he was set to make if he didn't opt out of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          I guess I'm the only one that's actually surprised Iggy opted out. There's no way he'll make as much money on the open market as he was set to make if he didn't opt out of his contract.
                          Exactly.

Iggy is worth NO WHERE NEAR $16 million dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                            Exactly.

Iggy is worth NO WHERE NEAR $16 million dollars.
                            If he thinks he's worth that much, no doubt he's going to crawl back to us hoping we'll at least match his best offer

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              I meant to say that in my post as well.

He is just a greedy stupid moron. The $16 mil was already ridiculously high. I mean this isn't Lebron, Wade, Kobe type talent we are talking about.

He really needs a reality check.

But I don't see how we are cheap as others said because he thinks he is worth more than 16 a year. He isn't worth 13 a year. We would be handcuffing the rest of the team to give him that kind of contract.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X