Colorado Avalanche 2017-2018 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Haha I was very confused for a bit and then realized you dug up a very old post to quote. Good stuff. Feel bad Girard missed so much of the postseason though.
    It sucks but it will make him come back more hungry next season.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

• Anybody catch that 30 for 30 yesterday? I had kind of forgotten it was airing and also was anxious about the game. I need to see if I can find a re air to record. And also see if the parade Thursday will be televised on directv that I can record.
      sigpic

Comment

Anybody catch that 30 for 30 yesterday? I had kind of forgotten it was airing and also was anxious about the game. I need to see if I can find a re air to record. And also see if the parade Thursday will be televised on directv that I can record.
        I watched it. It was awesome, but it only covers through the 1998 season.

So that means no Avs 2nd cup, no Wings 3rd cup, no Bertuzzi incident, etc. There is supposed to be an extended cut of it on ESPN+ but I haven't checked that out yet.
        Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

• Originally posted by famicommander View Post

So that means no Avs 2nd cup, no Wings 3rd cup, no Bertuzzi incident, etc. There is supposed to be an extended cut of it on ESPN+ but I haven't checked that out yet.
          I need to watch it. That era was my introduction to hockey as a 12 year old with the Avs brand new in town. Hockey fan for life largely due to that rivalry.
          sigpic

Comment

• Again, I am an Avs fan, and do not want to leave out the other guys, because it took a whole team to win the cup. I have always been a MacKinnon fan, and I could comment about many of the players on the team...why they are so valuable to the success of this team. Including Kadri, who has really matured as a player, and clearly showed that he is fearless on more than one front.

BUT, even though I knew how good Makar was, right back to his Junior days, I am continually amazed at how complete his game is. I saw him do things in these playoffs that no one can do, as a complete package. He is so young but if someone can name a weak spot in his game, please tell me. For example, I did not know if he was a punishing hitter, but he was very physical, and at times, punishing. But his speed and reflexes are off the chart. And his hockey IQ. I loved the way he hunted down Palat with little time on the clock, and forced the pass backwards into the Tampa zone, and then chased down Stamkos to basically kill the clock. Not every Dman makes that happen. But he knew he could force the issue.

And another thing I have mentioned is that The Avs are blessed with Dmen! I know how good Byram was as a Junior, so this team is set. Most teams are lucky to have one top quality Dman, but The Avs have at least 2 very young ones. Toews was also a great addition, and the remaining contingent is solid - the Johnsons, Manson and Girard.

All this and I have hardly mentioned the forwards, who are a quality group as well. Kuemper did an excellent job overall, and though he was not sharp on the goal scored, he kept them off the scoresheet the rest of the way.

Colorado has an awesome team!!! Not saying a dynasty, which is often the place folks want to go, but they certainly have a shot at repeating.

Comment

Do you by chance know if it was unrivaled episode 9? I’m having trouble finding anything on espn on demand that references that episode. I was able to at least find on the espn app that it was an unrivaled episode not a 30 for 30. So I searched what’s upcoming on directv and there is an episode tomorrow night of unrivaled but all it says is episode 9 and not what it’s about. Hoping that’s the one.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Again, I am an Avs fan, and do not want to leave out the other guys, because it took a whole team to win the cup. I have always been a MacKinnon fan, and I could comment about many of the players on the team...why they are so valuable to the success of this team. Including Kadri, who has really matured as a player, and clearly showed that he is fearless on more than one front.

BUT, even though I knew how good Makar was, right back to his Junior days, I am continually amazed at how complete his game is. I saw him do things in these playoffs that no one can do, as a complete package. He is so young but if someone can name a weak spot in his game, please tell me. For example, I did not know if he was a punishing hitter, but he was very physical, and at times, punishing. But his speed and reflexes are off the chart. And his hockey IQ. I loved the way he hunted down Palat with little time on the clock, and forced the pass backwards into the Tampa zone, and then chased down Stamkos to basically kill the clock. Not every Dman makes that happen. But he knew he could force the issue.

And another thing I have mentioned is that The Avs are blessed with Dmen! I know how good Byram was as a Junior, so this team is set. Most teams are lucky to have one top quality Dman, but The Avs have at least 2 very young ones. Toews was also a great addition, and the remaining contingent is solid - the Johnsons, Manson and Girard.

All this and I have hardly mentioned the forwards, who are a quality group as well. Kuemper did an excellent job overall, and though he was not sharp on the goal scored, he kept them off the scoresheet the rest of the way.

Colorado has an awesome team!!! Not saying a dynasty, which is often the place folks want to go, but they certainly have a shot at repeating.
                Hey I’d be happy with a similar Tampa run and repeat next year even if we come up short of a dynasty in year 3. And even if we don’t make it back winning this one is more than a lot of hockey fans are able to witness from their team.

You’re spot on with Makar. When asked how another team can copy their journey Landeskog didn’t hesitate to say to say go find yourself a Makar. Which I thought was super high praise coming from the team captain.

The scary thing is the kid still has major room for growth. I didn’t actually think he was very sharp the last 2-3 games and his early penalty was very undisciplined. So while he’s scary good I do think there is still minor weaknesses in his mental game. But that said he’s so young and may very well now have the confidence to clean all that up. Not that anyone is ever expected to be perfect.

Thanks for the recognition Can. Means a lot coming from someone who I know is a very avid hockey fan.
                sigpic

Comment

Hey I’d be happy with a similar Tampa run and repeat next year even if we come up short of a dynasty in year 3. And even if we don’t make it back winning this one is more than a lot of hockey fans are able to witness from their team.

You’re spot on with Makar. When asked how another team can copy their journey Landeskog didn’t hesitate to say to say go find yourself a Makar. Which I thought was super high praise coming from the team captain.

The scary thing is the kid still has major room for growth. I didn’t actually think he was very sharp the last 2-3 games and his early penalty was very undisciplined. So while he’s scary good I do think there is still minor weaknesses in his mental game. But that said he’s so young and may very well now have the confidence to clean all that up. Not that anyone is ever expected to be perfect.

Thanks for the recognition Can. Means a lot coming from someone who I know is a very avid hockey fan.
                  Appreciate it DB!

When my buddies and I gather for our hockey talks, and analyze The Jets, I have often stated that The Jets need to do a few things, including making a big deal to acquire a top 2 Dman. That's not an easy feat, given how cherished 1-2 Dmen are. But my take is that most of the very best teams have good D, and usually one Dman who is like the QB on the ice. So unless you wisely draft a Makar, or even a Byram, or find players players on other teams (not all drafted) like Hedman, Pietrangelo, Josi, Fox, McAvoy (see, I know my American players!!), and more....you are going to have to generate production in other ways. But like a good QB, a top Dman can orchestrate, and in hockey, can usually play more minutes than most players.

I like Morrissey on The Jets, but he's not quite there yet. He may someday. Then again, outside of the draft, The Jets will have to make a huge deal to acquire a Dman at the level of those I mentioned. I'd do it. Trade Scheifele perhaps, who is disgruntled. Maybe Wheeler, but I doubt teams will give as much for him, given his age/contract.

Regardless, like Landeskog said, if you were to start a new team, I'd recommend getting the best Dman you can....top priority. Can control the flow of the game. Add a top center and a good goalie and you have a promising start.

Comment

Do you by chance know if it was unrivaled episode 9? I’m having trouble finding anything on espn on demand that references that episode. I was able to at least find on the espn app that it was an unrivaled episode not a 30 for 30. So I searched what’s upcoming on directv and there is an episode tomorrow night of unrivaled but all it says is episode 9 and not what it’s about. Hoping that’s the one.
                    It's not a 30 for 30, it's an E:60 documentary. So it's probably the 9th episode of this season of E:60 or whatever. But yes, it's called Unrivaled: Red Wings v. Avalanche.

Comment

• I had no idea EJ was an Avs fan growing up.

I guess it makes sense. He grew up in Minnesota and the Avs' glory days were after the Northstars left but before the Wild began play.

Comment

Here's what I got from YoutubeTV. Looks like it airs several times over the next few days. Definitely recording it.

Those times should be Mountain Time.

And yes it is Season 15 Episode 9 Unrivaled.
                        Last edited by Houshmazode; 06-28-2022, 04:12 PM.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

Here's what I got from YoutubeTV. Looks like it airs several times over the next few days. Definitely recording it.

Those times should be Mountain Time.

And yes it is Season 15 Episode 9 Unrivaled.
                          Ok good. That’s the one I set to record.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Woah look at choo choos foot/toe X-rays
                            Last edited by Blondie79; 06-28-2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Rantanen had both hands wrapped and Makar had at least one of his wrists heavily taped when he hoisted the cup. I'm convinced Toews has some kind of ankle issue.

Landeskog obviously didn't practice almost the entire playoffs.

Burakovsky was planning to play game 7 with the broken hand and the broken ankle.

We know what Kadri and Cogliano were going through.

I'm still wondering if we'll hear about a surgery for Kuemper's eye.

Comment

Rantanen had both hands wrapped and Makar had at least one of his wrists heavily taped when he hoisted the cup. I'm convinced Toews has some kind of ankle issue.

Landeskog obviously didn't practice almost the entire playoffs.

Burakovsky was planning to play game 7 with the broken hand and the broken ankle.

We know what Kadri and Cogliano were going through.

I'm still wondering if we'll hear about a surgery for Kuemper's eye.
                                and tampa complained about there injuries ......we were just as beat up

Comment

Working...
                                X