Jay Leno not ready to give up Host!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Leno not ready to give up Host!

I would love to see Jay stay..He is such a funny guy!! I love the Tonight Show!

It appears that even though Jay Leno has reportedly been making some noise about not wanting to leave his cushy gig as host of “The Tonight Show” in two years, his boss has basically said: “Love ya dude, but ya gotta go sit somewhere else at the family picnic.”

On Monday, NBC Universal CEO and President Jeff Zucker told a gathering of media critics, reporters and NBC U employees at Syracuse University that the network was going to honor its commitment to Conan O’Brien, making him the next host of the fabled late-night chat fest once hosted by the late Johnny Carson, in 2009 when Leno comes to the end of his five-year retirement tour.

Given a choice, you’d think Zucker, who has publicly said he’d like to keep Leno in the family, would stick with the guy who is the proven winner. Leno has routinely kicked David Letterman’s butt in the ratings since their late-night battle commenced in 1992. O’Brien has no chance against an aging fine wine like Letterman, even with the nice head start Leno would leave him.
    So, if Leno is indeed having second thoughts about turning his swivel chair over to O’Brien, let Jay stay.

There are a plethora of reasons why Zucker should consider keeping Leno on “Tonight.” First, O’Brien is probably too nice a guy to sue. And if the network added a few zeros to his paycheck, O’Brien would probably be willing to wait his turn.

Two, late night TV viewers are creatures of habit. They embrace the familiar. That said, if Leno is winning the ratings race now, he’ll likely keep winning it five, 10 or 15 years from now.

More importantly, Leno should stay in Burbank because he’s one of the few comedians on the scene that rarely gets crucified by the pundits du jour whenever he does go left. It’s not that Leno always plays it safe, but even when he goes there — he never completely goes over the edge. He just kind of peeks over the cliff and jokes about what’s going on below. Leno, more than any other late-night host, is a guy that everyone from 8 to 80 can relate to. His man-on-the-street segments are still hilarious, and he never has to phone it in because at 57 he continually works on this craft by popping in comedy clubs throughout L.A. unannounced.

The only bad move Leno ever made was introducing us to Ross the Intern. We’d all be so much better off if someone could cut his 15 minutes down to five seconds.

Conversely, O’Brien, 44, is very funny, but he’s like the goofy kid brother you don’t want to be bothered with for extended periods of time. Five minutes of O’Brien is like working a full day with benefits. It’s satisfying on some level. Ten minutes is like unpaid overtime. You’re not really into it. Plus, it really is hard to get past that hair some nights.

And, even though neither are great interviewers, O’Brien is far more reliant on gimmicks than Leno is. That gets old real quick — particularly when there are so many more options in our 3,000-channel universe. O’Brien’s humor is truly more suited to his 12:30 a.m. time slot. By that time those likely to be offended by his over-the-topness or bored by his C- and D-list guests, have already been asleep for at least three hours.

But since it looks as though Zucker will be activating the eject button on Leno’s chair in favor of the younger, taller and hairier O’Brien in two years, keeping Leno in the family might be more challenging than letting him remain on “Tonight.”

When a guy has been on that kind of platform for so long, it’s hard to ask him to fill in for O’Brien, make a few appearances on “30 Rock” as Alec Baldwin’s father or commit to some kind of Bravo man-on-the-street reality show. And because the late-night talk show format is about two seconds away from going the way of the eight-track tape, it seems improbable that network programmers would want to put Leno behind another desk. So, for now, he should just stay at the one he’s at.

Personally, I won't feel sad to see him go. He's somewhat slightly funny, but Letterman is funnier and so is Conan.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

I say Bring Conan up now. Conan is much more funny. Always has been. I've never liked Leno. He's not funny, more like annoying. I'm tired of him and Kevin laughing at every stupid joke he says.

I always hated when I'd sit down to watch Carson (and no I don't mean Daly) and then Leno would come out as guest host. Grrr.

O'Brian is hilarious. The great thing about him is that when something is stupid, he knows it and then makes fun of himself. Leno expects people to love him and laugh at everything.

and I don't even really care about Letterman.
      Last edited by RealBronco; 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM. Reason: My bad......
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I think the article writer is under-estimating the cultural impact of the 35 - under crowd who have cultivated a loyalty to O'Brien since they were in college. I am in that group, and Letterman is better than Leno (who quite frankly does 'dumb' comedy..Letterman is sharper), and O'Brien may be an acquired taste, but he is more relevant to the desired age group advertisers seek than Leno is.

Geek humor has been in since MST3000 back in the day on Comedy Central. NBC should have actually done this move earlier, but ratings do make you money, so I can understand that being more important than being hip.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

I love Jay Leno.. I will be sad to see him go, and wont be watching The Tonight Show anymore when Conan takes over.. I think Conan is an idiot, some of his stuff is funny, but when he acts like a 4th grade school boy more then half the time I just sit there with a blank stare asking myself why I am even watching this guy..
          WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

Originally posted by dandaman23 View Post
            I just sit there with a blank stare asking myself why I am even watching this guy..

I'm asking that of you also..........If ya don't like him, why are you watching?

I like Conan and Letterman and yes, even Leno a little..........

PEACE!!!

Comment

Jay Leno's monologue(sp) everynight is way better than Lettermans......and Conan does not even deserve to be part of the discussion.......or late night t.v., for that matter....
              My 3 favorite teams:
              1.The Denver Broncos
              2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
              3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

I'd watch Conan O'Brien over Leno any day.

Imo, Leno has been living off the "head start" he got from Carson from the get-go....

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                  I'd watch Conan O'Brien over Leno any day.

Imo, Leno has been living off the "head start" he got from Carson from the get-go....
                  Leno absolutely BORED me to death with his jokes. His monologue isn't funny... its intended for the 60 yr old crowd that has been watching the Late Night since Carson.

But Leno Suuuuure got paid well to entertain those old timers.... I would have done it.

Comment

I like Leno and Conan..

I think Leno is pretty darn funny!.. He cracks me up! I like Headlines and Jaywalking..those are always a riot

Comment

Originally posted by broncophan View Post
                      Jay Leno's monologue(sp) everynight is way better than Lettermans......and Conan does not even deserve to be part of the discussion.......or late night t.v., for that matter....

I think Leno has been doing the same bits for too long.

And I think his humor is too obvious.

You're being a touch harsh on Conan. More than Letterman or Leno, Conan is a writer and editor. He wrote for The Simpsons, SNL, and Not Necessarily the News. He has won a lot of Emmys. So, while funny is subjective, it's not as if no one laughs at his humor.

I think some people tune him out because he is not afraid of making a joke that he knows not everyone if going to get it.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                      You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post
                        I think Leno has been doing the same bits for too long.

And I think his humor is too obvious.

You're being a touch harsh on Conan. More than Letterman or Leno, Conan is a writer and editor. He wrote for The Simpsons, SNL, and Not Necessarily the News. He has won a lot of Emmys. So, while funny is subjective, it's not as if no one laughs at his humor.

I think some people tune him out because he is not afraid of making a joke that he knows not everyone if going to get it.
                        Not to mention the fact that he's not afraid to admit when his jokes suck, which his audience seems to appreciate even more. He gets more laughs by being more real and sincere than by just doing a dry monologue and cueing the "Applause" sign.

Leno has never interested me. Like I said, Carson was amazing and I always got miffed when Leno would guest-host.

I would say that O'Brian is rather intelligent about the way he does his show. He knows the crowd, he knows the jokes and how to play the audience. He's not afraid to goof off and I don't think he's an idiot.

I can't say much about Letterman, though I prefer him over Leno. Leno is just the bottom of the pile here.
                        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                        X