Colorado Avalanche 2017-2018 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Agreed! Interestingly, even the good guys have to be prepared to drop the gloves once in a while, which for me alone is intimidating, along with the fact that no matter who you are, someone will try to body check you thru the boards! But the speed/skill/pain, over a pretty lengthy season (very similar to basketball), are exceptional elements.

For me, a guy like MacKinnon, and someday soon, Makar, should be making more like $20M. My goodness, in the sports we compare to, there are dudes making that much who are definitely not star players.
    Your right, I love how it’s seems like every player regardless of size is ready to mix it up.

The NBA has some tough guys but a lot of hold me back or else guys ( all bark no bite). Hockey players are all bite!
    sigpic

Comment

• I think the move, as much as it hurts, is to let Kadri walk.

If they re-sign him they're going to have to move at least two of Girard, Toews, Lehkonen, Rantanen after the season. Even if Kadri walks they're going to lose at least one of them. Salary cap is a cruel mistress.

I'd try Newhook, Rantanen, or Compher at 2C. Make a trade for a rental at the deadline if they have to, but keep the defensive core together.

Johnson should retire after the year and Compher will leave as an UFA. That will open up the money we need for MacKinnon's extension.

Then they have to make the tough decision and probably trade Toews after the season, because he's probably the most underpaid player in the NHL right now. This year he'll be our lowest paid defeseman, behind both EJ and Manson even.
      Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

• Originally posted by famicommander View Post
        I think the move, as much as it hurts, is to let Kadri walk.

If they re-sign him they're going to have to move at least two of Girard, Toews, Lehkonen, Rantanen after the season. Even if Kadri walks they're going to lose at least one of them. Salary cap is a cruel mistress.

I'd try Newhook, Rantanen, or Compher at 2C. Make a trade for a rental at the deadline if they have to, but keep the defensive core together.

Johnson should retire after the year and Compher will leave as an UFA. That will open up the money we need for MacKinnon's extension.

Then they have to make the tough decision and probably trade Toews after the season, because he's probably the most underpaid player in the NHL right now. This year he'll be our lowest paid defeseman, behind both EJ and Manson even.
        Hard to say so far, re: Kadri. It sounds like The Avs are still in it, and Calgary is certainly a suitor, now that they have lost Gaudreau. Just like Gaudreau though, Kadri could go to a less expected destination. He has turned down Calgary before.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Hard to say so far, re: Kadri. It sounds like The Avs are still in it, and Calgary is certainly a suitor, now that they have lost Gaudreau. Just like Gaudreau though, Kadri could go to a less expected destination. He has turned down Calgary before.
          The problem is that Kadri will likely sign for 5-7 years and he's 32. They can make a move to squeeze him under the cap this year, but again, next year MacKinnon, Newhook, and Byram all get big raises.

There's just no two ways around it. With Kadri they'll lose two or more of Girard, Toews, Lehkonen, Rantanen after next season. Without Kadri they can probably keep them all but Toews. All are younger than Kadri.

EDIT:
          and we have less cap space than we think we do this year, because there are performance bonuses in Newhook and Byram's deals they're likely to hit.
          Last edited by famicommander; 07-15-2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• I find it hard to believe Kadri hasn’t been signed elsewhere yet. Is his value really as high around the league as we think it to be?
            sigpic

Comment

The problem is that Kadri will likely sign for 5-7 years and he's 32. They can make a move to squeeze him under the cap this year, but again, next year MacKinnon, Newhook, and Byram all get big raises.

There's just no two ways around it. With Kadri they'll lose two or more of Girard, Toews, Lehkonen, Rantanen after next season. Without Kadri they can probably keep them all but Toews. All are younger than Kadri.

EDIT:
              and we have less cap space than we think we do this year, because there are performance bonuses in Newhook and Byram's deals they're likely to hit.
              The goal is to draft and develop players to be the best they can be. Or trade/sign....again hoping for the best. It's all good, except when it comes to paying them when they achieve your goals.

Comment

• Just sign Rodrigues or Stastny. Either one should be cheap enough that we don't have to lose Girard or Compher.

Then you have four different options to try at 2C (Rodrigues or Stastny, Newhook, Rantanen, Compher). If none of them produce then you make a move at the deadline.

But to me it's just not worth losing Girard (or Rantanen, or Lehkonen) to keep a 32 year old 2C. Especially when Kadri is likely getting a long term deal and there's no way we'll be able to fit Toews under the cap. Girard should be your long term 3D (assuming Byram eventually replaces Toews as 2D). We'd be especially screwed if we traded Girard and then Byram's concussion issues resurfaced. Then we'd end up with Toews and Girard both gone, EJ long retired, and a top pairing of Makar and Manson in a few years.

Especially since Kadri had a career year in a contract year. Last year Stastny played at a 50+ point pace, which is right in line with Kadri's first two years with the team.

Now, if by some ridiculous miracle Kadri agreed to a one year deal, that changes everything. But that wouldn't be a smart move on his part. He knows as well as anybody that he's 32 and needs to cash out.
                Last edited by famicommander; 07-16-2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• My championship gear started trickling in yesterday. Received 3 of my shirts and the pennant.

Both of my sons shirts shipped separately which is annoying but should get those next week.

The plaque finally shipped Friday which is the last of the four shipments.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    My championship gear started trickling in yesterday. Received 3 of my shirts and the pennant.

Both of my sons shirts shipped separately which is annoying but should get those next week.

The plaque finally shipped Friday which is the last of the four shipments.
                    I got both of my shirts but the hoodie still hasnt shipped and neither has my plaque (supposed to be delivered by August 24th lol). Usually Fanatics ships fast buy they gotta make everything after the Finals are over.
                    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                    sigpic

Comment

• Still no movement for the Avs. I really think they need to let Kadri walk unless he takes a massively team friendly deal. If they sign him there's just no way they'll be able to keep Girard, Toews, and Newhook after next year.

Just go get Stastny and call it an offseason. They can trade a prospect plus a first rounder for a 2C at the deadline if they have to, but in the meantime you have all season to try out Stastny, Newhook, Compher, Meyers, etc at 2C to see if any of them can run with it.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
                      Lehkonen-Stastny-Nichushkin
                      Newhook-Meyers-Compher
                      Cogliano-Helm-O'Connor
                      (Sedlak, Maltsev, etc)

Toews-Makar
                      Byram-Manson
                      Girard-EJ
                      (MacDonald, MacDermid)

Georgiev
                      Francouz

Comment

• I think any 2C we plug in on that line is going to look pretty good. Stastny would be nice because he can win faceoffs. Ben Myers is supposed to be good at those, and Helm too. I really want Kadri to stay but think we're still in for another great season if he goes somewhere else.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

• The only way it makes sense for the Avs to keep Kadri is if he takes a crazy discount or, even crazier, a one year deal. I'd love to get another year out of the guy but not if it costs us Girard, Newhook, and Toews.

Signing him to a 6 or 7 year deal at 32 years old, though? That's a contract that is likely to become a huge anchor. Not smart to exchange a RFA Newhook, a prime Toews, and a Girard with 5 years left on his deal for an aging centerman coming off what was, by a huge margin, his best year. There's about 10 years of a sample size that says Kadri is a 40-60 point guy, not an 87 point guy like he was last year.

Toews is signed for two seasons as one of the most underpaid players in the NHL. Have to squeeze two rings out of that contract because he's going to get more than double, close to triple, when he gets free agency. But if they sign Kadri they'd have to dump him a year earlier.

Byram is the heir apparent to Toews as Makar's long term defense partner, but we've never seen the kid play a whole season and those concussion issues can come back on them. Ended Matt Calvert's career. That's why it's so important to keep Girard. Right now he's a luxury but after Toews walks we're one Byram concussion away from having Manson on the top pairing.

Comment

• We wont lose Lehky, Moose or anyone by keeping Kadri.

If we had to move JT or Sammy that would be it.

I have heard (lol) that there is a 2x7.5 on the table for Kadri. Possibly even agreed to in principle. He is hoping for longer and more. IMO the longer this plays out the better.
                            So far:
                            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                              We wont lose Lehky, Moose or anyone by keeping Kadri.

If we had to move JT or Sammy that would be it.
                              MacKinnon, Newhook, and Byram are on the books for a combined ~8.1 million dollars next season. The following season MacKinnon alone will probably be getting 11-12M, and Byram and Newhook are both due big raises too. Neither Byram nor Nehwook are making 1 million dollars next year.

Johnson and Compher's contracts are coming off the books and that's where the raises for the three players above have to come from. If they trade Compher now to fit in Naz, that means they have to create more room next year. And don't forget that Compher is in the middle six; if they dump his salary they still have to find a player to replace him and that will cost at least another million.

So yes, they could squeeze Kadri in for one season by moving Girard or Compher. But beyond next season the Kadri contract would absolutely force them to lose at least one, possibly two more key pieces.

There is no cap space for Kadri on this roster beyond this coming season.

Comment

MacKinnon, Newhook, and Byram are on the books for a combined ~8.1 million dollars next season. The following season MacKinnon alone will probably be getting 11-12M, and Byram and Newhook are both due big raises too. Neither Byram nor Nehwook are making 1 million dollars next year.

Johnson and Compher's contracts are coming off the books and that's where the raises for the three players above have to come from. If they trade Compher now to fit in Naz, that means they have to create more room next year. And don't forget that Compher is in the middle six; if they dump his salary they still have to find a player to replace him and that will cost at least another million.

So yes, they could squeeze Kadri in for one season by moving Girard or Compher. But beyond next season the Kadri contract would absolutely force them to lose at least one, possibly two more key pieces.

There is no cap space for Kadri on this roster beyond this coming season.
                                Nah.

We have olesson and likely sekara or menga or coming in.
                                Ben meyers is expected to make the team next year
                                EJs 6 mil will go to nate which will be a wash.
                                When Bo is Due sammy will likely be offloaded.
                                The cap is expected to take a MAJOR jump after that.
                                Joe has been sniffing around Patty Kane and he has like a 10 mil hit. There is a way. We have enough guys coming from prospects to fill in for whomever. They were not lying when they said if Kadri walks we can fill from in house.

Joe has been working this masterfully and we will see if Mac does the same (or if Joe is assisting with it). We offered a 2x7.5. They would not have done that if they could not afford it. If they did not have a plan.
                                So far:
                                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                                X