Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is HDTV really worth it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is HDTV really worth it?

    So today I was at BestBuy and I saw some nice HDTVs, I was really digging the picture clarity and the widescreen. I would love to have one, but then I asked myself, is it worth all the hassle and prices? Not sure what size I would get either. The prices range from what? Like 1,000 to 10,000 or so? Expensive.

    Also there's the hassle of getting a DirecTV HD tuner for Sunday Ticket in HD. Cables, chips, and etc.

    So I ask you, is getting an HDTV really worth it?

  • #2
    YES! Get it..At the beginning of the season we got a brand new 65 inch HDTV.. You will not be dissappointed..
    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dandaman23 View Post
      YES! Get it..At the beginning of the season we got a brand new 65 inch HDTV.. You will not be dissappointed..
      Nice, how much was a HD tuner box? Around the price area of about $300 or so?

      But what if I want an HDTV in my room, do I have to get another HD tuner?

      Comment


      • #4
        Get it!
        Samsung makes a very good lcdhdtv with a contrast ratio of 5000:1 for a reasonable price.
        Invest in a hdmi cable, it replaces all those rca cables.
        Directv is no hassle, some would argue this, the only hassle is waiting on the guy to show up and that's goes for EVERY cable co.

        I paid 330 for the Sunday ticket and the super fan pass. You get almost all the games in hd.

        Good luck, have fun and enjoy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
          So today I was at BestBuy and I saw some nice HDTVs, I was really digging the picture clarity and the widescreen. I would love to have one, but then I asked myself, is it worth all the hassle and prices? Not sure what size I would get either. The prices range from what? Like 1,000 to 10,000 or so? Expensive.

          Also there's the hassle of getting a DirecTV HD tuner for Sunday Ticket in HD. Cables, chips, and etc.

          So I ask you, is getting an HDTV really worth it?
          ive sold tv's for 13 years plus

          i dont need one myself but many people do. it really depends on what your into. people spend money on many things that they think they want/need.
          my advice is spend the money wisely.

          you can go overboard while spending for cables, accesories, and warranties.

          the cables rule of thumb is about 15% to 20% of your purchase price you will need to spend on cables. this would include your hdmi connections, surge protector, auido cables, better splitter, all if needed. dont go overboard with these things the hdmi/dvi cables can get very expensive. when dealing with an hdmi or digital connection you really dont need the best thing since sliced bread. the better cables start getting better shielding and whatnot but when dealing with a hdmi cable that is say $40 and one that is $100 you really arent going to notice a difference on most of the products out there.

          ive had salespeople who sold hdmi cables to people that cost more than the product itself $150 dvd player with $200 hdmi. this makes no sense whatso ever, but the customer was looking at the whole $$$$$ not the product $$$$ he was using for that particular cable.

          the problem most people have when making these tv purchases is they dont budget everything that they need to make the tv look good.

          with a smaller budget in mind get the basics
          tv $$$$
          surge protector $$$$
          warranties (that another ball of wax and it depends on the type of tv you are looking at)
          hdmi, ddvi, component ble (depends on equiptment and what you have hd cable box, dvd player, gaming system etc....)



          is it worth the hassle???

          depends on your own wants and needs but if you need help pm me and i can point ya in the right direction
          sigpic

          sig by B4B6..

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the help guys!

            Comment


            • #7
              Heck yes! It totally is...watching sports just isn't the same after you watch your first game in HD. The prices are plummeting the last few years, wait until after Christmas, get one then.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lynchembaby View Post
                ive sold tv's for 13 years plus

                i dont need one myself but many people do. it really depends on what your into. people spend money on many things that they think they want/need.
                my advice is spend the money wisely.

                you can go overboard while spending for cables, accesories, and warranties.

                the cables rule of thumb is about 15% to 20% of your purchase price you will need to spend on cables. this would include your hdmi connections, surge protector, auido cables, better splitter, all if needed. dont go overboard with these things the hdmi/dvi cables can get very expensive. when dealing with an hdmi or digital connection you really dont need the best thing since sliced bread. the better cables start getting better shielding and whatnot but when dealing with a hdmi cable that is say $40 and one that is $100 you really arent going to notice a difference on most of the products out there.

                ive had salespeople who sold hdmi cables to people that cost more than the product itself $150 dvd player with $200 hdmi. this makes no sense whatso ever, but the customer was looking at the whole $$$$$ not the product $$$$ he was using for that particular cable.

                the problem most people have when making these tv purchases is they dont budget everything that they need to make the tv look good.

                with a smaller budget in mind get the basics
                tv $$$$
                surge protector $$$$
                warranties (that another ball of wax and it depends on the type of tv you are looking at)
                hdmi, ddvi, component ble (depends on equiptment and what you have hd cable box, dvd player, gaming system etc....)



                is it worth the hassle???

                depends on your own wants and needs but if you need help pm me and i can point ya in the right direction

                I don't know where you are buying your HDMI cables, you can get them on the internet for $15.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sneakers View Post
                  I don't know where you are buying your HDMI cables, you can get them on the internet for $15.
                  man i wouldn't ever buy 15 dollar hdmi cables.

                  hd is worth it if you enjoy things that utilize it. well, in a few years, everything will be hd, so you can either wait, or jump in now.

                  it depends what you do...

                  -if you play video games, get an hdtv now. there's no better way to experience games. i've got a sharp aquos (which i settled for) that displays 1080p. it's not even the tv i had my heart set on, but it's still amazing.

                  -if you watch movies alot, get one. regular dvds upconverted look nicer, but the king of all kings as far as movies go, are blu ray and hd dvd movies. you'll notice the difference. these can also be displayed in 1080p, which is optimal.

                  -if all you do is watch tv, consider how much your cable company adds for getting hd channels. sometimes it's a rip off, and the channels or the receivers they sell don't, or won't, display true hd anyway. it still looks nice but the number of channels are limited. though alot of sports are being shown in hd now. football, and hockey especially is the best to watch in hd. however, put alot of thought into this if it's all you do.

                  also, make sure to get a 1080p tv, if you haven't figured that out by now lol. if you're going to jump in, may as well jump in all the way. and if you're really just defecating money at the moment, get a plasma. they're more expensive but still better than lcd, and esp projections, which i'd suggest never buying. plasmas are less liable to ghost on you (where fast moving objects appear to leave trails behind) and various other things i can explain later if you like.

                  tvs, video games and technology have been "my thing" ever since i was a kid. if you seek any kind of answers or help on anything let me know, i'll help as much as i can.
                  Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.


                  Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                  Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good choice with the sharp aquos. I was very close to purchasing one, it was either that, a sony bravia or toshiba regza. I end up getting the toshiba which is very good. But in general, it will be worth it to have a hdtv before feb 09, when the analog signal switches over to digital.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sneakers View Post
                      I don't know where you are buying your HDMI cables, you can get them on the internet for $15.
                      you can also get hdmi cables free in the box with some purchases

                      like ive said i have worked for 13 years selling audio/video equiptment. you can find anything on the internet cheaper than in stores. hdmi cables typically run anywhere from $40 to $200 plus.

                      the reason i stated $40 is when someone walks into a "store" to buy a tv the hdmi cables price usually varies from $40 n up

                      all in all you get what you pay for.
                      sigpic

                      sig by B4B6..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just got a 42" Vizio LCD HDTV (1080p) and I love it! I did a lot of research so I could get the most bang for my buck and I have not been disappointed at all. The warranty is really the only downfall, so I got the one from Circuit City to be safe.

                        It was mentioned earlier that plasmas are better than LCD's, well if you go with the former you may want to look for ones with anti-reflective screens and screen savers. Images can burn into a plasma if left on too long and they can be hard to see in bright rooms because of the glare.

                        It was also mentioned earlier that 1080p is the way to go. Well keep in mind there are no stations that broadcast in this resolution because of bandwidth problems and probably won't be for at least a couple years. The only way you can really get the full resolution out of these TV's is with a Blu Ray player. I still went with 1080p because it's not everyday you make such a large purchase, so I wanted the technology to be as new as possible in the areas that I could afford.

                        I've really had no problems with images streaking on my screen. My TV has a response time of 8 ms which is about as high as you want to go. I was watching Oceans 13 this weekend and sometimes when the camera would pan across the room quickly it would get blurry, but I've had no problems with it when watching sports (or even other movies).

                        Also, the contrast ratio was mentioned earlier but it can be misleading. There is no industry standard for measuring it so it is only advantageous to look at if you're looking at TV's within the same brand name. 1500:1 for one brand may have better contrast than another with the same ratio.

                        I have digital cable so I just switched out my cable box to the HD version, and upgraded my package to include a few HD channels. I'm only paying @ $10 more in the end.

                        Do your research! Not everyone wants the same things in a TV so you should find one that suits your needs. I read a lot of reviews about the TV I bought prior to purchasing and felt much more confident doing so. I also learned what things to look for because the quality of the picture in the store shouldn't be the only thing you rely on.

                        Good luck, and happy HD viewing...you won't be disappointed!
                        My other love...
                        sigpic
                        305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks guys! What's with the negs that I got for creating this thread?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
                            Thanks guys! What's with the negs that I got for creating this thread?
                            you got a neg cp for this thread ?????

                            wow!!!!!!

                            was it signed??????? if it was i would pm that person to find out why

                            otherwise if it wasnt signed i would make a thread in feedback and ask a mod to look into it for ya

                            all in all they are only cp's anyway and if someone has the negging ability they can neg for whatever reason they feel. some people are cowards and dont sign negs some sign em and tell ya why.
                            sigpic

                            sig by B4B6..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lynchembaby View Post
                              you got a neg cp for this thread ?????

                              wow!!!!!!

                              was it signed??????? if it was i would pm that person to find out why

                              otherwise if it wasnt signed i would make a thread in feedback and ask a mod to look into it for ya

                              all in all they are only cp's anyway and if someone has the negging ability they can neg for whatever reason they feel. some people are cowards and dont sign negs some sign em and tell ya why.
                              I hit Beast#7 with some + points

                              Merry Christmas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X