Clear All

My list:

-V for Vendetta
    -Sin City
    -Strange Wilderness
    -Agent Cody Banks

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
      ah hell i forgot that one. i was almost enraged after leaving the theatre on that one...

ah right... that one. i knew i forgot one. but they're all the same. "hey we're not talented enough to come up with our own plot, so lets make fun of everyone that actually can make movies. and people who smoke a ton of pot and are below the age of 17 will think we're awesome!"

Well, I'm glad I'm 4 years shy of 30. hahaha. I mean I'm not saying Superbad was an awesome movie. I'm just saying my maturity level allowed me to laugh my ass off at it...

Also, I'm not a fan of remakes either. Although I believe I'm a little more lenient than you are keith. For me it depends on who directs, writes, and stars, etc.

But for the most part remakes suck hard. Like, I can see a cool version of Magnificent 7 if you cast the right people. Like, you know maybe Norton, Bale, Pheonix and some others could make it work... heck i think those three can make anything work... lol...except for 3:10 to Yuma. the f*** Bale?

but yeah, I Am Legend sucked...

Superbad: perhaps I loathed it because it forced me to acknowledge my age coupled with the string of "greatest comedy of all time 10/10" type reviews I've read. Then again, perhaps it got a lot better after the 15 to 20 minutes I was able to watch. There's a chance it would have worked for me 10 years ago.

I'm not averse to the concept of remakes, as long as common sense is in play.

Psycho = Hitchcock + Perkins. Period.
      Death Wish = Bronson. Period.

As a general rule, I don't want my favorites messed with. I enjoyed every moment of 1979's Nosferatu The Vampyre, however, and can live with several others, even 3:10 to Yuma, except for the ending. There are remakes I'd love to see, To the Devil, a Daughter, for example. The original was betrayed by a lack of $$ and last minute editing changes/re-shot scenes that left Christopher Lee unable to recognize the ending when he saw the completed film. I like the story and would love to see it done right. I know I'm dreaming, but a little research + losing the emphasis on milking the cash cow could lead to some quality remakes.

Hollywood is free to e-mail me for suggestions.

The Magnificent Seven is an excellent example of a quality remake. IMO, it is a good companion to the original, The Seven Samurai. Part of the magic is due to the fact that the cast watched the original together before starting on the remake. In the commentary, James Coburn said he watched the original 7 times in the theater. John Elway and Craig Morton would appreciate the 7 angle.

A remake of The Seven Samurai will be released next year. I might watch it, depending on the cast and director, but when, not if, The Magnificent Seven is remade, I'll likely be too infuriated with the choice to step in for Steve McQueen to bother watching it.
      Last edited by keithbishop; 10-24-2008, 04:54 AM.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
        My list:

-V for Vendetta
        -Sin City
        -Strange Wilderness
        -Agent Cody Banks
        Just curious, why do you hate V for Vendetta and Sin City? I probably know the reason for V, but like I said, I'm curious.
        sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Ok people, I still havent seen that Indiana Jones movie. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Agent Cody Banks...I kinda like that movie.

What about Untraceable? Terrible movie.
          ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
            Just curious, why do you hate V for Vendetta and Sin City? I probably know the reason for V, but like I said, I'm curious.
            I hated V for Vendetta because it was drawn out (the ending felt like it should have been at the prison scene but they still needed to wrap it up), and it had potential to be very deep, but instead spoon-fed any imagery or critical thinking points to the viewer. That, and the action scenes were very lame and far between.

Sin City I liked the idea of it, but the movie was just to cheesy for my taste. I probably rated it too hard, but I was bored out of my mind watching it.

Comment

I hated V for Vendetta because it was drawn out (the ending felt like it should have been at the prison scene but they still needed to wrap it up), and it had potential to be very deep, but instead spoon-fed any imagery or critical thinking points to the viewer. That, and the action scenes were very lame and far between.

Sin City I liked the idea of it, but the movie was just to cheesy for my taste. I probably rated it too hard, but I was bored out of my mind watching it.
              See, I thought you hated V for Vendetta because it deviated so much from the graphic novel. That's my problem with some movies that are based off graphic novels. Some are a faithful translation, but others are just completely different experiences.

300 was a little over the top and even added some stuff (the whole story with Leonidas' wife back home), but it mostly remained faithful to the graphic novel. V strayed way too far for my taste.

Sin City grew on me. I expected a mind blowing experience when I saw it on opening night and was disappointed. I saw it again at the dollar theatre a couple of months later and was able to appreciate it a little more with tempered expectations. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

I must have a horrible taste in movies. I like a lot of the ones mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
                  People (like me) hate it because it was a lazy, obvious cash grab that sucked horribly. This movie was similar to the previous three Indy movies in name only. And Indy's name was used to draw in millions of people who happily remember the first three Indy films. We were suckered. I can't speak for everyone, but I felt like a chump when I was walking out of the theatre.

That's only the beginning. The main crux of my beef is that the three previous movies centered around religion. What was the focus of this most recent piece of crap? Aliens? Really? Is that the best they could do?

How many different religions are (or were) in the world? How many different civilizations are (or were) there in the world? Indy's a freaking archeologist! The possibilities are endless!

But besides what Skywalker said, there's also the refrigerator, a painfully long and boring chase scene in the jungle, a character who changes allegences more often than a girl changes her mind on what to wear before a date, and a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten (thank God).

The acting was putrid, the writing was ridiculous, and CGI looked pathetic. Harrison Ford looked like he had lost waaaaaaaaaay too much off his fastball to do even an aging Indy.

This latest Indy edition insulted me, plain and simple. Lucas and Speilberg might as well have broken into my home and taken a dump in my living room. I would've been less offended.

I think most of you where a sleep during most of the movie, that the only wat tha explains how you missed that fact that it is about a religon once again. Indy mentioned that fact that the Mayins wrapped there babies heads to deform them so they would look more like their gods. Which is 100% histotical. That did happen.

Second it was Harrison Ford that started the talks to get the movie made, he had to convence Lucas to make. Who in turn had to try to get Speilberg on board. This whole process started back in 2000. So it was not a "cash grab".

If you listen to the behind the scenes info some of the decitions make more since. For example one of the reasons it changed in tone, is the origianal three where set in the 30's so Lucas wanted the movie to have a feel of the action serials of the 30's. Since this one is in the 50's he wanted to have a B-movie type feel to it, like most of the movies of that time.

Also on the on set Speilburg was unsure about doing another "alien" movie after E.T. and "Close Encounters", once again it took convincing by Lucas.

Finally technecally it their are not "alieins" but "interdimential beings"
                  Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                  sigpic

Comment

Mt Boss's Daughter (Ashton Kutcher, Tara Reid). If anyone even remotely enjoyed this movie, I would never listen to their movie reviews and take them seriously. That movie had no redeeming value.

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      I think most of you where a sleep during most of the movie, that the only wat tha explains how you missed that fact that it is about a religon once again. Indy mentioned that fact that the Mayins wrapped there babies heads to deform them so they would look more like their gods. Which is 100% histotical. That did happen.

Second it was Harrison Ford that started the talks to get the movie made, he had to convence Lucas to make. Who in turn had to try to get Speilberg on board. This whole process started back in 2000. So it was not a "cash grab".

If you listen to the behind the scenes info some of the decitions make more since. For example one of the reasons it changed in tone, is the origianal three where set in the 30's so Lucas wanted the movie to have a feel of the action serials of the 30's. Since this one is in the 50's he wanted to have a B-movie type feel to it, like most of the movies of that time.

Also on the on set Speilburg was unsure about doing another "alien" movie after E.T. and "Close Encounters", once again it took convincing by Lucas.

Finally technecally it their are not "alieins" but "interdimential beings"
                      Right.........................that make alllllll the difference

Actually, I've got to admit I enjoyed taking my lad to watch it, and prefer it to The Temple of Doom
                      The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                      BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                      You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

I think you guys take movies (and yourself) too seriously, not everybody that makes a movie has to strive to make The Next Gone With The Wind......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                          I think you guys take movies (and yourself) too seriously, not everybody that makes a movie has to strive to make The Next Gone With The Wind......
                          Looks like someone enjoyed Beverly Hills Chihuahua....

Comment

basically anything done by m night shyamalan

god how i hate his movies
                            sigpic
                            -------

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                              agreed. I just like watching movies, whether there bad or good.
                              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Looks like someone enjoyed Beverly Hills Chihuahua....
                                I hate both Beverly Hills and Chihuahua's, but I do like Taco Bell.

Cheesy Crunch Wrap with extra hamburger, no lettuce. I whoop it's ass......

Comment

Working...
                                X