Iguodala plans to opt out of contract to enter free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I guess I'm the only one that's actually surprised Iggy opted out. There's no way he'll make as much money on the open market as he was set to make if he didn't opt out of his contract.
    He wants that ring. I'm sure he'd rather try to team up with a superstar or a couple all stars.

He's made plenty of money. He's a competitor. The ring is what matters to him. He's 29..so still has time left...but think he'd also like a multi-year deal as security. Whether he re-signs here and gets that security or goes elsewhere...we'll see....but my money is on elsewhere with a couple all-stars or superstar.

Hope I'm wrong...I like the team we have...hope most of it stays together and make just a couple changes.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
      He wants that ring. I'm sure he'd rather try to team up with a superstar or a couple all stars.

He's made plenty of money. He's a competitor. The ring is what matters to him. He's 29..so still has time left...but think he'd also like a multi-year deal as security. Whether he re-signs here and gets that security or goes elsewhere...we'll see....but my money is on elsewhere with a couple all-stars or superstar.

Hope I'm wrong...I like the team we have...hope most of it stays together and make just a couple changes.
      If he goes with stars then that means there was nothing we could do.

So I know you didn't make the comment but that makes the others comments about us being cheap even more wrong.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        I meant to say that in my post as well.

He is just a greedy stupid moron. The $16 mil was already ridiculously high. I mean this isn't Lebron, Wade, Kobe type talent we are talking about.

He really needs a reality check.

But I don't see how we are cheap as others said because he thinks he is worth more than 16 a year. He isn't worth 13 a year. We would be handcuffing the rest of the team to give him that kind of contract.
        I don't think it's him being greedy. I think he wants a multi-year contract. I don't think he'll be asking for 16 million a year...I just think he wants the security. We'll see. Doesn't seem to be a dude that is all about the money, and that's all that matter...he's one of the few that plays for the love of the game...I think...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          If he goes with stars then that means there was nothing we could do.

So I know you didn't make the comment but that makes the others comments about us being cheap even more wrong.
          Yeah. I don't think we are being cheap. We shelled out a lot of money last year to keep our core guys.

However, I do think we were a little cheap when it came to our GM. I would've made it worth Ujiri's time to stay. But...Ujiri also told us not to match...so who knows...

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's him being greedy. I think he wants a multi-year contract. I don't think he'll be asking for 16 million a year...I just think he wants the security. We'll see. Doesn't seem to be a dude that is all about the money, and that's all that matter...he's one of the few that plays for the love of the game...I think...
            If that ends up being the case I'll take my comment back.

I'm just saying what it appears from the start.

I have a hard time today believing pro athletes will bypass a big payday and take less money just to win.

Now security means more money in the long run. So I can buy that.

But he could get a larger contract in Denver.

So again unless he goes and teams up with Kobe or Durant I have a hard time believing he isn't money hungry.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I don't think we are being cheap. We shelled out a lot of money last year to keep our core guys.

However, I do think we were a little cheap when it came to our GM. I would've made it worth Ujiri's time to stay. But...Ujiri also told us not to match...so who knows...
              Yeah contrary to what some believe and even slightly contradicting my previous post there are random people who just flat want to go work at home.

Lifelong dream and what not. To some its worth the paycut. Honestly Toronto is not appealing so in this case I believe him.

Or it could also be that he likes the challenge of starting over and rebuilding. If he does it with Toronto he could earn himself a league office position someday.
              sigpic

Comment

When I start coming up with rationalizations for things that I don't like, I know I'm being delusional. Masai Ujiri is from Zaria, Nigeria. Ujiri is not from Toronto, no matter how much I may want to believe that Toronto is his "home". Ujiri went to college in North Dakota and Montana. He coached in Nigeria and scouted for the Orlando Magic. He was assistant GM for the Raptors from 2008 to 2010. If Ujiri wanted to go "home", it wouldn't be in Toronto, and I can't believe that people are so naive to buy into that excuse, that he graciously provided the Nuggets ownership, for Denver not spending the money to keep the guy. Ujiri was named the "NBA Executive of the Year" because he came into a complete train-wreck of a franchise, and pulled off some above average deals that allowed the Nuggets to get where they got to last season.

But, the proof is in the pudding. I'm already hearing excuses for why the Nuggets won't be as good next season as they were this year. Management is already building a foundation for failure. But, I'm willing to take the GM at his word when he says that he fully expects Iguodala to be a Nugget next season. And if he isn't, I fully expect to hear the same stuff from the "usual suspects" about Iguodala that I'm now hearing about Karl and Ujiri, that he isn't worth signing.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                  But, the proof is in the pudding. I'm already hearing excuses for why the Nuggets won't be as good next season as they were this year. Management is already building a foundation for failure. But, I'm willing to take the GM at his word when he says that he fully expects Iguodala to be a Nugget next season. And if he isn't, I fully expect to hear the same stuff from the "usual suspects" about Iguodala that I'm now hearing about Karl and Ujiri, that he isn't worth signing.
                  Honestly Iguodala probably isn't worth re-signing. It'd be nice, but at 30 years old, there's no particular reason to give him a big contract. I mentioned Tyreke Evans earlier, rumors are that Sacramento won't match an offer for him. He's 23 and a better scorer already, he has similar size and while he may not be as good doing everything else Iguodala does, he definitely has the physical ability to do it and is young enough to actually develop into a star. Iguodala has pretty much topped out.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                    When I start coming up with rationalizations for things that I don't like, I know I'm being delusional. Masai Ujiri is from Zaria, Nigeria. Ujiri is not from Toronto, no matter how much I may want to believe that Toronto is his "home". Ujiri went to college in North Dakota and Montana. He coached in Nigeria and scouted for the Orlando Magic. He was assistant GM for the Raptors from 2008 to 2010. If Ujiri wanted to go "home", it wouldn't be in Toronto, and I can't believe that people are so naive to buy into that excuse, that he graciously provided the Nuggets ownership, for Denver not spending the money to keep the guy. Ujiri was named the "NBA Executive of the Year" because he came into a complete train-wreck of a franchise, and pulled off some above average deals that allowed the Nuggets to get where they got to last season.But, the proof is in the pudding. I'm already hearing excuses for why the Nuggets won't be as good next season as they were this year. Management is already building a foundation for failure. But, I'm willing to take the GM at his word when he says that he fully expects Iguodala to be a Nugget next season. And if he isn't, I fully expect to hear the same stuff from the "usual suspects" about Iguodala that I'm now hearing about Karl and Ujiri, that he isn't worth signing.
                    If you want to get technical then you have to correct your own statement here first.

The Nuggets were not a train wreck of a franchise. They were a very consistent playoff team who's best season in history (playoffs included) is credit to Keke not Masai.

Sure they were in danger of losing Melo and he was able to get good value in return instead of letting him walk. But let's not act like the team was ever truly on it's way down hill. They also were not an NBA bottom dweller when he got here. They were a 1 and done playoff team before he got here and continued to be a 1 and done playoff team after. I would say all Masai did was maintain status quo around here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X