Curious how many have read/watched "Into the Wild"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious how many have read/watched "Into the Wild"

The story is about Chris McCandless, a young man who after graduating college, becomes somewhat of a vagabond, tramping across the American West.

He winds up dying in Alaska after ingesting some seeds that had a deadly mold on them, making him too weak to hunt, therefore starving to death.

I found this story very intriguing and just wanted to know if anyone else here had read this or watched the movie(I've done both) and what their thoughts were.

Discuss if you please.
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

I thought the movie/story was very interesting. I have recommended this movie to many people since. It's long and a little slow, but the story is so good that it's well worth the watch!!

Comment

I have very often romanticized the West and the Great Alaskan frontier.

I could relate very well to this kid, although I don't know that I could put my family through what he did by not communicating.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
        The story is about Chris McCandless, a young man who after graduating college, becomes somewhat of a vagabond, tramping across the American West.

He winds up dying in Alaska after ingesting some seeds that had a deadly mold on them, making him too weak to hunt, therefore starving to death.

I found this story very intriguing and just wanted to know if anyone else here had read this or watched the movie(I've done both) and what their thoughts were.

Discuss if you please.
        I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but it sounds very interesting. Is the book better than the movie? That's usually the case.

Comment

I watched the movie first. And it was kind of slow, but like I said, it really appealed to me.

But I just read the book this week, and I felt it was really well written. It takes you though why he did things and why the author thinks he did things that way.

Anyways, I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to alot of people, but you really have to enjoy stuff like this.

I don't know. It just appeals to me. I can see myself in this kid, although I'd do a whole lot more research and would be less inclined(I believe) to put myself in real dangersous situations.

Comment

I read this book about 3 or 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. To take off and travel like he did was something I don't aspire to, and I think that's why it was so interesting to me.

He really felt like he had to go searching somewhere to find meaning in his life, which I thought was sad. I think at the end he realized how much he missed his family and those few people he made friends with on his travels. I was so disheartened when he couldn't go home because of the swollen river. I think he was ill prepared to stay in the bush like he did and didn't respect nature enough.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but he didn't have enough provisions and didn't think about scenarios beforehand, like how hard it would be to hunt and gather enough food and how the weather would turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Chica_Ang View Post
              I read this book about 3 or 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. To take off and travel like he did was something I don't aspire to, and I think that's why it was so interesting to me.

He really felt like he had to go searching somewhere to find meaning in his life, which I thought was sad. I think at the end he realized how much he missed his family and those few people he made friends with on his travels. I was so disheartened when he couldn't go home because of the swollen river. I think he was ill prepared to stay in the bush like he did and didn't respect nature enough.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but he didn't have enough provisions and didn't think about scenarios beforehand, like how hard it would be to hunt and gather enough food and how the weather would turn.
              I agree when it comes to your hypothesis regarding Chris's demise. While nature can be beautiful, it can also be cold and unforgiving. I think Chris underestimated that and it cost him his life.

I read this book a few months ago and thought it was a really good read. Part of me thinks that Chris wanted his family (his father in particular) to suffer from his absence.

It's kinda sad that Chris died alone, but he had no one to blame but himself.
              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

yeah an unfortunate end that chris died alone.

Comment

I've been interested in seeing the movie for a long time, because there's an actress in it that I like (Kristen Stewart). I'll be reading the book and watching the movie soon.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
                    I read this book a few months ago and thought it was a really good read. Part of me thinks that Chris wanted his family (his father in particular) to suffer from his absence.

It's kinda sad that Chris died alone, but he had no one to blame but himself.
                    Yep. I agree. I hadn't thought about the part about him wanting his father to suffer, but I can see where you are coming from.

Comment

Working...
                    X