No announcement yet.

5 great Horror Novels that I recommend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 great Horror Novels that I recommend.

Halloween is almost here...and that is great because there are all sorts of awesome shows on the history channel.

The scariest form of media (scarier than movies) to me is the novel. And in the spirit of Halloween, I will present to you the scariest novels I have ever read.

In no particular order.

1. Dracula By Bram Stoker -In another 100 years this book will still be creepy as heck.

2. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson -An awesome Vampire novel that you have probably heard they are making a movie off of (no doubt that Will Smith will screw it up).

3. The Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold -Probably the most emotional book I have ever read. If you can make it through the first chapter, you will love the book. A depressing tale of a 14-year old girl who is raped/murdered, and she is narrating the story from her view in heaven of the futile attempts to catch her murderer, and her family falling apart. Movie of the same title, directed by that Lord Of The Rings guy due out in '09.

4. World War Z by Max Brooks -A "fictional" account of the war between zombies and humans. Very well done. It's hard to make a good zombie novel without it being cheesy.

5. House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - A very unorthodox novel. Kind of like the "Blair Witch Project" in it's feel as your reading it. It is hard to describe what the book is about. I will try not to confuse you. I will say that it is about a man who is reading the manuscripts of a blind man who wrote a book about a documentary that was written about a house that is larger on the inside than it is on the outside. Strange hallways open, monstrous ballrooms, and 7 mile tall spiral stairways appear in the house where their should only be window overlooking the back yard. It can be confusing because of all the footnotes (footnotes in the footnotes). But well worth the effort. (Every single time the world "house" is used in the book, it is in blue ink!?!)
    Last edited by sneakers; 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM.

Very cool!!

Your #1 is easily my favorite horror novel and #2 makes my top 10.

A few more:

1. Ancient Images --Ramsey Campbell (my favorite author)
    2. Son of the Endless Night -- John Farris
    3. Fiends--John Farris
    4. They Thirst -- Robert R McCammon
    5. House of Caine -- Ken Eulo
    6. Midnight Sun -- Ramsey Campbell
    7. Salem's Lot -- Stephen King
    Last edited by keithbishop; 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
      Very cool!!

Your #1 is easily my favorite horror novel and #2 makes my top 10.

A few more:

1. Ancient Images --Ramsey Campbell (my favorite author)
      2. Son of the Endless Night -- John Farris
      3. Fiends--John Farris
      4. They Thirst -- Robert R McCammon
      5. House of Caine -- Ken Eulo
      6. Midnight Sun -- Ramsey Campbell
      7. Salem's Lot -- Stephen King
      Crap!! I forgot all about Salem's lot....That book is really creepy!! I would have had to ad a six book to my list if I would have remembered it.

Comment

i am legend = the omega man starring charleton heston
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
          i am legend = the omega man starring charleton heston

Also: The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price.

The Last Man on Earth is easily the better of the two.
          My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Working...
          X