Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Just wondering what type of music you guys are into... a survey for school.
    Thanks for the memories, Ed.
    Can't wait for playoff time!

Re: Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Originally posted by edmccaffrey87
    Just wondering what type of music you guys are into... a survey for school.

Classic rock/metal (i.e. AC/DC, KISS, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Queen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dokken, Queensryche, Cheap Trick)

I also enjoy a lot of newer post-punk stuff that has been on the radio. It was called 'alternative' in the 80's, when that term meant something, but for lack of a better term, I will call it 'modern pop/rock' (R.E.M., U2, Goo Goo Dolls, Stone Temple Pilots, Dave Mattews Band, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Matthew Sweet, Jane's Addiction, Teenage Fanclub)

I am a big sucker for classic Motown.

I also have my "other" category (Barenaked Ladies, They Might Be Giants, Jude, The Band, XTC)

Classic hip-hop (RUN-DMC, LL Cool J, Whoudini, Kool Moe Dee, Erik B and Rakim, EPMD, Slick Rick)

And of course, Mozart, Mahler, Bach, Beethoven, etc...my wife's influence

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Re: Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Originally posted by Jared
      Dave Mattews Band
      Thank you. They are my favourite band of all time and I always get made fun of for it. I thought I was alone!!!

Comment

Anything rock. Classic (AC DC, Van Halen) to modern. Occasionally I listed to rap just because the lyrics are hillarious. Country is to damn slow, mozert and company put me to sleep, and that other catergory Jared mentioned has its moments. Sorry I don't like DMB.
        Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

I like everything from Opera to rap.........but NOT country. I HATE country music. Hip Hop is probably my favorite (cause I love to dance) but my favorite singer is Chad Kroger of Nickelback. I love, love, love his voice. It turns me to jello everytime I hear it. Just drives me crazy

Comment

Hip hop baby! some of the new stuff, but I like easy E, NWA, Biggy, pac. all that stuff.
            I also listen to some older rock too, zeppelin, floyd, van halen. stuff like that, but I HATE country.....

one thing tho, wasnt there a thread like this a while back?

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Classic rock/metal (i.e. AC/DC, KISS, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Queen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dokken, Queensryche, Cheap Trick)

I also enjoy a lot of newer post-punk stuff that has been on the radio. It was called 'alternative' in the 80's, when that term meant something, but for lack of a better term, I will call it 'modern pop/rock' (R.E.M., U2, Goo Goo Dolls, Stone Temple Pilots, Dave Mattews Band, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Matthew Sweet, Jane's Addiction, Teenage Fanclub)

I am a big sucker for classic Motown.

I also have my "other" category (Barenaked Ladies, They Might Be Giants, Jude, The Band, XTC)

Classic hip-hop (RUN-DMC, LL Cool J, Whoudini, Kool Moe Dee, Erik B and Rakim, EPMD, Slick Rick)

And of course, Mozart, Mahler, Bach, Beethoven, etc...my wife's influence
              After a quick breeze through your list, I don't see any C&W. Don't you work at KSON? Isn't that a country station? Isn't that like rootin' for the raiduhs?

P.S. I'd add Foreigner to your classic rock list - only the old stuff, not the gooey, later stuff.

Comment

Ahhhh....very nice list of bands. I especially like your choice of Queensryche! Did you happen to catch them on tour this year? I saw them in Denver this summer...they rocked!! Met them after the concert too...great bunch of guys.

Comment

RaP-.......3-6 mafia, lil jon, youngbloodz, 50, Jay-Z, G-uNiT, Pac, ....
                  -RyAn-

Comment

I think the user name says it all
                    Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

good MMMuuusssiiiccc

The usual suspects:
                      Hendrix, Floyd, Who, Zeppelin, Tull, Zappa, Aerosmith, Allmans, Cars, Dire Straits, Police, Pretenders, Pistols, Costello, REM, Gabriel ... on & on.

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Moussorgsky, et al ... sooner or later, every true music lover will discover that there's a good reason this stuff is still around.

Hey, somebody else likes XTC! I've never even met anyone who's heard of 'em. What an original band. Other "other"s: School of Fish, Todd Snider, Sonia Dada, & the incomparable Little Feat.

I like a lot of newer stuff, too; I just don't pay as much attention anymore.

Yes: Country blows. Originality is a foreign concept to these "artists": half the titles come from bumper stickers.

Don't like rap, either; probably I'm too old to.

And sorry, Ozz: I never liked Sabbath, even a little. Well, except Iron Man, & I was 17 then.

As a former rock musician though (2 #&@%!n decades), my hugest inspiration through the years was and is: Todd Rundgren, with or without Utopia. That man's a freaking genius.
                      Last edited by donkeypong; 11-27-2003, 04:23 AM.
                      "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13
                        Hip hop baby! some of the new stuff, but I like easy E, NWA, Biggy, pac. all that stuff.
                        I also listen to some older rock too, zeppelin, floyd, van halen. stuff like that, but I HATE country.....

one thing tho, wasnt there a thread like this a while back?
                        If there was a thread like this earlier, sorry for the repeat. I'm still fairly new to the boards.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Originally posted by LawDog
                          After a quick breeze through your list, I don't see any C&W. Don't you work at KSON? Isn't that a country station? Isn't that like rootin' for the raiduhs?

P.S. I'd add Foreigner to your classic rock list - only the old stuff, not the gooey, later stuff.

I'm working at KSON right now actually! I am a radio professional, and I am enough of a radio and music junkie that i certainly keep up with country, but its not my first choice. I can't relate to a lot of the lyrics and lifestyle. I do own some Waylon Jennings, Vince Gill, the Dixie Chicks, and Garth Brooks. I did light rock/ for two years, and I am no way a fan of Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Phil collins and the like. I don't HATE the music, but being a die hard fan is not a job requirement.

I do like some Foreigner. My fave song is actually "Long Long Way from Home" Always dug that riff in the beginning. Also like "Blue Morning, Blue Day"

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Favorite band/singer/type of music?

Originally posted by #84FAN
                            Ahhhh....very nice list of bands. I especially like your choice of Queensryche! Did you happen to catch them on tour this year? I saw them in Denver this summer...they rocked!! Met them after the concert too...great bunch of guys.
                            I last saw them on the "Hear in the Now Frontier" tour. I heard Chris Degarmo is back, is that true? I haven't picked up "Tribe" yet. Definitely one of the most thoughtful of the 80's rock bands. And musically strong and diverse. Earlier, clearly influenced by Maiden and Priest. Later more melodic and concise structures, similar to what Rush was doing at the time. "Promised Land" did remind me of a metallic version of Pink Floyd. Always something different with those guys.

Comment

Re: good MMMuuusssiiiccc

Originally posted by donkeypong
                              The usual suspects:
                              Hendrix, Floyd, Who, Zeppelin, Tull, Zappa, Aerosmith, Allmans, Cars, Dire Straits, Police, Pretenders, Pistols, Costello, REM, Gabriel ... on & on.

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Moussorgsky, et al ... sooner or later, every true music lover will discover that there's a good reason this stuff is still around.

Hey, somebody else likes XTC! I've never even met anyone who's heard of 'em. What an original band. Other "other"s: School of Fish, Todd Snider, Sonia Dada, & the incomparable Little Feat.

I like a lot of newer stuff, too; I just don't pay as much attention anymore.

Yes: Country blows. Originality is a foreign concept to these "artists": half the titles come from bumper stickers.

Don't like rap, either; probably I'm too old to.

And sorry, Ozz: I never liked Sabbath, even a little. Well, except Iron Man, & I was 17 then.

As a former rock musician though (2 #&@%!n decades), my hugest inspiration through the years was and is: Todd Rundgren, with or without Utopia. That man's a freaking genius.
                              Rundgren is definitely very original. Kind of an acquired taste. I respect him. And I can't believe no one else has ever heard of XTC where you are. Wow. Gotta open their eyes.

Country. I wrote on here about how its a very earnest and emotional form of music, and that seems kind of hokey to a lot of people, even to me to an extent. But like other genres, there are artists I like and respect, and "artists" who I think are trash.

I keep hearing about Todd Snider. Who is he and why do I keep hearing his name. Is it worth checking out?

Comment

Working...
                              X