Recent Moves and the Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Nuggets] Recent Moves and the Draft

So the front office is in place. Tim Connolly is the General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations. We replaced the other guys who left and we finally hired a Head Coach. How do we all feel ? I personally am pretty neutral on it all and I will tell you why.

The interview with Tim Connelly annoyed me a bit. I heard our owner say that relationships are the most important thing to him. I then heard our General Manager say that he has got to where he has in his career through relationships. This pisses me off. It is like the saying, it isn't what you know, it's who you know. I will be interested to see his vision for the team.

Now the coaching search. I am excited. However I knew after hearing all this stuff from our owner that Hollins wouldn't get the job. We wanted a new guy who was more of a yes man. Shaw is more likely to be that considering he is a new coach and the other candidate is a proven outspoken guy. I think our owner is more interested in having fun at work then building a winner.

Now. The talk of personnel. I am dissapointed that we seem to be building around Javale Mcgee like he is a good player. I am sick of hearing the word potential with him. When the hell will he show it ? I hope he comes back much better then he has been in his career.

Then Andre Iguodala. He is good however it is looking like he is going to get a max contract. He is not worth it. I like him and want him back however if we bring him back there will be little flexibility with improving the talent on the team. And if we don't go into next season with a low post scorer and a 3 point shooter I will be pissed. Masai couldn't address the issue, lets hope this next guy can.

Now the draft. I like what I heard Tim Connelly say about doing "something creative" with the pick. Hopefully we see a trade of some sorts to bring in a good player. However if we stay put in the draft who should we go after ? I am hoping Seth Curry is still around. He has a great 3 ball. However if Jordan Hamilton got some minutes he could provide a 3 point threat.

John, I don't know how old you are or how much job success you have had but...it is about who you know, not what you know. That's common knowledge. Knowing someone and getting their recommendation gets your resume put aside more than having a 4.0 jump off your resume. It's just the way of the world.

Comment

Also, Seth Curry is currently projected to go undrafted completely. One of the best 3 balls outside of Curry coming out of college goes to James Southerland who has more momentum going into the draft than Seth Curry. I believe both would be good values for any team in the 2nd but a lot analysts are low on Curry given he is strictly a SG unlike his brother and his height and length aren't exactly flattering for the position
      Last edited by Matymaddog; 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

And you think that is right ? I have gotten a few jobs and have not finished my degree yet. However I have got jobs by just interviewing for them and impressing. And of course relationships plays a role. However I would have loved to know a little bit about the basketball ideas and history of our new GM as opposed to knowing he got hired because of a relationship.

And I would draft Seth Curry. We have the 27th pick. That is our only pick and if we want a guy who is projected to go at the end of the 2nd just take them. The talent gap is not that huge and I would be just fine having Seth Curry with the 27th Overall Pick.

Comment

I never said it was right, it's just how the world works now. That's why if you haven't invested any time in going to seminars, workshops, clubs, etc. I strongly encourage you to do so and network, network, network. You could have a 3.0 and be up against a 4.0 resume but if you have a club on your resume and they don't and someone vouches for you that already works for the company you are much more likely to be given the chance. It's just the way it works. Right or wrong.

It really is more about getting to opportunity. The interview as you stated is really all on you but people can easily BS their way into a job. If I get an interview, I usually get the job. It's the strongest aspect for me when trying to get a job, is how well I interview.

I agree, when it comes to all aspects of jobs it should be about what you know but it seldom works that way. Kroenke is a businessman and that's how it works in the business world. However, who you know also goes a long way in giving you the opportunity to learn the "What you know" part of it.

As for the draft I have a whole list of guys I'm doing a brief write up on I'll post later but Seth Curry is one of those guys. I'm trying to finish it up later today. There are quite a few guys we could have our eyes on if we stay put or trade back into the 2nd. The key to this draft will be not to over value potential over players that have proven they have the ability to play basketball at a high level but athleticism is also 100% a factor given you can't get on the court if you can't stay in front of your man on defense.

Curry has filled every role asked of him at Duke and got his shooting stroke back. He'd be a solid role player to provide a spark off the bench with perimeter shooting ability and gives good effort on the defensive end but minutes will be limited as SG at the NBA level will be a tough mismatch for him to guard as well as quicker PG's if he does improve his passing and transitions to a scoring PG
          Last edited by Matymaddog; 06-25-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Picking Curry at 27 and giving him a guaranteed contact? Lol that's a good one. But let's get back to a serious note regarding the draft. The Nuggets would rather give away that pick than have to use it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
              Now. The talk of personnel. I am dissapointed that we seem to be building around Javale Mcgee like he is a good player. I am sick of hearing the word potential with him. When the hell will he show it ? I hope he comes back much better then he has been in his career.
              You act like McGee has been in the NBA for a decade now, he's only 25. Centers generally take awhile to develop anyway and this holds especially true for McGee as his incredible length generally leaves his opponent with a strength advantage. As he continues to get stronger, we'll notice improvements in his post game. He came into the NBA as a very immature player, he's matured a lot since he was traded here. But Karl halted his development by refusing to start him. He made a good bit of improvement from his first year of starting to his second year starting in Washington, but his immaturity was simply too much for them to handle so they traded him here where he's been a bench player. McGee is only going to get better by getting on the court, even if he doesn't, you can't just not explore that alley, McGee is too talented for that. If you can win a championship with a running team, I think having a C like McGee is a necessity.

Comment

JohnLimburg makes some excellent points in the OP. These are basic and simple questions that all Nuggets fans should be asking. And as usual, we see some fans who don't like the questions being asked.

For me, and in my observations as member of the BOD of a local Oil & Gas Company, brains trump the ability to "schmooze", or "brown-nose" every time. Eventually, "relationship" schmoozers have to carry their own water. And when the "you know what" hits the fan, you can't perform a task if you don't have the ability. Connelly is a 1st time GM, so there's ZERO track record as a GM. Shaw is a 1st time HC, so there's ZERO track record as an HC. Simple as that. Is it a coincidence that the direction Kroenke's kid chose for the Nuggets is also the Cheapest way to go? I feel it's a fair question. Some fans don't like it being asked.

And keep in mind that Shaw was our 2nd Choice. Our 1st Choice will be coaching the LA Clippers, in case there is any confusion on that point. So, the "money" issue can be argued in the other direction, here.

I'm of the opinion that Iguodala is gone. And he's gone because of the most important thing in "business". And that is, "Money". And the argument that will be made, in my opinion, is that he isn't worth the money that he will be able to garner in Free Agency. Some fans disagree, and believe that Iguodala opting out of his contract is all part of a grand scheme that will end up with him remaining in Denver. I hope that's true. But, in my experience, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Iguodala wants to leave or he wouldn't have opted out of a contract that would have paid him $15.9 freakin' million dollars, next season.

As far as the Draft is concerned, don't get your hopes up. It's being reported that the Nuggets are shopping the 1st Round Pick, wanting to trade for a 1st Rd. Pick next year, or move out of the 1st and into the 2nd. Why would the Nuggets do that? The "party line" is that their "roster is set". Once again, I can't help but ask if it's, once again, about the money. If Iguodala indeed does leave the Nuggets, I'd think that the Nuggets would be looking at moving up, if anything, to get somebody who can replace Iguodala. Somebody who would cost a tiny fraction of what Iguodala would cost.

As to McGee, that's where I have the most hope. I know very little about Shaw, but it is being said that he is a "teacher". Karl coached a team of players that he felt should already know how to play the game. He wasn't a teacher. So, there's some hope for fans that McGee might grow into being a man.

Comment

Shaw and Connelly are first years as the man.

But they were assistant coachand assistant GM for a long time.

Lets not act like that counts for nothing. They have tons of experiencing and were huge parts of what the coach/GM they supported were able to accomplish

It's not like they are coming in out of college with no real world experience. Besides what did Karl and Massais multiple years/jobs as the guy get us anyway?

I don't buy those concerns for 1 minute with these guys.
                  sigpic

Comment

Is it me or should FA come BEFORE the draft?
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Brandon Krisztal ‏@BK1043 7m
                      I heard from a well informed source, the #Nuggets threw a Faried for Oladipo offer to Orlando, but Rob Hennigan declined

I don't know if I buy it. But interesting if so. Faried can't go up against the big boys and maybe we figure he never will be able to...
                      2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
                        I heard from a well informed source, the #Nuggets threw a Faried for Oladipo offer to Orlando, but Rob Hennigan declined

I don't know if I buy it. But interesting if so. Faried can't go up against the big boys and maybe we figure he never will be able to...
                        Not really liking Connelly so far.
                        Last edited by Houshmazode; 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post

I have no problem with trading Faried. But that trade would have been dumb, especially if we resigned Iggy. Oladipo can't shoot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'd have no problem trading him either.
                            2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                              I have no problem with trading Faried. But that trade would have been dumb, especially if we resigned Iggy. Oladipo can't shoot.
                              Is this a joke?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X