Nuggs will not trade Anre Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    To me expiring contract means wait till next year and sign him in Free agency so you don't have to give up anything but cash for him.

It's not like Melo or Dwight Howard that we are talking about here. Not a high sought after commodity to go trading afraid some other team will beat you to it.

I can see the injury thing playing out where we get lucky. Outside of that if I'm a GM I wait till his contract expires and he becomes a FA. If he retires then it proves you shouldn't have wasted your picks, prospects, vets on him.
    Teams take expiring contracts so that they get more cap space the following year to use on free agents but only if they have a larger contract that they are on the hook for, for another two years or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
      Teams take expiring contracts so that they get more cap space the following year to use on free agents but only if they have a larger contract that they are on the hook for, for another two years or more.
      Again this isn't Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh or Melo we are talking about. Not a player at the end of his first or second contract.

We are talking about 37 year old Andre Miller who may retire after his contract. And even if he resigned it would be 1 year. Also not a huge contract so unlikely to offer salary cap relief.

So normal operating procedures aside I'm yet to see a reason why a team would take this risk on a 37 year old.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
        You trade for him to see if you do want to sign him in FA. If he plays well, you sign him in FA. If not, let some other poor sucker overpay for him
        Makes no sense to give up players for this.

The thread is wishful thinking on the fans part that we would get something of value for him. So we aren't just talking about another over the hill player, a bum or D league player.

We are talking about wanting an impact player or draft picks. To me that is way too much for a team to consider giving us for a 37 year old. I just don't see the upside in that. Only way you take that risk is if you know the player you are getting is that missing peice.

For instance at his age I would give up prospects for Duncan. Because he could get this team past playoff rounds. Andre Miller doesn't have that kind of impact. Although he might for a team like OKC that is already great and needs 1 more peice to compete with the Heat.

Plain and simple I just don't see anyone giving us anything of value for a 37 year old Andre Miller.
        sigpic

Comment

Again this isn't Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh or Melo we are talking about. Not a player at the end of his first or second contract.

We are talking about 37 year old Andre Miller who may retire after his contract. And even if he resigned it would be 1 year. Also not a huge contract so unlikely to offer salary cap relief.

So normal operating procedures aside I'm yet to see a reason why a team would take this risk on a 37 year old.
          If someone traded for him that wasn't a contender it wouldn't be taking a risk. It would be a team in tank mode that wants to clear cap space for next year and they would do it if they could get rid of a contract of equal value that runs for an extra year or two past Millers contract. This would allow them more cap room next year rather than waiting two years. For example Miller vs a contract at the price that is 2 years longer saves the team trading for him $10 million. Expiring contracts have value.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cts/?mobile=no

You combine an expiring contract, a low contract value player and a pick or two you can get solid value out of it.
          Last edited by Matymaddog; 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Makes no sense to give up players for this.

The thread is wishful thinking on the fans part that we would get something of value for him. So we aren't just talking about another over the hill player, a bum or D league player.

We are talking about wanting an impact player or draft picks. To me that is way too much for a team to consider giving us for a 37 year old. I just don't see the upside in that. Only way you take that risk is if you know the player you are getting is that missing peice.

For instance at his age I would give up prospects for Duncan. Because he could get this team past playoff rounds. Andre Miller doesn't have that kind of impact. Although he might for a team like OKC that is already great and needs 1 more peice to compete with the Heat.

Plain and simple I just don't see anyone giving us anything of value for a 37 year old Andre Miller.
            You can send players who are underperforming, who don't fit your system, are injury-proned, etc. It's a low-risk trade
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

If Miller is traded it will be for TPE or draft picks. Only way I see him getting us something is if his packaged with one of out PF.

But as of right now we can't even sign out rookie PG
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                If Miller is traded it will be for TPE or draft picks. Only way I see him getting us something is if his packaged with one of out PF.

But as of right now we can't even sign out rookie PG
                You can't use the TPE and trade a player.

Comment

Working...
                X