Cred killing movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
    I think most of you where a sleep during most of the movie, that the only wat tha explains how you missed that fact that it is about a religon once again. Indy mentioned that fact that the Mayins wrapped there babies heads to deform them so they would look more like their gods. Which is 100% histotical. That did happen.

Second it was Harrison Ford that started the talks to get the movie made, he had to convence Lucas to make. Who in turn had to try to get Speilberg on board. This whole process started back in 2000. So it was not a "cash grab".

If you listen to the behind the scenes info some of the decitions make more since. For example one of the reasons it changed in tone, is the origianal three where set in the 30's so Lucas wanted the movie to have a feel of the action serials of the 30's. Since this one is in the 50's he wanted to have a B-movie type feel to it, like most of the movies of that time.

Also on the on set Speilburg was unsure about doing another "alien" movie after E.T. and "Close Encounters", once again it took convincing by Lucas.

Finally technecally it their are not "alieins" but "interdimential beings"

Well he certainly nailed the B-Movie part.

Also you forgot War of the Worlds, where he basically stole the aliens from ID4 and put them in tripods instead of endo-skeletons and city destroyers and then instead of Will Smith we had to put up with Tom Cruise and his Jesus-like son who miraculously survived a nuclear blast and a tripod attack...

Also wasn't this film in the works for much longer than 2000? They've been trying to make a 4th since the 80's I thought... and there was another script entirely before this one. In fact the title was even worse: "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars" <---I'm not even kidding...

but seriously, aliens and skewing the whole El Dorado idea was a bit much. Sure it touched a little on the Myans' beliefs, but the film also kinda proves their beliefs right by having aliens show up and then this huge, gaudy, ridiculous, stereotypical, unoriginal flying saucer lift off from underneath El Dorado was a bit ... dumb.

I can't stand stereotypical "martian" aliens. with the big heads and skinny bodies, etc. I hated Mission to Mars for that lone reason. The ending of that movie was a giant cop-out and that's exactly what the ending to Indy 4 was.

at least the aliens in ID4 were cool looking and scary. granted they still had skinny bodies, but they were more squid-like and their heads looked better. plus they had those cool endo-skeletal body armor outfits too. and sweet looking fighter planes. the "city destroyers" though saucerish still looked awesome and they were just eerie.

but indy 4 sucked. basically.
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
      Well he certainly nailed the B-Movie part.

Also you forgot War of the Worlds, where he basically stole the aliens from ID4 and put them in tripods instead of endo-skeletons and city destroyers and then instead of Will Smith we had to put up with Tom Cruise and his Jesus-like son who miraculously survived a nuclear blast and a tripod attack...

Also wasn't this film in the works for much longer than 2000? They've been trying to make a 4th since the 80's I thought... and there was another script entirely before this one. In fact the title was even worse: "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars" <---I'm not even kidding...

but seriously, aliens and skewing the whole El Dorado idea was a bit much. Sure it touched a little on the Myans' beliefs, but the film also kinda proves their beliefs right by having aliens show up and then this huge, gaudy, ridiculous, stereotypical, unoriginal flying saucer lift off from underneath El Dorado was a bit ... dumb.

I can't stand stereotypical "martian" aliens. with the big heads and skinny bodies, etc. I hated Mission to Mars for that lone reason. The ending of that movie was a giant cop-out and that's exactly what the ending to Indy 4 was.

at least the aliens in ID4 were cool looking and scary. granted they still had skinny bodies, but they were more squid-like and their heads looked better. plus they had those cool endo-skeletal body armor outfits too. and sweet looking fighter planes. the "city destroyers" though saucerish still looked awesome and they were just eerie.

but indy 4 sucked. basically.

I got all my info about Harrison Ford wanting to reprise his role from the DVDs for the movie when Speilberg said "It was at a AFI tribute to Harrison Ford in 2000 that he (Ford) started to talk about doing Indy IV.

Spielberg also said they where asked about making another one not long after part III came out, you are right people outside of the three (Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford) wanted to do it but the 3 did not seriously talk about it untill 2000. That was why "Crusiade" ended with them riding off into the sunset, Speilberg wanted that to be a symbolic end to the franchise.

but the film also kinda proves their beliefs right
      Didn't Temple of Doom prove the beliefs of the Kali cult right when the stones started to glow, and Mala Ram ripped that dudes heart out of his chest with no gapping would, and could show it to him, and he did not die untill after he was lowered into the lava pit?

My whole point is what ever this film has, the other have as well. The problem is people look back on the Orignail three throught the filter of there childhood, rather then how they really where.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

Didn't Temple of Doom prove the beliefs of the Kali cult right when the stones started to glow, and Mala Ram ripped that dudes heart out of his chest with no gapping would, and could show it to him, and he did not die untill after he was lowered into the lava pit?

My whole point is what ever this film has, the other have as well. The problem is people look back on the Orignail three throught the filter of there childhood, rather then how they really where.

pretty sure that was just a "technical" flaw that came with the lack of technology and effects of the day... lol

i dunno. i just thought it was unneccessary to make a 4th and i was not wowed enough to justify the making of it. it wasn't exactly disappointing because i expected it to suck... but if you're going to go and continue something iconic like Indiana Jones, you better bring your A-Game, and neither Lucas nor Spielberg did that.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
          pretty sure that was just a "technical" flaw that came with the lack of technology and effects of the day... lol

i dunno. i just thought it was unneccessary to make a 4th and i was not wowed enough to justify the making of it. it wasn't exactly disappointing because i expected it to suck... but if you're going to go and continue something iconic like Indiana Jones, you better bring your A-Game, and neither Lucas nor Spielberg did that.
          I just notice I put WOULD instead of WOUND, lol. I don't think it was to a lack of special effect, though that would make more sence. LOL

sigpic

Comment

I just notice I put WOULD instead of WOUND, lol. I don't think it was to a lack of special effect, though that would make more sence. LOL
            well i was going to ignore it.

i dunno it could've been intentional to have no wound. but... who knows.

temple of doom was weird anyway.

speaking of weird, and World War II and such... my dream last night was a doozy. and the one two nights before was just as much. lol

:offtopic:

1st Dream Summary:

Wayne Enterprises. Secret Military Experiments (funded by W.E.). The Joker (created from the experiements). 1930. Mafia. The Penguin. Ivy League University. The F.B.I. Random damsel in distress. Harley Quinn. Bruce Wayne, The Joker and Cobblepot being university best buds... chase scenes involving The Joker and the F.B.I. Some pretty messed up, worse than Ledger's version haneous (sp?) crimes by The Joker...

uh... yeah. throughout the dream I switched from being Wayne to The Joker. It was VERY strange.

2nd Dream Summary:

World War II. Inside Berlin. Starts off with Invasion of Warsaw. I was a secret U.S. Government agent/spy (not C.I.A. obviously since it wasn't around yet). Gathering intelligence on a certain V.I.P. Random shootouts and gunfights with light and heavy artillary in the streets against the Nazis. Lots of sneaking around.

sometimes I think I was a Nazi brass secret agent randomly, but for the majority of the dream I was an American spy... and I can't remember why I was over there, but I think it had to do with gathering intel on Hitler...who i'd met face to face a few times throughout the dream...

my dreams are pretty much the weirdest kind of, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Southland Tales-type of stuff you can think of... lol.

end :offtopic:
            sigpic

Comment

I think most of you where a sleep during most of the movie, that the only wat tha explains how you missed that fact that it is about a religon once again. Indy mentioned that fact that the Mayins wrapped there babies heads to deform them so they would look more like their gods. Which is 100% histotical. That did happen.

Second it was Harrison Ford that started the talks to get the movie made, he had to convence Lucas to make. Who in turn had to try to get Speilberg on board. This whole process started back in 2000. So it was not a "cash grab".

If you listen to the behind the scenes info some of the decitions make more since. For example one of the reasons it changed in tone, is the origianal three where set in the 30's so Lucas wanted the movie to have a feel of the action serials of the 30's. Since this one is in the 50's he wanted to have a B-movie type feel to it, like most of the movies of that time.

Also on the on set Speilburg was unsure about doing another "alien" movie after E.T. and "Close Encounters", once again it took convincing by Lucas.

Finally technecally it their are not "alieins" but "interdimential beings"
              You know what? You're probably right. Between fighting off sleep and building my visceral hatred for this movie, I may have missed a few things. I sure as hell won't watch it again to see if I missed it.

So I dub thee Indy 4 expert guy person. I bow to your expertise.

Serious question. How did you like this movie but hate The Departed?

P.S. Indy 4 will always =
              Last edited by Ohio Broncos; 10-25-2008, 10:03 PM.
              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
                You know what? You're probably right. Between fighting off sleep and building my visceral hatred for this movie, I may have missed a few things. I sure as hell won't watch it again to see if I missed it.

So I dub thee Indy 4 expert guy person. I bow to your expertise.

Serious question. How did you like this movie but hate The Departed?

P.S. Indy 4 will always =

For one I did not have to see Jack Nicholson in Indy 4, like I did with The Retarded. Also it was to violent and had far to many profanity in it for my tastes. I had no susepense to it, the plot was dumb.

sigpic

Comment

For one I did not have to see Jack Nicholson in Indy 4, like I did with The Retarded. Also it was to violent and had far to many profanity in it for my tastes. I had no susepense to it, the plot was dumb.
                  Well it's a Scorsese movie. You can't have a Scorsese movie and a Disney plot in the same sentence. You're gonna get the violence, and the swearing and the such...

I dunno about the plot being dumb, but it wasn't supposed to be like, secretive or anything. It was written in a way that the audience had the omnipresence that a writer may have in narrating a story. We got to know who was who, and what was going on... And even then there were a few more surprises.

Basically this movie was just downright fun. I mean if you like mobster movies and cop/detective movies, this works great. And if you're Irish, it's a bonus... everyone had sick accents and the dialogue was superbly written. Great one-liners and witty humor...although very R rated indeed.

Also you have to realize it's a adaption of a Japanese trilogy. "Infernal Affairs" which I still have to see.

This is one of Jack's best performances in a long time. We're so used to seeing normal, Joker/Shining Jack, etc... and he actually decided to show up and be crazy in this film instead of phone it in. But he was definitely outplayed by basically everyone, starting with DiCaprio and ending with Wahlberg.

Basically, if you don't like violence and profanity etc. don't watch Scorsese films.

But The Departed was far from "retarded"

I mean, at least it didn't have Shia LeBeuf or Boof or however you spell his name...
                  sigpic

Comment

It sounds like you don't like Nicholson.

It's rated R, so you know it's gonna have swearing, violence, and the like.

So given your dislike of Nicholson, violence and swearing it's seems like you were predisposed to hate this movie. And like Real said, it's a Scorcese movie (see: Goodfellas, Raging Bull, etc.), what did you expect?

The Departed was well written, well acted, and very entertaining. It's a shame you had so many biases before you even sat down to watch this movie but this movie obviously wasn't for you. And chances are, you probably knew that before you saw it. Too bad, because it's a great movie.
                    sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Well I respect South for stickin' to his guns. There are a ton of movies I probably shouldn't ever watch. But I'm a film student for life and as such I've submitted myself to even the most horrible or unpopular for the sake of film education.

I think South and others will understand what I mean, but it's more of an LR topic so I'll leave that there.

So at the same time, as Ohio said, it was a well written, directed, acted and even shot film and deserved the acclaim it got from the particular society it was a part of.

If you took out all the swearing, I feel The Departed would still have a solid story-line and still be well acted and directed and the cinematography would still be the same. But it's a little odd to have a bunch of Bostonian/Irish mobsters or cops running around yelling: "Man... I'll get you... you don't even... freakin'... man... I'ma hurt you... bad... you're a real goon..." or whatever.

At the same time I guess I've no room to talk because the feature indie film I co-starred in had probably the worst language in the history of non-Kevin Smith films and most of it was created by me for my character. So...

*shrugs*
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X