Colorado Avalanche 2017-2018 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

The layoff isn’t what got us last year. It was the lack of ability to play physical and handle how physical Vegas was. It’s part of why I’m still not buying this team until they get past the second round.
    So you would say no problem with the sweep this year?
    I'm not too up on which team - between Blues or Wild - is more "physical" but I imagine it is the Wild.
    It seems the Avalanche made some moves/trades to solve that issue, do you think the Avs have solved that issue for the playoffs this season?
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post

So you would say no problem with the sweep this year?
      I'm not too up on which team - between Blues or Wild - is more "physical" but I imagine it is the Wild.
      It seems the Avalanche made some moves/trades to solve that issue, do you think the Avs have solved that issue for the playoffs this season?
      There were signs in games 3 and 4 that a team could change their defensive style and be more physical and slow us down. If I recall we swept the blues despite not having more SOG or hits in games 3 and 4.

Those same signs haven’t been there against the Preds. A long ways to go tonight but we haven’t been outshot in a game yet.

I don’t ever recommend messing around and not finishing off a team as soon as possible. Seen to many blown 3-1 series leads in Avs history.

The only thing I’m comfortable with is trying to finish them off with Francouz. If it doesn’t happen not the worst thing. But absolutely go for it.
      sigpic

Comment

• This Makar kid seems to be pretty good at this whole hockey thing
        Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

• This game feels like a loss. A lot of defense errors tonight.
          sigpic

Comment

• Well I spoke too soon!! Go Avs! Love smoking the Preds!!!
            sigpic

Comment

• SWEEP!

Get some rest for Kuemper and Cogs. Let the Blues and Wild keep beating the hell out of each other.

Comment

• So that was fun and all but I think we all know in Colorado the playoffs don’t start until round 2. We get some rest and then find out if this team has really improved or not. My gut says yes based on Makars maturity on defense but you never know. There were a couple of usual defensive lapses last night but overall for the series they were solid.

I don’t really want the wild and blues to go 7. I think that’s too long of a layoff. 6 should be good as long as round 2 doesn’t start Saturday while I’m out of town.
                sigpic

Comment

• The layoff is not going to be a problem and it wasn't a problem last year. Remember that they were up 2-0 in that second round series.

The differences between this year and last year:
                  1. The Avs revamped their neutral zone philosophy and are less often relying on the pure skating ability of a select few guys to get the puck through the zone. They are now passing much more and, if necessary, are willing to dump and chase. They still prefer to come through the zone with speed and control but if someone stops them they don't panic and break down anymore. We're getting tape to tape passes when possible and the dump and chase when all else fails and it's resulting in a very high time of possession advantage.

2. Health/suspensions. They're going to have the full roster available, including EJ who led the team in plus/minus against Nashville. He missed all of last year pretty much, while Kadri got himself suspended among the other injuries.

3. The trades. We sent out a dozen draft picks and prospects plus Jost to bring in Kuemper, Manson, Cogliano, Lehkonen, Sturm, and MacDermid. This is why.

Comment

• Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                    The layoff is not going to be a problem and it wasn't a problem last year. Remember that they were up 2-0 in that second round series.

The differences between this year and last year:
                    1. The Avs revamped their neutral zone philosophy and are less often relying on the pure skating ability of a select few guys to get the puck through the zone. They are now passing much more and, if necessary, are willing to dump and chase. They still prefer to come through the zone with speed and control but if someone stops them they don't panic and break down anymore. We're getting tape to tape passes when possible and the dump and chase when all else fails and it's resulting in a very high time of possession advantage.

2. Health/suspensions. They're going to have the full roster available, including EJ who led the team in plus/minus against Nashville. He missed all of last year pretty much, while Kadri got himself suspended among the other injuries.

3. The trades. We sent out a dozen draft picks and prospects plus Jost to bring in Kuemper, Manson, Cogliano, Lehkonen, Sturm, and MacDermid. This is why.
                    Let's hope you're right. I am never in favor of a long layoff between playoff series. They need to stay sharp and playing games is the only way to do that.

Comment

• Bring on the Blues. It’s only 3 extra days rest from what they’ll have so I really don’t think we can complain about layoff rust if we blow either first two home games.

Not sure when the series starts yet though. My yahoo app isn’t showing anything but round 1 series through Sunday yet.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        Bring on the Blues. It’s only 3 extra days rest from what they’ll have so I really don’t think we can complain about layoff rust if we blow either first two home games.

Not sure when the series starts yet though. My yahoo app isn’t showing anything but round 1 series through Sunday yet.
                        The NHL is waiting until these games 7 are over to announce. We know that Monday will kick off rd 2, but rumor is we would be tuesday. Makes no sense to me. I am holding hope for Monday
                        So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Absolutely absurd that no games are being played tonight and our series doesn’t start until tomorrow when the blues have been off since Thursday. Ridiculous scheduling.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Enough with the nonsense. The layoff is irrelevant just like it was last year. Avs in four.

Comment

• Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                              Enough with the nonsense. The layoff is irrelevant just like it was last year. Avs in four.
                              It's not nonsense, the NHL scheduling has and is ridiculous. What reason is there to not have round two start tonight? The schedule as to what time is also ridiculous, apparently they don't feel that they need fans interested except on mountain time and pacific time? I am losing interest as I write this!
                              sigpic

Comment

• It's literally one day of difference. 24 hours. Who the hell cares? Stop being such drama queens.

If your enjoyment of the game is changed by the start time being moved an hour in either direction you're not a fan anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X