RIP paul newman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP paul newman

WESTPORT, Conn. — Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money" — and as an activist, race car driver and popcorn impresario — has died. He was 83.

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

continued here

one of my favorite actors

rip paul newman
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Actor Paul Newman dead at age 83
    By Howard Kissel
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, September 27th 2008, 9:04 AM

Paul Newman, the legendary actor, director, race car driver and philanthropist, whose blue eyes were rivaled only by Sinatra's, has died at the age of 83.

The star of such iconic films as "The Hustler," "Cool Hand Luke" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," Newman always appeared high up on any list of screen legends, box office stars or sex symbols.

In 1982, along with writer A.E. Hotchner, he founded "Newman's Own," a company that began producing salad dressing and now also makes pasta sauce, lemonade, popcorn, salsa and dog food. (Newman sampled the dog food on an appearance on the Jay Leno show.)

His share of the profits of "Newman's Own" goes to charity - as of 2006 he had already contributed more than $220 million, compensation perhaps for his "embarrassment" that "my salad dressing grosses more than my movies."

One of the charities he founded is the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang, a camp for terminally ill children.

Although he was nominated for an Oscar 10 times he won his first in 1986 for "The Color of Money," in which he reprised the role of Eddie Felson that he created in "The Hustler" 25 years earlier.

Although he played the leads in "The Desperate Hours" and Tennessee Williams' "Sweet Bird of Youth" on Broadway in the '50s, just around the time his movie career was taking off, he didn't receive his first Tony nomination until 2003, when, at 78, he played the role of the Stage Manager in "Our Town."

Newman was born in Shaker Heights, Ohio, on Jan. 26, 1925. His father owned a dry-good store in which he worked briefly.

He was training to be a pilot during World War II but had to stop because he is colorblind. He served as a radio operator in the Navy. After the war attended Kenyon College, where he met and married his first wife, Jackie Witte. They had three children, Scott, Susan and Stephanie. (Scott died in 1978 of a drug overdose.)

He was "discovered" by two New York agents while he was studying at the Yale School of Drama. They quickly found him work in the burgeoning world of TV drama.

In 1953 he was cast as the understudy in the original Broadway production of William Inge's "Picnic." It was during the run of "Picnic" that he met his future wife, Joanne Woodward, who was also an understudy.

By 1954 he was a regular in Hollywood. He was so embarrassed about his first starring role, in "The Silver Chalice," a Biblical epic, that he took out an ad in Variety apologizing for it.

Soon his Hollywood career took off. In 1956 he won the starring role of Rocky Graziano in "Somebody Up There Likes Me," when the actor who was supposed to play it, James Dean, died in a car crash.

In 1958 he played Brick in Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" opposite Elizabeth Taylor, for which he won his first Oscar Nomination.

That same year in "The Left Handed Gun" he played Billy the Kid, the first in his gallery of anti-heroes, which included "Hud" in 1963, "Cool Hand Luke" in 1967 and Butch Cassidy in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in 1969.

Four years later he and his "Butch" co-star Robert Redford teamed up again in "The Sting."

Also in 1958 he starred in "The Long, Hot Summer" and was reunited with Woodward. He divorced his first wife and married her.

Unlike many Hollywood marriages, theirs was never plagued with rumors of infidelity. Newman's explanation: "Why go out for hamburger when you've got steak at home?"

They have three daughters, Elinor, Melissa and Claire. He directed Woodward in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel," which was nominated for Best Picture, and ""The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds," in which their daughter Elinor, whose stage name is Nell Potts, also appeared.

Woodward was the artistic director of the Westport Country Playhouse. She cast her husband as the Stage Manager in "Our Town" (the production that later transferred to Broadway.) In his program bio Newman described himself as a local manufacturer of salad dressing.

Recently he opened a restaurant near the theater called "The Dressing Room."
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

R.I.P. to a great man and my 3rd favorite actor. His spot on my favorites list is etched in stone, as are Christopher Lee at #1 and Peter Cushing at #2.

Comment

Damn! That sucks!

That explains the clip of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that was on the news
        President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
        I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

An amazing man in so many ways, he will be missed for sure, R.I.P.

Comment

Speaking of, just for the heck of it.........

1. Christopher Lee
            2. Peter Cushing
            3. Paul Newman
            4. James Stewart
            5. John Wayne
            6. Steve McQueen
            7. Charles Bronson
            8. Henry Fonda
            9. Clint Eastwood
            10. Vincent Price

Sadly, only Lee and Eastwood are still with us.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

He was a die-hard CHAMP Car co-owner. I admired him for that. And that's what I think of when I think of Paul Newman.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Man Cool Hand Luke dead? What a loss. RIP Paul NEWMAN

Comment

The Great Henry Gondorff

Butch Cassidy

Doc Hudson

Fast Eddie Felson

He was my favorite actor of all time! My the Lord be with Jo Anne Woodward.
                  Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                  sigpic

Comment

awww. man...

Hollywood's dropping like flies

requiescat in pace paul.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      The Great Henry Gondorff

Butch Cassidy

Doc Hudson

Fast Eddie Felson

Great pics, Mac!! This is a sad, sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                        The Great Henry Gondorff http://content.answers.com/main/cont...anTheSting.jpg

Butch Cassidy http://www.movieentertainment.ca/Sit...tchCassidy.jpg[

Doc Hudson http://images.motortrend.com/feature...doc_hudson.jpg

Fast Eddie Felson http://www.britannica.com/blogs/wp-c...1/image-3.jpeg

Thanks for all of those.
                        And let us not forget the Honorable Judge Roy Bean
                        Him and that Bear still crack me up lol.

Comment

I all most forgot.
                          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X